Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Looking for a mongoose Amplifier / Amp B3 bike

Looking for a mongoose Amplifier B3 full bike. Any tips on where to find one are really well appreciated.

pm me or email me hjalti.parelius(-a-)gmail.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My AMP B2 may be what you are looking for. I attach and image - sorry it is dirty I could wash It !!!

I bought my bike in 1996 from a guy who had just turned pro and was getting a bike from sponsors (not sure when he bought it).

I rode the bike weekly for a couple of years (loved - loved – loved it) and then not at all for several years. Rode it recently (still sweet) - replaced the driver train - did not know it was vintage until someone told me the other day - since then I have been researching it and am quite impressed by what I have learned. A guy at a vintage bike shop in Wisconsin is helping me out and he advised that it’s the frame that makes it interesting and I could buy back the originals of the parts replaced for about $100.

I saw your post while I was doing some research on my AMP.I be happy to discuss selling it to you. I'll email you directly too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a mongoose Amplifier / Amp B3 bike-amp-b3.jpg  

Last edited by Still Snoozin; 03-10-2011 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    That's a B2, not a B3.
    Last edited by datasurfer; 03-10-2011 at 01:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here are some pics of my B3 which had a single downtube:

That top tube gusset on the B3 is very similar to the gusset found on the contemporary Turner Flux. Mongoose never built a B3 based bike that I recall, but maybe I just missed it along the way. I know they moved on to their own "amplifier 2" frame later which I am pretty sure was not an Amp based frame.

I owned a Mongoose Amplifier that I purchased new as a frameset in 1992/93 and it was much more flexy with the double down-tube. It was basically a re-badged B2. Having owned a Mongoose Amplifier/B2, a B3, and a B4 I personally favored the B3 as being the best handling and best looking with less flex. I wanted to like the B4 but never liked the handling of that bike. Wish I still had that original Amplifier though as it was ultralight and built with some nice select vintage 3dv parts.

Here is a Amp thread with some B2 pics. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24463

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks fro the correction - Someoneelse told me it wasa B3 - I really don't have the background to know myself. I just bought a "bike" years ago that a buddy recommended. I am enjoying learning more about it. I also am trying to guess what year it might have been made.

Does B1 mean it is older/newer ?? What years was the B1 made. What does B1,B2,B3,B4 indicate??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Snoozin
    Thanks fro the correction - Someoneelse told me it wasa B3 - I really don't have the background to know myself. I just bought a "bike" years ago that a buddy recommended. I am enjoying learning more about it. I also am trying to guess what year it might have been made.

Does B1 mean it is older/newer ?? What years was the B1 made. What does B1,B2,B3,B4 indicate??
    I'm no expert myself on old AMP/Mongoose bikes, but here is what I do know. The first generation of frames which have the twin downtube are known as the AMP B2 or if made by AMP for Mongoose, the Mongoose Amplifier. I believe they came out 92-93. They are also distinguishable from later iterations of the product by the F1 fork which has black steel legs vs. aluminum alloy legs. The AMP B3 has a single thicker downtube and the F2 fork which has alloy legs. I don't know too much about the B3 or the B4. I have a Mongoose F1 fork on an old 1994 Lightspeed Obed, because it is just about the lightest suspension fork I could find. However, with certain frame models and sizes, there is not enough clearance between the parallelogram mechanism and the downtube of the frame for the fork to turn without interference. I solved this issue on the size small Obed by using a Chris King headset and a +5 baseplate.
    Last edited by datasurfer; 03-10-2011 at 01:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks everyone - this is good stuff !

Certified Bike Junkie
    Lotta incorrect info in this thread.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Please feel free to add what you know - I am learning as I go - Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    Lotta incorrect info in this thread.
    That helps. So enlighten us.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Twin downtube version is a b2 or mongoose amplifier the only difference being the stickers. This was the first readily available version. B3 was essentially the same but singledowntube. B4 had shorter seat stays with inturupted seat tube design. B5 was a linkage design similar to the late 90s FSR bikes.

Fork names always start with F not B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    Twin downtube version is a b2 or mongoose amplifier the only difference being the stickers. This was the first readily available version. B3 was essentially the same but singledowntube. B4 had shorter seat stays with inturupted seat tube design. B5 was a linkage design similar to the late 90s FSR bikes.

Fork names always start with F not B.
    Thanks Muddybuddy. I made the changes to the post, so as to not spew out misinformation on this forum. So was there ever a production model called the B1? How did it differ from the B2?

Certified Bike Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by datasurfer
    Thanks Muddybuddy. I made the changes to the post, so as to not spew out misinformation on this forum. So was there ever a production model called the B1? How did it differ from the B2?
    I'm not sure, but I would assume there was some version or maybe just a prototype series before the B2. Maybe the great Oracle of Amp knowledge knows.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks - So it sounds like mine is a B2 (is that correct? ) - what year was that built?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    There never was a B-1 frame, the Mongoose Amplifier 2 was the same frame as the Amp B-3 except it came with a Risse supplied rear shock instead of the Amp thru-shaft shock. The colour of the Amplifier 2 was a blue main frame with polished swingarm instead of the black main frame of the Amplifier 1.

I have a 20" size B-3 which I've been considering unloading from my collection. I have TOO many full suspension bikes at the moment, especially 26er ones.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

DFA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    the Mongoose Amplifier 2 was the same frame as the Amp B-3 except it came with a Risse supplied rear shock instead of the Amp thru-shaft shock. The colour of the Amplifier 2 was a blue main frame with polished swingarm instead of the black main frame of the Amplifier 1
    Wrong. Mongoose switched to their own frame in 95 and called it Amplifier2.

It was the same rear end later used by Litespeed for their Hiwassee

Last edited by DFA; 03-11-2011 at 05:46 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have 2 AMP forks I'm willing to sell.. an original steel, new bushings and shafts.. Also an aluminum with very little time on.. Like new.. plus extra shafts, and a spring..

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA
    Wrong. Mongoose switched to their own frame in 95 and called it Amplifier2.

It was the same rear end later used by Litespeed for their Hiwassee

Glad you posted the amplifier 2 pics. I couldn't recall if it was a mac strut or not, but I knew it was not an amp research frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just for comparison. I purchased this bike new in 94 or 95. It's a Mongoose Amplifier. I should have left the decals alone, but hated them back then. This must have been the last year for the AMP built Mongoose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thats a sweet looking amplifier! I think your timing is about right for that black Amplifier as I recall the black amplifiers showing up at the races during the 94 season. I remember having tried two of the original iterations of cannondale FS bikes (Delta V 1000, and Delta V2000) in the 90-92 time frame and was one of the first guys in St.Louis to move to a newly-released Amplifier frame and fork. Man...that mac-strut/horst link design rear suspension was night and day better than those cannondales thats for sure.

Like yours mine started its life with the steel-legged F2 amp fork. Later I upgraded to the lighter all aluminum alloy F3 with what they referred to as an HD/DH kit which used a through-shaft shock damper on each side as opposed to the single damper on one side. The F3's spring also sat in the opposite direction of the original F2 forks spring. Thanks for the pic of that B2 this thread is starting to work on my desire to own another one.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Now if we're talking hen's teeth, I was running this in 94/95. S/N 0025. 5" of travel *.

* 2 1/2" vertically + 2 1/2" laterally..........even with the TWP brace and DFA Engineering booster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Great looking rocky ! Lateral suspension flex was the biggest drawback for sure. My B2 & B3 were both equipped with the seat stay brace. I found that although I preferred the ride of the amp rear thru shaft shock, the risse genesis rear shock really helped with the lateral flexiness. The shock shaft is ultimately what connects the rear of the bike to the main frame and the small size of the stock shocks shaft really exacerbates the flex issues. Anyone looking at buying an amp frame can still get the risse shock for those frames so keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

worked for Mongoose

Okay this is what I know, now take this for thought
    I managed one of the larger Mongoose shops in MA and was a sponsored rider
    had an original Mongoose twin tube amp - broke it
    rode a amplifier (B3) with the oval downtube (still have it)
    1996 they had the all aluminum Frank The Welder Amplifier II
    front was FTW rear was Amp Research this bike had a rockshock not AMP
    could never get the bike square to shift right went thru 3 frames and went back to the Amplifier
    the Black frame bikes had Amp shocks on the front and oil and coil in rear
    the FTW bikes had a reese (sp) air oil that was impossible to keep the air in
    My B3 has one of the first Red Judy Downhills that was all tricked out by a rockshoxs tech guru

Does this help?
    BTW, the mongoose folks would get pretty pissy if you called the bike an AMP vs Amplifier
    I will get a photo of my Amplifier up soon it is all sachs quartz groupo with Grip shift
    My wife (GF at the time) raced a Mongoose IBOC frame made by FTW because they could not make a 14 Amplifier that actually functioned
    and my other bike is a 94 yo eddy fat chance that had a Mavic MTB Groupo on it

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Found one in pretty much mint condition off ebay
    I agree even though the Mongoose Amplifier and the B2 are the same frame, in my mind they are still different (im an old mongoose racer my self)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a mongoose Amplifier / Amp B3 bike-fullview_smaller.jpg  

Looking for a mongoose Amplifier / Amp B3 bike-chainset_smaller.jpg  

Looking for a mongoose Amplifier / Amp B3 bike-rear_brakes_smaller.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Also if anyone has an IBOC team frame (the triangular top tube one) id be happy to take it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast