Village Dirtbag

Longshot: need Exage 200 Freehub, + Mag 20 and canti question

Hey guys. For nostalgia's sake, I'm restoring my first mountain bike- a 1992 Schwinn Highplains. The freehub has a lot of play though. It is rideable, but not really trail worthy. It has the Exage 200 group, which takes a FH-HG20 rear hub. Does anybody know where I can find a freehub that is compatible with this I can just throw on without relacing a whole new hub onto the wheel?

Any other suggestions on getting old 7 spd. stuff running again?

One other thing- the stem has the cable guide/housing stop integrated into it. I have a long Zoom stem from the same era I'd rather put on, but that stem has no cable stop/guide/noodle/whatever you call it. So, how can I run my canti's? I was thinking of putting on my old Mag 20 if the steerer is the right size and if I can get it to hold air since it has the stop right on the arch.

Oh yeah...and does anybody know where I can get an aircap for a 1993 Mag 20?

Thanks.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

Answers In Caps

Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Hey guys. For nostalgia's sake, I'm restoring my first mountain bike- a 1992 Schwinn Highplains. The freehub has a lot of play though.IT'S POSSIBLE THE CASSETTE BODY IS JUST LOOSE ON THE HUB SHELL. I'VE ONLY EVER SEEN SHITMANO BODIES DIE BY SELF DESTRUCTING PAWLS, I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY RIDDEN ONE TO THE POINT IT DEVELOPED A LOT OF PLAY. IF IT'S LOOSE, YOU NEED TO REMOVE AND AXLE AND TIGHTEN THE 10 (TEN) MILLIMETER HEX BOLT INSIDE THAT ATTACHES IT TO THE HUB SHELL. THAT WOULD BE MY FIRST GUESS. It is rideable, but not really trail worthy. It has the Exage 200 group, which takes a FH-HG20 rear hub. Does anybody know where I can find a freehub that is compatible ANY SEVEN SPEED SHITMANO FREEHUB BODY, EXCEPT REAL OLD DURAACE, IS COMPATIBLE. ASK YOUR SHOP, THEY MAY STILL BE ABLE TO ORDER YOU ONE.with this I can just throw on without relacing a whole new hub onto the wheel?

Any other suggestions on getting old 7 spd. stuff running again?

One other thing- the stem has the cable guide/housing stop integrated into it. I have a long Zoom stem from the same era I'd rather put on, but that stem has no cable stop/guide/noodle/whatever you call it. So, how can I run my canti's? I was thinking of putting on my old Mag 20 DOH! TAKE A DEEP BREATH. NOW LOOK AT YOUR MAG 20 AND THINK ABOUT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOUR CABLE CASING STOPPED AT THE STEM. EVERY TIME THE FORK COMPRESSED THE BRAKE CABLE WOULD GO SLACK, WOULDN'T IT? THAT IS WHY THERE IS A CABLE STOP ON THE BRACE OF YOUR FORK. THAT IS WHERE YOUR CABLE HOUSING SHOULD END. DOH. if the steerer is the right size and if I can get it to hold air since it has the stop right on the arch.OK GOOD YOU REALIZE THAT. I GUESS THEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HECK YOU ARE ASKING, SINCE YOU ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE CABLE STOP. NOT UNDERSTANDING YOUR QUESTION/PROBLEM/DILEMMA.

Oh yeah...and does anybody know where I can get an aircap for a 1993 Mag 20?NOT FROM ROCKSHOX THAT'S FOR SURE, THEY ONLY OFFER PARTS SUPPORT FOR LIKE 3 YEARS AFTER INTRODUCING A FORK. THEY SUCK.

Thanks.
    YOU'RE WELCOME.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

Village Dirtbag
    The stem on the bike now is too short. I have a longer one, but it has no cable guide on it like the stock one does.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I still sell 7sp shimano freehub bodies so they're definitely still available.

If your mag-20 steerer isn't the correct length it is possible to get bolt-on cable hangers for quill stems, as well as ones that fit to threadless steerers in place of a spacer, or ones that fit between the top threaded nut and the top race of threaded headsets. Any top cap from a Mag-20/30/21/10 would fit. I still have a single NOS top cap from a Mag-21 in my rockshox parts collection.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

uh, ok

Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    The stem on the bike now is too short. I have a longer one, but it has no cable guide on it like the stock one does.
    Your original post makes it sound like you are seeking a way to use your MAG 20 fork. But I'm surmising now that you really just want to use a different stem, and not the fork.
    Assuming my guess is correct, what you seek is a headset cable hanger. Fits between the upper race and headset top nut, brake cable casing stops against it. Ask any LBS on the planet. There are also versions available for threadless steerers. maybe www.loosescrews.com, or www.aebike.com. I get mine off trash pile bikes that I mine for useful pieces before returning the leftovers to the trash.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

Village Dirtbag
    Wow! So any 7 spd hyperglide freehub body will fit onto any 7 spd hub? That would really simplify things!

About the Mag 20: I brought it up since it would solve my brake problem, but it isn't holding air right now, and I don't even know if the steerer is the right size. I'll check it all out over the holidays and see what I can figure out.

If I can put on any Shimano 7 speed freehub and use a $2 part to use my brakes with the longer stem it sounds like I'll be ready to run with minimal money though. If I can get that old fork working that'd just be icing on the cake. So how much do you want for that top cap? I broke the little needle-valve thing on one of them about six years ago by using a cheap non-rounded needle on it, so I should only need one. I'll double check this today or tomorrow though. On loosescrews.com they show different parts for different heres and models of the mag-series forks. Are you sure they're all compatible?

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Village Dirtbag
    It is a Christmas MIRACLE! After six years of neglect, my Mag 20 seems to be holding air in both legs again. Praise be!

Unfortunately, the steerer tube is 1/2" too short, so it looks like I won't get to use it on my Schwinn. I need about 6.75" for it to reach.