mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Living X - Living Extreme Mountain Bikes - Anyone know anything about them?

I stumbled on a 19.5 inch in what seems to be their team issue last night on Craigslist. It is too big for me so I won't be riding the frame (have a buddy it will fit if he wants it) but the Ti Manitou and the seemingly never pedaled XTR were just too hard to pass up and I was able to get it for a song. Would like to know a bit more about the frames. Seem to be nice quality, it is 7 Series aluminum.

There is very little available online about them other than a few passionate owners/ex-owners of the frames who seemed to love them. It is scary light even by aluminum standards.

Thanks for any insights.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Living-X was an Aussie mail order company that advertised in Mountain Bike Magazine in the mid to late 90's (IIRC). I remember seeing the ads, and thinking the prices were reasonable for the spec. Frames were nothing spectacular, but seemed to be decent quality. If it is just a donor bike for the XTR bits, then strip it and flip it!

Pics or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Living X - Living Extreme Mountain Bikes - Anyone know anything about them?-%24t2ec16nhjhge9n0yei-pbq-in8v29-%7E%7E60_3.jpg

Not a terribly good pic, but the one that was in ad. The bike seems to have never been ridden as the 950 stuff is perfect, nice ceramic mavics, and even the Manitou is in excellent condition. Yesterday was a good day, also picked this up:

Living X - Living Extreme Mountain Bikes - Anyone know anything about them?-1361648743-414_jpg_m.jpg

Frame is one size too big for me but it literally has never had someone use the front brake on it by the condition of the Ritchey Vantage on it. Full DX. Was a little bummed when I got there that it was rapid fire DX shifters versus thumbies but couldn't resist grabbing it for some extra bits for the trade thread.

human dehumidifier
    I remember them having some odd designs - curved tubes and the like. They were sort of a precursor to the bikesdirect business model of today.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I saw that one on CL (seatte?), there are some good deals on rim brake bikes from time to time. That's great that the condition is so good, it seems that CL bikes are either pristine or completely hammered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Definitely agree with you on that, they seem to be polar opposites. These were both virtually un-ridden. Going to make for some very useful parts for some other builds that I have going and to beef up the trade bucket for some things I am needing.

More info in this thread

Balance or Living X bikes? anyone?

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Many thanks!!