Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A list of vintage paint/resto guys (c 1991)

1K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  scant 
#1 ·
I scanned this article as I thought it might be of some use...it's a list of guys that did resto/paint work at the time....it's from March of 1991.
Who from that list is still around?
At any rate, it might be a good start to hunt down some of these folks to see if they still do paint work...

See less See more
#2 ·
i know from growing up in the LA area the Shades and Gerhard designs are not around anymore. Shades is the fella that painted the Curtlos in the early days.

#14 ·
Actually, yes, he's pretty inexpensive for most projects. The "Feathers" is pretty involved, but still half what you'd pay Cyclart or anyone else to recreate it. There are two different "Feathers" finishes, (not to mention Sky's "Leaves" job). The first Feathers is just at the head tube, with the remainder of the frame in black. Costs $500-600. The full Feathers, which puts the colourful feathers at the HT, Seat Cluster, & BB, & kind of turns to green "scales" in between, is $750, but well worth it. I can't wait.

#15 ·
SS Jerry said:
Affordable

One of a kind

Creative

Of the three..... pick one............he he he

PM for what he charged me for my three bikes.

JS
:D I figured that was coming.

FSP provided a pretty good ball park. It's about what I expected. I'm a loyal D+D guy, but I've heard he does good work when it comes to the more exotic paint jobs.

#19 ·
feathers paint example

Well, got this middle/late '04 from the Great Bicycling Benefactor. There is a story in this of course: sold an item to a collector and a few weeks later I got asked if I had another of the same. Said "sure, but I have to pull it off my bike to sell you" which I did. The person also wanted a seatpost (one of the SR's with the huge setback)which I tracked down.
Anyway, a week later this goat frame arrives in the mail. A few weeks later a box arrived with the original Manitou and a Judy!! There is a God!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.