Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Let's See Your Vintage Touring Bikes!

Hey Guys, I just picked up a 1983 Trek 620 Touring frame and I'm going to start building it up very soon and I want some ideas. It will be built up with "tasteful" modern parts:

XT Rear Der
    Tourney Front
    Sugino Triple
    Bar-End Shifters
    Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra Wheelset
    Nitto Bars/Post
    Brooks B17

Show me YOURS!
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

velocipede technician

looking for 20-21" P team

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    some really cool details on that bike
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Roadies.....
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I prefer to tour on a mountain bike.

Last edited by laffeaux; 01-31-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    cool thread. some of those old touring bikes sure have a lot of character. Dare I say it, almost like an old mtb. Nah, not quite that cool.

BP, that one still makes me a bit mad that I let it get away locally, but it's better off with you.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The 620 was a tourer? No canti mounts etc. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not seeing the touring aspects of that one. Nice bike though to be sure, and thanks for coming with pics!!

Hollister. What was the deal with the BB on that one? Press fit bearings, pinched in place? Doesn't look big enough for an eccentric BB....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here's my 1984 Trek 520. Props to EastCoast Steve for passing this on to me

Beware the forty-year-old man on a twenty-year-old bike...He likely knows how to ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    The 620 was a tourer? No canti mounts etc. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not seeing the touring aspects of that one. Nice bike though to be sure, and thanks for coming with pics!!
    I honestly think I'm at an advantage here w/o the cantis because I can run 700's and just use Long Reach Caliper brakes.

Check it out:

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

underachiever
    It isn't all that vintage, but here's my 1997/98 Rhygin Metax CX bike that I'll be using as a credit card touring bike. It was originally setup as a triple, but I'm running it as a double. Has lots of tasty vintage bits including the Syncros Revolution crankset, Kooka titanium bottom bracket, Precision Billet derailleur, Syncros titanium seat post, Flite titanum saddle, Ringle MoJo cable hangers and XTR M900 cassette.

Last edited by misterdangerpants; 04-19-2010 at 05:46 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    I honestly think I'm at an advantage here w/o the cantis because I can run 700's and just use Long Reach Caliper brakes.
    I'll never stand on a soap box and proclaim to know all, just so I've said it

I'm confused, you can run 700c wheels regardless, canti or otherwise. The reason they put cantis on tourers is because they have extra stopping power compared to road calipers. Long reaches are great for extra clearance with fenders etc, but the longer the caliper arms, the more flex they has, the less stopping power they possess.

I think the touring aspect they mention in the literature you posted is broad based. Meaning, you can tour, race, ride, etc, on basically any bike. They put rack mounts on it, so you can load it up and go for a weekend of fun, no worries. I'm not nitpicking, just chatting, and hopefully, helping someone get a better understanding what they've got.

Many bikes in that time frame were sport tourers, as in, road bike with rack mounts. A "true tourer", regardless of time frame, will have canti's (some modern ones are even disc now), front and rear rack mounts, a lower BB, and more relaxed angles, as well as a longer wheel base, both for heel clearance with rear panniers, as well as a more stable ride characteristic with load, for heading down the Rockies with 70 lbs of gear, plus a rider
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Witty McWitterson
    No tto mention the fact that they are made with heavier gauge tubing to accept the heavy loads a tour is capable of handing you.

I have a Trek of very similar vintage, and while being a very fun, comfortable bike to ride, I'd never load it up. Thing is a complete noodle[that's the comfortable part there] with just little old me on there. I can't imagine adding another 20 to 30 obs of gear to that will do anything for the stability of the bike.

mr.dp - i've said it before, but I'll say it again. HOT bike! Love the tires. Hate the wheels. Keep them on the Indy roadie, and biuld up a set of nice White Industry hubs to Hed's new Ardennes rims for a sweet bomber[yet light] set of wheels. It would suit the look of the bike SO much more than the ksyriums do.
    Just a regular guy.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    mr.dp - i've said it before, but I'll say it again. HOT bike! Love the tires. Hate the wheels. Keep them on the Indy roadie, and biuld up a set of nice White Industry hubs to Hed's new Ardennes rims for a sweet bomber[yet light] set of wheels. It would suit the look of the bike SO much more than the ksyriums do.
    Thanks! The wheels are only placeholders. I have a (fairly new) set of Phil Wood hubs I'm going to build up with Mavic Open Pro rims. The '08 IF Ti CJ has been sold and I'm dismantling the '09 IF Deluxe to fund a modern sister bike to this: an Igleheart 953 29er single-speed.

underachiever

Fin

Here's the updated Rhygin CX with Phil Wood hubs and NOS Mavic Open Pro rims (guessing late 1990s). It gets its maiden voyage to the bike week festival tomorrow.

Attachment 544705
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 04:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice, I like those wheels much better!
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith

Many bikes in that time frame were sport tourers, as in, road bike with rack mounts. A "true tourer", regardless of time frame, will have canti's (some modern ones are even disc now), front and rear rack mounts, a lower BB, and more relaxed angles, as well as a longer wheel base, both for heel clearance with rear panniers, as well as a more stable ride characteristic with load, for heading down the Rockies with 70 lbs of gear, plus a rider
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about that bike. We sold a line of brit bikes called Woodrup that were sport touring and were very different from the true touring bike that we also sold. Tighter geometry more akin to a typical road bike, though with 27" wheels and a single eyelet for a rear rack or fenders.

I'm going to keep my eyes on this thread. I keep hoping a crazy Annapurna that a coworker had build for extended touring will pop up on this board, and this thread is as likely a place as any.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    I ended up building up the Trek for a buddy of mine and I bought a new LHT, Loving every second of it!
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

1982 Trek 613 All Original

Gravedigging a bit, Sorry

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsjes28 View Post

Gravedigging a bit, Sorry
    Those early Treks had a lot of class for a factory bike. Unlike their counterparts of today.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

The Brutally Handsome
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but anyone savvy with bike racks know who might have made this one? It's steel if that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's See Your Vintage Touring Bikes!-rack.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That's minoura rack, see here:

Minoura Japan ? MT-800N

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

trek 620

Quote Originally Posted by marcinski View Post
    That's minoura rack, see here:

Minoura Japan ? MT-800N
    Here is my 620,I bought it new in 1983.The last photo is with the original wheels.I just added the new wheels ,tires,bar tape and changed out the helicomatic 6 speed to a shimano 7 speed.It's my everyday rider.
    BTW The brake pads did not need much adjustment to fit the 700 wheels,so switching back to the original 27" wheels is no problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's See Your Vintage Touring Bikes!-trek3.jpg  

Let's See Your Vintage Touring Bikes!-trek4.jpg  

Let's See Your Vintage Touring Bikes!-620trek.jpg  

Last edited by jpaw33; 06-03-2013 at 05:18 PM.

mtbr member
    It also doubles as my 24 hours steed. 1984 Raleigh Mountain Tour

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

1994 Trek 520

As touring bikes go, 1994 isn't very old but I figured I'd post anyway. I've ridden a lot of miles on this thing over the past 19 years, but it seems like only yesterday I was in the bike shop getting fit for it. Let's See Your Vintage Touring Bikes!-1994_trek_520.jpg
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast