Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Lets see your klunkers

The "Joe Breeze, Repack" style klunkers that were built from the old Schwinns, Columbia, etc.
    Im in the process of building one, maybe (if you guys dont mind of course) I could get some ideas, plus it would be cool to see what some of you people have built

I'll be using this frame and will probably use the existing paint theme on my build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your klunkers-pa090876.jpg  

Lets see your klunkers-pa090879.jpg  

Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 10-23-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: #$%^

mtbr member
    So,
    What exactly do you have there?
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I dont know really. There isnt much info on the Princeton bicycle. I was told back in old days (prewar), Schwinn made private label frames for many brands. It looks identical to a Schwinn Excelsior from what Ive seen, but other that that, very little knowledge of the frame.

mtbr member
    Don't get too caught up on headbadges. Probably not the best way to identify an old frame. Ask these dudes exactly what you've got:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/index.php

Do a little search here on vrc key work- klunker or clunker. you will find some cool projects.....

mtbr member
    Princetons were made by the DP Harris Manufacturing Co. Their main line of bikes was Rollfast.
    Many people make the mistake of thinking that an Excelsior, or a Princeton was a specific frame/model. This was not the case. Bike dealers could choose which badges came on the bikes from certain manufacturers. For example, if you were a Rollfast/DP Harris dealer, and you were near Princeton University, you could have ordered all of your bikes with Princeton head badges. From the 20 inch wheeled girls bike all the way up. Same thing with Excelsior, having come with an Excelsior badge does not indicate what model Schwinn bike it is. Schwinn's first 26 inch balloon tire bike was called the B 10E, I happen to have 2 B10Es that both came with Excelsior badges, but B10Es came with many different badges, I probably have at least 20 different badges. If you were an Ace hardware dealer, you could have had B10E Aces with even the name of your town on the badge too. I have long been waiting to find that San Rafael Ace head badge that a friend said he would trade me. I hope that you keep that Princeton frame as a single speed with a coaster brake.
    One Speed Is All You Need!
    chris ioakimedes

mtbr member
    One more thing. If you would rather have your bike be a Yale, I have a NOS badge that can sell you. I'm bummed that they never made UCLA badges. Go Bruins!
    Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    being from princeton, n.j., i love this. and i'm sure all you guys and gals know the oldest bike shop in the USA is located in princeton. it's Kopps Cycle Shop.

mtbr member

Mystery Frame Klunker

Have added a Brooks seat...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i love the sturmey coaster brake.

mtbr member
    Could that be a Champion?
    Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by den haag
    i love the sturmey coaster brake.
    Thanks. 3-speed rear drum hub; drum brake in the front.

mtbr member

unfortunately not

Quote Originally Posted by fat tire trader
    Could that be a Champion?
    Chris
    It's a unique frame, but I've never been able to find out who manufactured it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a copy of a Decline magazine where there profiled the Klunkerz movie and Joe Breeze, in which they had a picture of his Excelsior. I was thinking duplicating as close to his bike as possible. his bike has a Sturmey-Archer 3 spd hub with a coaster brake and a front drum brake. I will be looking for something similar to that set up. Im in the process of fabricating my own fork brace.
    One qustion I do have, it looks like the seatpost diameter is 5/8" what to do on that I have not figured yet.

I was born in Patterson, NJ, so maybe it my destiny to find and rebuild this frame which of course is named after a city and university in NJ.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 10-24-2010 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thats what I would like to see, everyones pictures of their klunkers. I appreciate the help that some provided regarding the background of my frame though.

Illuminati
    just incase anyone had missed it, theres a lot of clunker/ cruisers on this thread
    The Cruiser Thread

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My first Klunker:

Second:

Next:
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    I have a copy of a Decline magazine where there profiled the Klunkerz movie and Joe Breeze, in which they had a picture of his Excelsior. I was thinking duplicating as close to his bike as possible. his bike has a Sturmey-Archer 3 spd hub with a coaster brake and a front drum brake. I will be looking for something similar to that set up. Im in the process of fabricating my own fork brace.
    One qustion I do have, it looks like the seatpost diameter is 5/8" what to do on that I have not figured yet.

I was born in Patterson, NJ, so maybe it my destiny to find and rebuild this frame which of course is named after a city and university in NJ.

Like this one:
    Lets see your klunkers-joeb_41dx01m.jpg

Look here:

http://clunkers.net/joeb_41dx.html

The idea of riding on steel wheels is a little too much for me. Have fun.

Newer three speed with coaster setup:

Last edited by tductape; 10-24-2010 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    oldschoolcolo, I still think that it might have been made by Champion. Champion is the only company that I ever saw back then to make frames with"Pro Cruiser" style center tubes, like this bmx frame http://www.bmxnonstop.com/oldschool/champ77.htm

To everyone else,
    Things to consider when converting your old bike.
    #1 Five speed hubs are wider than one speed coaster brakes, so to have a nice set up, the rear spacing needs to be increased. The way that I did this back then was by removing both bridges, cold setting the frame to the proper dropout spacing, then installing new wider bridges. If you don't do this, installing the rear wheel is difficult, and the frame may eventually crack from the strain of being flexed wider than it was designed to be. This is one reason why I recommend that you guys stick with coaster brakes, both Morrow and Bendix are very good.
    #2 Drum brakes barely work, if you want hand brakes, I recommend brazing on cantilever brakes, Mafac, Weinmann, or Dia Comp, they work a lot better. If you want your drum brake to work better, use a very stiff lever like Magura or Tomasselli, or early MTB levers like Shimano.
    chris ioakimedes

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fat tire trader]oldschoolcolo, I still think that it might have been made by Champion. Champion is the only company that I ever saw back then to make frames with"Pro Cruiser" style center tubes, like this bmx frame http://www.bmxnonstop.com/oldschool/champ77.htm

A couple of those frames are around. On all the old school bmx sites, no one has been able to identify them for a couple years now. I support the theory that aliens dropped it off here from outer space. I think Champion has already been scratched off the possibility list. I don't think they ever did looptails either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Now thats what Im talking about. Thats what I want to do with mine. I have no plans to race Repack on it, or even ride it offroad for that matter. I starting riding mountain bikes back in 1982 and have always loved the history of the sport. I just want a bada$$ cruiser thats really more show than go.

mtbr member

Let's see the B10E's....

I happen to have 2 B10Es
    Please post pictures of the B10E's. It's one of two bikes on my current wish list. Can't get enough of them.

TCN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    Please post pictures of the B10E's. It's one of two bikes on my current wish list. Can't get enough of them.

TCN
    And the Pro Cruiser. Pics of the Pro Cruiser too please.

26" Champions came in three different frame styles from the late 70's to early 80's.
    first:

Attachment 575932

Double Downtube second:

Lets see your klunkers-8e93_3.jpg

And then the one that most resembles the Lawill Pro Cruiser, Third:

Attachment 575935

None of them are the same as the famous bike without a maker frame...
    Last edited by tductape; 02-29-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Retro on Steroids
    A little background.

fat tire trader is a longtime friend who bought a Ritchey from me when he was still in high school, and the bikes cost as much as a couple of cheap cars. If you check out his profile photo, he's on the Ritchey on the starting line at Repack at either the 1983 or 1984 races, the first NORBA-sanctioned downhills ever to take place.

mtbr member
    oldschoolcolo, I still think that it might have been made by Champion. Champion is the only company that I ever saw back then to make frames with"Pro Cruiser" style center tubes, like this bmx frame http://www.bmxnonstop.com/oldschool/champ77.htm
    Panda did some with a middle bar, in the Champion fashion. Not saying this is a Panda, the welds are too nice. jk
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    A little background.

fat tire trader is a longtime friend who bought a Ritchey from me when he was still in high school, and the bikes cost as much as a couple of cheap cars. If you check out his profile photo, he's on the Ritchey on the starting line at Repack at either the 1983 or 1984 races, the first NORBA-sanctioned downhills ever to take place.

So C,
    How many of us would have grovelled for one of your magical bicycles before you found one of us with enough cash to actually afford to buy. I imagine for every bike you sold, there must have been another dozen people trying to justify and save up for the price of a bike matching the cost of a two year old Pinto wagon with only 11k miles on it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast