Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    VRC Illuminati

Let's see those rare parts!

We've got a nice well rounded bunch of 'official' threads with some amazing vintage. But, a fine rig is only as good as it's parts...so, what rare and unique part are you hiding in your closet?

I'm a Tension Disc freak. I know they don't work all that well, but I love em' anyway.
    I'm at four so far...here are two that are built:

The other two are new, unbuilt and in the factory box with wheel bag. (and no, I'm not selling!)

And two pairs of Tioga Revolver cranks. Both new and unused, the blue pair are supposedly 'team issue' only...

A couple pairs of Cook Bros cranks, a 1" RS-1, two 1" Judys, and a fine 1" SID. Any vintage mtb collector know's how important a 1" steered fork is!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

mtbr member

latest eBay buys....

Stem Forks Brake Levers

I really love Machine Tech stuff, I have a pair of hubs, the Canti Brakes, a load of cable hangers, and now some Levers.... I am really holding out for a stem though

eBay is evil...

Djuc

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Oh you like machinetech levers do ya? Yer gonne be in heaven once I get around to sticking "vintage" part listings into the classifieds (it'd be nice if they'd make a section for 'em), maybe I'll use the 'other' parts section for now). But a sneak preview...

MachineTech ZeroFlex Levers

Topline MTN Cranks

Neon color ODI Mushroom Grips

RaceFace and Odyssey threaded headsets

Magura HS-22 Hydraulics (the originals)

Tioga Psycho KR Tires (yes, the ones Tomac liked to use)

Anyone need some NOS Scott Unishocks (first model year, like Ruthie Mathes won her World XC championship on, NOT the recalled ones)

How about some 1 1/4 steerer NOS Tange Shockblades?

A complete front NOS Amp D-1 Disk brake kit

NOS Scott Bars anyone?

That enough teasing for now?
    Last edited by DeeEight; 01-27-2004 at 07:22 AM.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Lawwill Leader 3:

DeKerf titanium Stem/barcombo:

McMahon Steely Danz:

To add a few...
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

ا
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Oh you like machinetech levers do ya? Yer gonne be in heaven once I get around to sticking "vintage" part listings into the classifieds (it'd be nice if they'd make a section for 'em), maybe I'll use the 'other' parts section for now). But a sneak preview...

NOS Scott Bars anyone?

That enough teasing for now?
    I do like that shorter Scott bar. You selling? $=?
    Nice.

mtbr member
    DeeEight, I dont suppose youre selling the blue Machine Tech Levers are you?

if so you have my mail....

Djuc

Quote Originally Posted by
    I do like that shorter Scott bar. You selling? $=?
    Nice.
    Yep, I usually have a dozen or so ads running in the classifieds but I haven't listed any this month since I'm hoping Gregg will respond to my PM about adding a vintage section (which most of the stuff I usually list on mtbr qualifies as anyways) to the classifieds. Otherwise if I hear nothing from him, I'll stick 'em in the usual missmash of sections later in the week.

In the meantime, my email's kroberge@ca.inter.net

And Djuc, yes I'm selling the machine tech levers.

Retro Grouch
    Hi,

those Neon ODI Grips. Does anyone have a source for them? I hope that I'll finally able to finally build an 1988/1989 Yeti Racing Replica and I need them for this bike (neon pink on the left and neon green on the right).

Best Regards,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Staab
    Hi,

those Neon ODI Grips. Does anyone have a source for them? I hope that I'll finally able to finally build an 1988/1989 Yeti Racing Replica and I need them for this bike (neon pink on the left and neon green on the right).

Best Regards,

Michael
    I would be the source for them as I sell 'em online.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    NOS Scott Bars anyone?
    LOL! I'm still using a AT-3 on my commuter bike. Works well actually as I have a road section on my commute that is exposed to the wind off the ocean.

Post that bar/stem pic on the DeKerf thread on the Cdn bikes board. I think someone was talking about one a while ago. I'm sure they would love to see it.

mtbr member

machine tech

Quote Originally Posted by Djuc Wun
    Stem Forks Brake Levers

I really love Machine Tech stuff, I have a pair of hubs, the Canti Brakes, a load of cable hangers, and now some Levers.... I am really holding out for a stem though

eBay is evil...

Djuc

Hello have you the crank set?!?!?!?
    Very nice and rare!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    There it is again! I'm a Machine Tech fan too, and this is the second time i've ever even heard of the legend of their crank. The first fellow to mention it worked for titec, and he looked long and hard for a photo of one, but could find nothing. Andrea, do you have any pictures? Anyone?
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

I was a machinetech dealer from the company's debut till their demise and there never was a crank listed in the catalogs. Now they might have prototyped something and had its pic taken for a magazine, but after the rear hub defects and having to come up with v-brake and levers at the same time, they wouldn't have had the resources to do a crank for production runs and none made it to the canadian distributor that's for sure.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Hmm. I've heard about 90% good reports about the rear hubs, and the other 10% were anything but flattering. I have a set that have clearly been ridden very hard for nearly a decade, and are rock solid, with some pretty worn parts.

I recall at around the same time, at a certain large bike MFG I worked for, we figured if we only got 20% of our product back through warranty we were doing pretty well. I think we were usually up around 25% most of the time though. There are two ways of looking at this. One is, every company is going to get broken or defective product back, and while less is obviously better for everyone, in something so chaotic as putting a person on a bicycle and sending them into the world, it has to be expected, anticipated, and planned for. What becomes an issue is how much anyone wants to put up with it. The counterpoint is, when you're paying twice as much for a pair of hubs as a pair of say, xtr's, you'd expect twice the innovation, sure, but also twice the precision and quality control as xtr.
    A lot of those little guys were prototype machining shops, and not really experienced in mass producing anything either. As crummy as some of the reputations got, it may have stemmed from people comparing a small company in its infancy to an 80 year old institution.

Of course, I'm a hopeless romantic, or an idealistic hippy (depending on who you ask), so I love the worst squealing set of grafton brakes better than anything shimano ever did. Sometimes it's about more than the end result.
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

mtbr member

machine tech crank set

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsuperpetis
    Hmm. I've heard about 90% good reports about the rear hubs, and the other 10% were anything but flattering. I have a set that have clearly been ridden very hard for nearly a decade, and are rock solid, with some pretty worn parts.

I recall at around the same time, at a certain large bike MFG I worked for, we figured if we only got 20% of our product back through warranty we were doing pretty well. I think we were usually up around 25% most of the time though. There are two ways of looking at this. One is, every company is going to get broken or defective product back, and while less is obviously better for everyone, in something so chaotic as putting a person on a bicycle and sending them into the world, it has to be expected, anticipated, and planned for. What becomes an issue is how much anyone wants to put up with it. The counterpoint is, when you're paying twice as much for a pair of hubs as a pair of say, xtr's, you'd expect twice the innovation, sure, but also twice the precision and quality control as xtr.
    A lot of those little guys were prototype machining shops, and not really experienced in mass producing anything either. As crummy as some of the reputations got, it may have stemmed from people comparing a small company in its infancy to an 80 year old institution.

Of course, I'm a hopeless romantic, or an idealistic hippy (depending on who you ask), so I love the worst squealing set of grafton brakes better than anything shimano ever did. Sometimes it's about more than the end result.

In few days I looking for the pix on an old MbAction and I post it on the forum.

Ciao

Andrea

mtbr member
    I for one have NEVER heard of the Crank, as far as I know they only made Brakes, Levers (both canti and V) hubs, and a couple of different stems - have I missed anything?

most people I know hate their stuff, I love it, it is one of the things I would collect without putting any on a bike...

I for one have NEVER heard of the Crank, as far as I know they only made Brakes, Levers (both canti and V) hubs, and a couple of different stems - have I missed anything?

most people I know hate their stuff, I love it, it is one of the things I would collect without putting any on a bike...
    wheel skewers, QR and 5mm allen bolt style.

mtbr member
    Do you have any of the QR's or a pic?

Do you have any of the QR's or a pic?
    not that i can recall, might be pics of skewers on the bikepro buyers guide.

not that i can recall, might be pics of skewers on the bikepro buyers guide.
    Not that I found, but they did have these Machine Tech photos.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/brak...mach_tech.html

Both From:
    http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_machine.htm

mtbr member

machine tech crank set

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsuperpetis
    There it is again! I'm a Machine Tech fan too, and this is the second time i've ever even heard of the legend of their crank. The first fellow to mention it worked for titec, and he looked long and hard for a photo of one, but could find nothing. Andrea, do you have any pictures? Anyone?

MBAction june '95

Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images

found the issue, and that reminds me...

My Joe's rear derailleur, which I'm practically hoarding as the spots I list it for sale, I've got the price set rather high.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    propos machine tech: i used the cantilever brakes, i picked up a blue one for forty bones just as v-brakes were coming out. they worked pretty well, and looked the part, too. i still have the brake sitting in my basement. the thing was, the pivots didn't seem to hold up long, mine are reasonably wobbly. argh.
    i would kill to have a set of the zeroflex 2 cantis, which were even coller-looking than the originals.
    tim

mtbr member
    oh my, I dont think I will sleep again untilI have a pair of those cranks, or at least see a colour picture!

I'm in love........

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast