Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let's see those rare parts!

154K views 616 replies 211 participants last post by  whatisaidwas 
#1 ·
We've got a nice well rounded bunch of 'official' threads with some amazing vintage. But, a fine rig is only as good as it's parts...so, what rare and unique part are you hiding in your closet?

I'm a Tension Disc freak. I know they don't work all that well, but I love em' anyway.
I'm at four so far...here are two that are built:

The other two are new, unbuilt and in the factory box with wheel bag. (and no, I'm not selling!) :)

And two pairs of Tioga Revolver cranks. Both new and unused, the blue pair are supposedly 'team issue' only...

A couple pairs of Cook Bros cranks, a 1" RS-1, two 1" Judys, and a fine 1" SID. Any vintage mtb collector know's how important a 1" steered fork is!

See less See more
#396 · (Edited)
NOS Umma Gumma's Ground Control/S Not too rare but cool nonetheless. Any other tire nut's out there?
View attachment 769524
Yeah I'm addicted to tires. Back a few pages (page 12 post 297) are just some of them but I have NOS Smoke Comp Lites, various Specialized UGs, skinwall Darts and Smokes, butterscotch Psychos among others.

Would like your UG GC tires though!

#404 ·
Nice score on the fork. You outbid me.
It is a nice fork- don't let the naysayers here keep you down- they mostly ride those klunkers that don't have suspension or at least they did when they were much much younger. (I think they wish they had suspension on their klunker of choice because it's way easier on older bones.)
HA!

#413 ·
I'd say there are a lot of parts posted in this thread that aren't rare (then or now)...though a lot of it may be just as desirable now.

That Rock Shox Boxxer fork is not rare and not something really considered vintage, retro, or classic within this particular forum. Might be VRC to the DH forum guys.

#433 ·
Your opinion is not the same as everyone else remember. I consider those forks VRC, and that model with the bosses for mounting brake posts is very rare.

We all have different views about old bikes, why bother spending your time internet-beating someone down because you don't agree with their definition of VRC? I think people who like Sligshots are insane, but also let them enjoy living in their fantasy world.

#424 ·
I'm not really a VRC type as I didn't get into riding till around 1990, but I'll share what I got and you tell me if it's something folks in here would be interested by.

I saved two components that I liked and built up a modern dirt jump bike and inspite of what some would say they work phenominally well. I took it out on a trail ride last Sunday and the bike just flat rips.

I have an AMP research F4 80mm travel fork freshly refurbished by AMP, and a Tamer Pivot Plus suspension seat post.

Attachments

#428 ·
actually I think that retrogrouch is an inappropriate term anyways, Shiggy is a retrogrouch, drop bars, thumbies etc but on a newer bike, just resistant to accept the newer technologies. Hell I am the definition of retro grouch, no suspension, few gears. No you guys are more like halycon riders, loving the best of the old days, collecting that which you couldn't have when you wanted but not grouches. Although that probably makes most of you my age, since I still have parts from this era from old bikes, and old bikes, etc hanging around. So yeah your all grouches, just not retro grouches. Do you all have a name you refer to yourself as?

#432 ·
So I should read more and post less? Maybe someone could school me with the proper definition of "vintage, retro and/or classic" when it comes to MTB geekspeak?

I started on a rigid bike (actually went through 2) but after breaking forks, frames and bending spindles I was more than happy to make the leap to some springs.

So to me, buying and geeking on "vintage, retro and/or classic" full suspension rigs with sexy anno parts is a lot more interesting than a modified beach cruiser that my great uncle Jack used to ride out into the woods to harvest his crop.

As for thick skin and being new to a forum; This isn't my first rodeo, keep it coming....I'm kinky that way.

And thanks for the welcome, I feel all warm inside

#447 ·
By Rumpfys classification, my CT bike is "Rare" because there were less than 100 made and I happen to own at least 4 of them. It also fits into the "vintage" category because it's in the allotted time period of 0ad to 1997ad that defines the category.

Thanks Rumpfy for letting me join the club.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.