Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    rubber side down
    1998 Rock Shox Boxxer Pro...

This was my dream fork back in the day.....here I am 14 or so years later finally able to afford 'em
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see those rare parts!-z_rockshoxboxxer1.jpg  

how is that rare?

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

gobsmacked Moderator
    There were only a few thousands of them made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice score on the fork. You outbid me.
    It is a nice fork- don't let the naysayers here keep you down- they mostly ride those klunkers that don't have suspension or at least they did when they were much much younger. (I think they wish they had suspension on their klunker of choice because it's way easier on older bones.)
    HA!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Nobody said they weren't nice. It's just not rare.

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    It's just not rare.
    Or remotely vintage, retro, or classic

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nobody said they weren't nice. It's just not rare.
    Actually it is kind of rare. Do a search of the whole world for 98 Boxxer forks and you only come up with one or two. I did this search for the CT build.
    They might have made 3000 or so and many of them were only used in pro racing and subsequently destroyed then discarded for the next newest model available to the pro rider. They also sold them in more than 20 countries so that makes the chances of finding one like this one in good condition relatively rare.
    If they're not rare, find one for me in this kind of condition and I'll pay handsomely for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    Or remotely vintage, retro, or classic
    according to most available opinions, 97 is the last year for VRC bikes. 98 is close enough to be considered here.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    according to most available opinions
    lol.

mtbr member
    They also sold them in more than 20 countries
    Exactly, they weren't rare and by comparison to just about everything shown in this thread, aren't today. Since this is a forum that celebrates the period of small-time garage tinkerers and innovators you would be smart to realize that what was intended and what is represented in the 16 pages of this thread are parts that were rare in their day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    Exactly, they weren't rare and by comparison to just about everything shown in this thread, aren't today. Since this is a forum that celebrates the period of small-time garage tinkerers and innovators you would be smart to realize that what was intended and what is represented in the 16 pages of this thread are parts that were rare in their day.
    I took your advice and read all 16 pages of this thread to get a better leg to stand on with this comment:
    More than 50% of the stuff in this thread isn't rare by any means. Sure, some of this stuff easily qualifies as rare and some of it should be in a museum somewhere. Much of it is truly junk from back in the day. Anything Tioga made was 100% crap back then and now. As much as I like Ringle products, they were way overproduced and every LBS in the early 90's had half a dozen of their products in every conceivable color. Look under "vintage mountain bike parts" on ebay and you'll find more Ringle products than anything else. Machine Tech sold things that broke, Kookas were "Krackas" or "Kreakers", and Topline made BMX stuff that people adapted to MTB.
    I get that this thread tried to celebrate innovation and the cool CNC stuff that was so prevalent in the 90's, but it also failed miserably with many horrible, poorly thought out and constructed bolt on parts that were so common in this era.
    When the new guy posts a Boxxer Pro with a 20mm thru axle and you say it's not even close to rare, it makes me wonder about you folks on here. Find another double clamp with a 20mm thru-axle that was made 25 years ago that made as big of a splash. Marzocchi was just getting into the market with some of the Bomber versions but there just wasn't anything else comparable to it.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I think the line in the sand would be suspension, riders forget most serious offroad bikes were fully rigid {besides springer seats} for the fist 10 years. www.Retro suspension site is what you want,

VRC Illuminati
    I'd say there are a lot of parts posted in this thread that aren't rare (then or now)...though a lot of it may be just as desirable now.

That Rock Shox Boxxer fork is not rare and not something really considered vintage, retro, or classic within this particular forum. Might be VRC to the DH forum guys.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Find another double clamp with a 20mm thru-axle that was made 25 years ago that made as big of a splash. .
    Nice math

gobsmacked Moderator
    I took your advice and read all 16 pages of this thread to get a better leg to stand on with this comment:
    More than 50% of the stuff in this thread isn't rare by any means. Sure, some of this stuff easily qualifies as rare and some of it should be in a museum somewhere. Much of it is truly junk from back in the day. Anything Tioga made was 100% crap back then and now. As much as I like Ringle products, they were way overproduced and every LBS in the early 90's had half a dozen of their products in every conceivable color. Look under "vintage mountain bike parts" on ebay and you'll find more Ringle products than anything else. Machine Tech sold things that broke, Kookas were "Krackas" or "Kreakers", and Topline made BMX stuff that people adapted to MTB.
    I get that this thread tried to celebrate innovation and the cool CNC stuff that was so prevalent in the 90's, but it also failed miserably with many horrible, poorly thought out and constructed bolt on parts that were so common in this era.
    When the new guy posts a Boxxer Pro with a 20mm thru axle and you say it's not even close to rare, it makes me wonder about you folks on here. Find another double clamp with a 20mm thru-axle that was made 25 years ago that made as big of a splash. Marzocchi was just getting into the market with some of the Bomber versions but there just wasn't anything else comparable to it.
    What! I think Tioga is just as nice as control tech.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What! I think Tioga is just as nice as control tech.
    you trolls are hard to beat.

I messed up on the math. 15 years ago instead of 25. Either way it was a rare thing back in the day and is equally rare today. Obviously I can see you are all pro overseas manufacturing if you prefer Tioga (not made in the USA) vs. CT (obviously made in the USA). It's easy to see that many of you are biased towards the things that you personally collect and rightly so, because some of it is truly unique and worthwhile to collect, just like I collect USA made CT bikes and the new guy got his Boxxer Pro shocks after 15 years. These things are rare to us and thats really all that matters.
    Maybe you all should actually ride the bikes that you collect instead of polishing them and telling all your friends that you have a new garage queen...

gobsmacked Moderator

I messed up on the math. 15 years ago instead of 25. Either way it was a rare thing back in the day and is equally rare today. Obviously I can see you are all pro overseas manufacturing if you prefer Tioga (not made in the USA) vs. CT (obviously made in the USA). It's easy to see that many of you are biased towards the things that you personally collect and rightly so, because some of it is truly unique and worthwhile to collect, just like I collect USA made CT bikes and the new guy got his Boxxer Pro shocks after 15 years. These things are rare to us and thats really all that matters.
    Maybe you all should actually ride the bikes that you collect instead of polishing them and telling all your friends that you have a new garage queen...
    You assume so muuuchhhhh. We all ride our bikes, silly. However, you're right. I should polish my bikes more. They are so dirty!

These things are rare to us and thats really all that matters.
    And I believe you're wrong, it's not all that matters. Just being rare to the individual does not determine the rarity of the item itself from a group perspective.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

These things are rare to us and thats really all that matters.
    Wrong. This is the VRC forum, not the "post up crap I wanted when I was a kid but couldn't afford back then" forum. There is nothing rare about a mass produced and distributed downhill fork. The only DH fork I would even remotely consider VRC is a Marzocchi DH-3; handmade, scary as crap to ride, and a whopping 3 inches of travel. VRC is when your XC bike, DH bike, and Slalom bike were one in the same.

PS: Insulting widely respected members and moderators is not a good way to win an argument. Especially people like Rumphy and GOB....two members who are always encouraging people to get out and ride their vintage rigs just like they do.

Troll, meet the mirror. Mirror, troll.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

VRC Illuminati
    LOL! Show up to Keyesville with that CT of yours. We'll have to make an exception for it to run in the vintage class of course....but I'm curious to see how it stacks up to my klunker garage queen that I never ride.
    -eric-

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    We'll have to make an exception for it to run in the vintage class of course....
    haha! That's right. It wouldn't technically even qualify for vintage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    Lots of old parts....two sets of Sweetwing cranks 1995, one set of Cook Bros E-cranks 1996, the jumping pic is of a 1994 Specialized steel and alloy FSR and Lawill leader fork and was shot in 1996, there are probably more but I'm not looking at the photos right now so forgive me. Oh yeah, in the garage shot hanging right by the door is my first Mountain bike, a 1992 Raleigh Chill that I just got back after 17 years, COOL!

The jump pic looks like the 2 minute loop at Memorial park in Houston from about 20 years ago. Sorry for the thread necro... Carry on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    that single speed looks cool, the black bike is neat too, but the other one is a pure death trap. is that an AMP research fork instead of a Lawwill Leader?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    LOL! Show up to Keyesville with that CT of yours. We'll have to make an exception for it to run in the vintage class of course....but I'm curious to see how it stacks up to my klunker garage queen that I never ride.
    haha! That's right. It wouldn't technically even qualify for vintage.
    a little far from home for me. but if any of you are ever out here on the East Coast, feel free to look me up for a ride. if you like, I'll let you use one of the CT bikes for the day and then you can tell me if it's worthy of your gaze.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I'm not really a VRC type as I didn't get into riding till around 1990, but I'll share what I got and you tell me if it's something folks in here would be interested by.

I saved two components that I liked and built up a modern dirt jump bike and inspite of what some would say they work phenominally well. I took it out on a trail ride last Sunday and the bike just flat rips.

I have an AMP research F4 80mm travel fork freshly refurbished by AMP, and a Tamer Pivot Plus suspension seat post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see those rare parts!-img_20130301_170942_019.jpg  

Let's see those rare parts!-img_20130302_183845_575.jpg  

Let's see those rare parts!-img_20130304_162919_237.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    how is that rare?
    There were only a few thousands of them made.
    I love forums!

You're busting my nuts for posting a clean set of Boxxer Pro's while a dude a couple pages back is posting tires!?!? Pure awesome!

Oh and show me another set that are available now.

Administrator Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    I love forums!

You're busting my nuts for posting a clean set of Boxxer Pro's while a dude a couple pages back is posting tires!?!? Pure awesome!

Oh and show me another set that are available now.
    there is a reason people call VRC'ers retrogrouches but you are right. I bet there were thousands upon thousands of specialized Umma Gumma tires made. Hell there were probably thousands of white OnZa porcupines made but they are posted here.

Still the "get off my lawn" is strong in here. Thick skins are needed to play here, many have learned this the hard way. Plus if you have a look at the Dark times threads you will see that a lot of people consider mountain biking to have entered dark times around the time Paul Turner crafted that first RockShox RS1 so a newer boxxer = teh evils.
    Try this: HTFU

gobsmacked Moderator
    Hey! We're not grouchy, we're big boned!

Hey! We're not grouchy, we're big boned!
    actually I think that retrogrouch is an inappropriate term anyways, Shiggy is a retrogrouch, drop bars, thumbies etc but on a newer bike, just resistant to accept the newer technologies. Hell I am the definition of retro grouch, no suspension, few gears. No you guys are more like halycon riders, loving the best of the old days, collecting that which you couldn't have when you wanted but not grouches. Although that probably makes most of you my age, since I still have parts from this era from old bikes, and old bikes, etc hanging around. So yeah your all grouches, just not retro grouches. Do you all have a name you refer to yourself as?

Ambivalent Luddite
    Ambivalent Luddite

inFATuated

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Bone head!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    there is a reason people call VRC'ers retrogrouches but you are right. I bet there were thousands upon thousands of specialized Umma Gumma tires made. Hell there were probably thousands of white OnZa porcupines made but they are posted here.

Still the "get off my lawn" is strong in here. Thick skins are needed to play here, many have learned this the hard way. Plus if you have a look at the Dark times threads you will see that a lot of people consider mountain biking to have entered dark times around the time Paul Turner crafted that first RockShox RS1 so a newer boxxer = teh evils.
    Most of us have modern bikes in addition to the old ones we talk about here. We just don't talk about them here because they don't fit the focus forum.

rubber side down
    So I should read more and post less? Maybe someone could school me with the proper definition of "vintage, retro and/or classic" when it comes to MTB geekspeak?

I started on a rigid bike (actually went through 2) but after breaking forks, frames and bending spindles I was more than happy to make the leap to some springs.

So to me, buying and geeking on "vintage, retro and/or classic" full suspension rigs with sexy anno parts is a lot more interesting than a modified beach cruiser that my great uncle Jack used to ride out into the woods to harvest his crop.

As for thick skin and being new to a forum; This isn't my first rodeo, keep it coming....I'm kinky that way.

And thanks for the welcome, I feel all warm inside

Person
    Sep 2005
    I'd say there are a lot of parts posted in this thread that aren't rare (then or now)...though a lot of it may be just as desirable now.

That Rock Shox Boxxer fork is not rare and not something really considered vintage, retro, or classic within this particular forum. Might be VRC to the DH forum guys.
    Your opinion is not the same as everyone else remember. I consider those forks VRC, and that model with the bosses for mounting brake posts is very rare.

We all have different views about old bikes, why bother spending your time internet-beating someone down because you don't agree with their definition of VRC? I think people who like Sligshots are insane, but also let them enjoy living in their fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    Most of us have modern bikes in addition to the old ones we talk about here. We just don't talk about them here because they don't fit the focus forum.
    Wait you guys ride bikes too?

Humanoid Lobster
    They sure look like Gravity Research canti's to me.

There were a couple of similar designs around then though. Joe's brakes, Critical, etc.

BTW - Hello everyone!

(Post too short? pfft.)

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Can anyone ID these brakes?

Don't call it a gooseneck.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Do you all have a name you refer to yourself as?
    Assho!es.
    -eric-

DFA
    mtbr member
    Geez. Everyone chill out and have a beer.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    They sure look like Gravity Research canti's to me.

There were a couple of similar designs around then though. Joe's brakes, Critical, etc.

BTW - Hello everyone!

(Post too short? pfft.)
    Hey stranger. How did you remember your password?!

Humanoid Lobster
    I had it written on a slip of paper, which I had slipped into the bottom bracket of a controversial FS bike and sealed it up for safekeeping.

I overhauled the BB this week, found the bike wanting, and came over to ***** about it.

gobsmacked Moderator
    hhhaaa haaaa haaa. You made my day. I've missed you. I hope you're well. You have my email.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz View Post
    Your opinion is not the same as everyone else remember. I consider those forks VRC, and that model with the bosses for mounting brake posts is very rare.

We all have different views about old bikes, why bother spending your time internet-beating someone down because you don't agree with their definition of VRC? I think people who like Sligshots are insane, but also let them enjoy living in their fantasy world.
    Granted, my opinion is not.
    Defining that fork as 'VRC' is debatable. Depends on where its being posted....in a vintage retro classic mtb forum, its not really that vintage (compared to the vast majority of the bikes, parts, opinions, and subjects discussed here).

This specific thread is about rare parts. I don't personally think that fork is VRC...or rare. Its reasonably accurate to assume the majority of other users of this forum will agree.

I like Slingshots and riding them. I get sh!t all the time for it. I'm not posting one in this thread because its not rare. I can say my 92 Sling is a 1 of 18 produced for the pro riders that season...the paint is a little different. Still not rare. White OnZa Porcs....desirable. Not rare.

Here's a picture of a Showa made Tioga Aviator fork that used to belong to John Tomac (lawyer tabs shaved off and all). Not many made, not sold to the public, and owned/used by Tomac. Its on the front of my (roughly) 1 of 60 Tomac Ti/Carbon Sig Raleigh. I'd say this is closer to being rare.

-eric-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz View Post
    I think people who like Sligshots are insane, but also let them enjoy living in their fantasy world.

What!? I love Slingshots..... not that I own one, but I've got my eyes open. I fully intend to enter that fantasy world someday.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by classen View Post

What!? I love Slingshots..... not that I own one, but I've got my eyes open. I fully intend to enter that fantasy world someday.
    Dude, check our local CL. Should be your size.
    -eric-

Person
    Sep 2005
    I don't personally think that fork is VRC...or rare. Its reasonably accurate to assume the majority of other users of this forum will agree.

When you assume you make an ass of u...

You don't like the fork, ignore it and move on. Let the people that want to enjoy seeing it do so. It doesn't take long to remember why I rarely look at mtbr anymore.

Team Brooklyn
    Here's a picture of a Showa made Tioga Aviator fork that used to belong to John Tomac (lawyer tabs shaved off and all). Not many made, not sold to the public, and owned/used by Tomac. Its on the front of my (roughly) 1 of 60 Tomac Ti/Carbon Sig Raleigh. I'd say this is closer to being rare.

I've seen these (in pictures, never in person) both with and without the silver and black "leg bands".
    Can you give me some insight on their purpose?
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Nobody cares about my AMP's [WHINE=Jon Richard]sulk[/WHINE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    By Rumpfys classification, my CT bike is "Rare" because there were less than 100 made and I happen to own at least 4 of them. It also fits into the "vintage" category because it's in the allotted time period of 0ad to 1997ad that defines the category.

Thanks Rumpfy for letting me join the club.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    By Rumpfys classification, my CT bike is "Rare" because there were less than 100 made and I happen to own at least 4 of them.
    "At least" 4? What? You're not certain? Isn't is cool when you have such a collection that you're no longer sure what you've got!

Grumps

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    By Rumpfys classification, my CT bike is "Rare" because there were less than 100 made and I happen to own at least 4 of them. It also fits into the "vintage" category because it's in the allotted time period of 0ad to 1997ad that defines the category.

If I say I like it and give you the validation you so obviously and desperately crave, will you shut up about your crapsicle? LMK, Thx.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly View Post
    If I say I like it and give you the validation you so obviously and desperately crave, will you shut up about your crapsicle? LMK, Thx.
    Hey Butterfly- come out of the closet and admit that you really do like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What cranks are those on the last bike? Morati Ti? Nice looking ride.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    I've seen these (in pictures, never in person) both with and without the silver and black "leg bands".
    Can you give me some insight on their purpose?
    Compression knobs up top, rebound down low (IIRC). Fork doesn't feel any better or worse than a Mag20/21.

Still doesn't mean its a great bike. Actually, I never really had issue with the CT itself. So far I'm finding that people who own them are pretty weird and argue funny.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly View Post
    LOL!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I like the dbag neg rep you coward, washmachineman NL

http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=599497

You'll get yours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the compliments Rumpfy.
    I actually don't think the CT is the greatest bike, just a really cool one with some interesting history and that it's extremely comfortable to ride.

mtbr member
    Old king headset thats been sitting on my desk for about 20 years. Its purple, pre laser etch cups and its for an evolution 1 1/4 size. Its never been on a bike. Bought it to go on a Yeti I had a long time ago and some dirtbag stole that bike before I put this on it.

Let's see those rare parts!-king-small.jpg

mtbr member
    I don't know who made this Ti stem, but a lot of effort went into it. It might be an industry sample. The quill bolt is hidden down low like a ControlTech or Zoom stem. There is a carbon fiber insert glued inside the quill to stiffen it up.

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2009_zps23d28d95.jpg

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2008_zpse6de0fed.jpg

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2007_zps05af6b43.jpg

mtbr member
    Compression knobs up top, rebound down low (IIRC). Fork doesn't feel any better or worse than a Mag20/21.

Are there really any compression or rebound adjusters on that fork?? Might be compression at the top, but that version does not have adjustable rebound. As for the "leg bands", the fork is air sprung and those adjust the air volume which controls the spring curve. Fork too progressive? Increase air volume and vice versa.

And I'm also pretty sure Tomac was the only one to shave off his lawyer tabs. Most everybody did that back when those first came to be as they were so awful when you were used to not having them. I still shave them off on all my modern forks as well. It's a lost art now.

Oh, and Control Tech full suspension rules. Best bike ever made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    It's a lost art now.
    LOL!

Kids these days, can only operate a smart phone not a Dremel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    LOL!

Kids these days, can only operate a smart phone not a Dremel.
    There's gotta be an app for that!!

I like to use a flat file. Takes a little longer, but much cleaner.

Humanoid Lobster
    Isn't it an Ibis stem? I'm not sure they ever did carbon inserts, but the finish and design look like an Ibis stem to me.

I don't know who made this Ti stem, but a lot of effort went into it. It might be an industry sample. The quill bolt is hidden down low like a ControlTech or Zoom stem. There is a carbon fiber insert glued inside the quill to stiffen it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    Isn't it an Ibis stem? I'm not sure they ever did carbon inserts, but the finish and design look like an Ibis stem to me.
    Same buried handlebar clamp bolt, but the clamp itself is not barrel shaped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I kick myself for giving a pair of those bull horns away, those are tasty

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    those Cucamonga cranks are possibly the craziset ive ever seen awesome

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    those were the hubs i drooled over when i was a kid, so tasty

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I totally forgot about the slingshot frames, so wierd. what is the tension on the cable?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    And I'm also pretty sure Tomac was the only one to shave off his lawyer tabs. Most everybody did that back when those first came to be as they were so awful when you were used to not having them. I still shave them off on all my modern forks as well. It's a lost art now.

Oh, and Control Tech full suspension rules. Best bike ever made.
    Whew! Thank gawd you're right all the time. Almost all the time.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I love the Machine Tech stuff too! Looking to trade some Zeroflex cantis to make a set, I have 1 silver and 1 black and would trade for the other to make a set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What are "Lawyer Tabs"?

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Lawyer tabs are a bit of extra metal on the fork drop out that holds the wheel in the drops if the quick release skewer comes loose. Most racers would file or sand them flat to save time in unscrewing QR say 4,5, complete revolutions when changing a flat. They are really are a face saver if your QR gets knocked open. I paid the price with a nasty injury.

mtbr member
    I hate them. I just filed some off a new Surley crosscheck fork last week. Hadn't done that in a several years!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice! I have the matching Safe hydraulic hose guides the mounted to cable stops. I used them to run the Magura HS11's on my San Andreas back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwing View Post
    Ever seen a set of these before? The shifter is an old Sachs twist shifter, but attached to these are the real beauty's:

"SAFE Products" manufactured Hydraulic Shifter Cables

Turn any shifter line into a hydraulic shift line. All that is needed is a short short run of cable on the shifter and derailer at each end which connects to the hydraulic cylinders. Very trick! When they weren't leaking fluid, they ran great, especially in the mud. They felt ultra smooth when working properly. At 200 bucks a line in the early 90's they were definately pricey way to click a derailer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Last edited by Higher Power; 03-11-2013 at 11:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Early 90's White industries hubs

Let's see those rare parts!-white-industries-rear.jpgNot sure rare how these babies are but im thinking rare enought to post here. Pretty crappy picture my bad. and now im going to polish them. I have the front one as well, but figured on crappy picture is enough
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see those rare parts!-white-industries-rear.jpg  

Such is life
    Mar 2013

Girvin Vector 2 on a 91 M700

Let's see those rare parts!-img_20130327_003121.jpg

I found this beauty at a local vintage store and set about getting it rebuilt to riding conditions and it worked out great. I am new to this forum and this is my first post here because this is the first bike I have owned I felt was worth sharing.

The bike is a 1991 Cannondale M700, the front fork is a Girvin Vector 2. I replaced the elastometers with the proper springs with the help of a bike shop out in Colorado that had parts for these forks(plus some pretty cool vintage mountain bikes on their site also) vectortworeplace this is their website if you're interested.

Let's see those rare parts!-img_20130327_003053.jpg

When I took to my local bike shop for the mechanic to look at his first words were "this is alot of crazy here". I took it as a compliment. Since then it has been fully restored and is ridden fairly regularly as a commuter/recreational bike.

mtbr member
    Very cool bike! Check the seat/chain stay for cracks regularly if you take it off road. Warrantied many of these back in the day. If yours has survived this long it's probably going to be fine. Again, cool bike!

Such is life
    Mar 2013
    THanks! I don't do much offroad riding on this bike but i will definitely keep an eye on those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Boxxer Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    1998 Rock Shox Boxxer Pro...

This was my dream fork back in the day.....here I am 14 or so years later finally able to afford 'em
    Very cool, I'm running a set of those on my Enduro. I got mine as a warranty replacement for some Judy DH's I broke ina race at Squaw Valley Ca

mtbr member
    Getting back to stuff that is truly rare, how about some prototype Avid Tri-Align brakes? No deburring, no anodizing, and some subtle differences in the machine work. The clean parts on the left are production versions for comparison.

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2278.jpg

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2279.jpg

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2280.jpg

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2281.jpg

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2283.jpg

And what about a Star headset, which has to have the lowest stack height of all time at only 18mm?

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2212.jpg

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2211.jpg

Let's see those rare parts!-img_2213.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    A brand new 1" Rebound fork that I got from Rick the owner of Wheelsmith in Palo Alto when I was working there in 1998 or bouts..

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    DC, that is a baller headset. When was it made?

Steve

mtbr member
    The Star headset is not super old. I first saw a threaded model in 1999, but it might have been developed earlier. There are 38 loose ball per cup, so it's not so user friendly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    some 3dv stuff:

NOS Ringle Cages
    Let's see those rare parts!-img_1914-25.jpg
    NOS Control Tech Control Stix
    Let's see those rare parts!-img_1917-25.jpg
    NOS Chris King Headset
    Let's see those rare parts!-img_1918-25.jpg
    New (not NOS) Chris King Hubs from a recent limited run
    Let's see those rare parts!-img_1919-25.jpg
    NOS Answer Hyperlite
    Let's see those rare parts!-img_192125.jpg
    ...and Paul Brakes (used, with NOS moon units)
    Let's see those rare parts!-img_1916-25.jpg

mtbr member
    I've got a small pile of parts that are definitely retro (still using my xc pro thumbies in the woods) and a few rare oddities courtesy of 2 summers working in a LBS in the mid 90's-

Magura HS 33 Silverlines on my fathers 93' Cdale M700, complete w/1.25" Tange threaded Ti headset (found at bike shop that had a complete Campi Record OR group under glass). Nothing unique about the frame other than that it's survived years of pounding under my father.

4 bolt disc Coda Hugi hub, now retired with a cracked flange after countless miles in the woods and later on the road.

Most of a Joe's rear derailleur, missing the mounting and original barrel adjuster bolts.

20 year Chris King 1.25" threadless headset that gained it's oddity status (to me at least) that was at times was converted to a Devolution for use with a Girvin Carbon Crosslink smart fork or with a Manitou 4 (Gripnut conversion). Both forks are long gone from my fleet but are still in service with those who bought em. Somewhere I have a Girvin Vector II with a twisted leg...

Cook Bro's F series crank with a rounded over taper and a spare spider.
    Alea Jacta Est

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

And what about a Star headset, which has to have the lowest stack height of all time at only 18mm?
    Cane Creek AER is the same...12mm lower cup, 6.2mm upper cup.
    Not vintage in any way shape or form though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love the Rebound fork. Was trying to remember the name of that thing a few weeks back.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Forks have gained a ton and more of torsional rigidity since those days, but the Rebound fork still seems like a viable concept, in functionality if not in marketability. Wonder how it'd be with modern materials, more travel, and an up to date shock.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

slower than you
    I hate it when this thread grows cold...

Let's see those rare parts!-9359461717_dc75d212f7_b.jpg

of arguable rarity, but indeed less common.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Carbonio disc hubs... new in the box.

Race Face SL100 carbon crank... prototype that I received from the designer and builder (who is also my neighbour).

Arvon LD stem... after nearly 30 years we still build these.

I had some Dynamic Composites carbon clincher blanks from 1998 here but they went back to the shop to be drilled and given eyelets... we are looking at putting these back into production.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

gobsmacked Moderator
    Sorry, sixty fiver. Keep on truckin'. LD stem in chrome! I like those cranks. Can't imagine they would last long.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Sorry, sixty fiver. Keep on truckin'. LD stem in chrome! I like those cranks. Can't imagine they would last long.
    Nothing to be sorry about.

Those cranks are the same model as what I have on my RM Blizzard and those have been taking a pounding for a long time... besides being designed to be lighter and stiffer than the Race Face forged cranks they also have to be tested to the point of destruction.

The alloy casting for the arms looks skeletal (and is hollow) when there is no carbon insert... I have seen the blanks and will probably have those here to ogle too.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    I would guess a wheelset like this is rare these days because so many of them were put to good use back in the hay day.

Sturmey Archer SAR 3's w/gold rims (rear is faded) purchased at Fat Tire Trading Post way back when.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Oh my...I built hundreds of those wheels!

Schipperkes are cool.

It is not a whistle.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

velocipede technician
    My bottle opener died quickly. There was also a wind chime
    looking for 20-21" P team

mmm dirt
    Oct 2011
    Let's see those rare parts!-20130804_194103.jpgI've got a set of caramba foible barrel cranks that I still use on my primary bike. Ill try to upload some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see those rare parts!-20130804_194050.jpg  

Last edited by xcmrx; 09-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.

He be a moose too.
    Those Caramba cranks are rare because most of them...

Let's see those rare parts!-50658793-l-1.jpg

shawnw

Rock Lobster stem

Paul pulled out all the stops to recreate a 1980's stem for my 1989 CX bike. He used 80's materials and even found an original decal. The stem is un-filed fillet brazed just like my frame. Here is a pic of Paul and my bike, can't wait to get the stem on.
    Let's see those rare parts!-stem.jpgLet's see those rare parts!-stem1.jpgLet's see those rare parts!-stem2.jpgLet's see those rare parts!-paul.jpg

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    Nothing to be sorry about.

Those cranks are the same model as what I have on my RM Blizzard and those have been taking a pounding for a long time... besides being designed to be lighter and stiffer than the Race Face forged cranks they also have to be tested to the point of destruction.

The alloy casting for the arms looks skeletal (and is hollow) when there is no carbon insert... I have seen the blanks and will probably have those here to ogle too.
    Are those any different than the Next LP cranks? The woven carbon is a decal for show - the actual carbon core is a different piece and not woven.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Im not sure if this is appropriate for this thread but how about a mid 90's F400 with Spin Rims? I have had these almost 20 years and only have seen 2 other sets on the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see those rare parts!-dsc_0850.jpg  

Let's see those rare parts!-dsc_0854.jpg  

Stokeless Asshat
    Pretty damn cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Paul pulled out all the stops to recreate a 1980's stem for my 1989 CX bike. He used 80's materials and even found an original decal. The stem is un-filed fillet brazed just like my frame. Here is a pic of Paul and my bike, can't wait to get the stem on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stem.jpg 
Views:	1118 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	840978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stem1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	840979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stem2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	840980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paul.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	840981
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast