mountaingoatcycles.com

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed

Anybody out there have a Pro Cruiser? willing to share you serial number? Supposedly, about 600 of them were made. Our serial numbers are 8 I 316 and 8 I B 290. The other serial number I found was 80 B 160. The second digit in our serial numbers sure look like an I not a 1 but I am wondering if the are 1981 models. Might make sense if the other one is a 1980 and 160 where ours might be 1981 models which works if the serial numbers are sequential? 2 of them have B in the serial as well. Wonder if that has any meaning?

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Got a little more info from Mert. Apparently, the first 2 digits should be the year so the I in our serial numbers is likely a 1. The B frames are drum brake models. He did mention the A frame being cantilever brakes, anyone seen an "A" frame. Our other one is a caliper brake model and doesn't have a letter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a nice Pro Cruiser. Searched all over and I can't seem to locate any serial numbers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    I can get some PC serial #s for the mtb's posterity sake.
    But, what's with closing the swap meet thread? Geez...I guess some of us did get a little crushed...Roll on and pretend your riding your bicycle...all your troubles will be left behind.
    ANYWAY...As for;
    Rumpfy...
    "Haha! Ya, I would never put a ProCruiser up against a Ritchey/Fisher/Kelly bike. I'm not personally sure what the appeal is on that particular bike."
    The appeal is speed down the hill and completely different bikes...True.
    A Ritch-Fish is XC. Those guys rode up hill.
    A PC is a Bomber. Donny was and is DH.
    On to about the PC.
    The first 26" frame Mert had in his hands and copied was made by Donny Koski.
    He gave it to Mert when Mert told Donny he was going to build BMX bikes.
    Check the Fly/SFO catalog. The red frame with Schwinn drop-outs.
    Mert took the frame to his Moto frame builder Terry Knight who also built Champion BMX frames. Terry added the smaller diameter double bar as on the Champions and changed the drop-outs. ooooo...moto style.

Merts words from the article "The Godfather of Suspension". Thx to BIGWHEEL!
    "My frame builder and I were talking one day and he said we should get into this bicycle thing. BMX bikes were big at the time, so I stopped into my local bicycle shop—the Cove Bicycle Shop here in Tiburon. I told the guys down there I was thinking about building some BMX bikes and they said, “Oh no, what you got to do is build a mountain bike.” I said, “What is that?’”
    Don Koski, the owner of the Cove Bicycle Shop helped me early on, giving me suggestions of what I should do and what I shouldn’t do. I decided to build a complete mountain bike—not just the frame." Suggestions?-just a frame.
    For obvious reasons Donny provided the frame to Mert. Help a Hero? agh...yah! Donny is a Downhiller that is why he still rides his ski bikes. He has been building Skibikes since '73 I believe.
    I know a little bit of the story as I worked at the Cove and also grew up with JL riding dirt bikes and bicycles.
    Oh, and another muckraking story is how DK had the Cook's Brothers build a Bomber fork. Just a big BMX fork, hugh? Check out the early Breezer and Fish's nickel Klunker...I mean "Bomber" as Donny called them.
    Sry for the rant.
    P

mtbr member

back to the subject... Serial #s

Blue #82C451
    Red #82B398
    Thanks
    P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-photo-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PiasRoller View Post
    Blue #82C451
    Red #82B398
    Thanks
    P
    Great looking bikes. Both yours?

They sure look nice with the original seat swapped out for a Brooks. I just need to get or make new brake pads for my drum brake version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Serial numbers

Still having a problem finding a serial number. Did they all have numbers? Here's some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-dsc_0001.jpg  

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-dsc_0002.jpg  

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-dsc_0005.jpg  

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-dsc_0006.jpg  

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-dsc_0007.jpg  

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-dsc_0008.jpg  

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-dsc_0009.jpg  

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-dsc_0010.jpg  

Illuminati
    I really like the look of that procruiser in the black with chrome & gold

mtbr member
    The Black PC w/ Drums....This I believe would be a first mass production PC.
    The fork is not like the pic.s I posted (later PCs and the Blue even later than the Red with the short Champion double bar.) ...I will have to ask about this.
    Here is a pic of a early Cook Bros fork (we brazed on the brake boss' back then)...only two holes at the dropout.
    Maybe Terry Knight built the PC forks also?...Why did the drop-out/fork design change and when?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-imag1385.jpg  

mtbr member
    I mean Blue w/ short double bar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfotog View Post
    Here's some photos.
    WOW- that is a gem!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Scan of Lawwill Knight Pro Cruiser decals

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-lawwill020.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lawwill Knight Pro Cruiser catalogs

Mountain Bike:
    Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-lawwill021.jpg
    Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-lawwill022.jpg

Street:
    Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-lawwill023.jpg
    Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-lawwill024.jpg

Trail-Blazer:
    Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-lawwill025.jpg
    Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-lawwill026.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Still trying to find info on Black PC w/drums. Line of ownership if that helps:
    Allan Seymour (1st?), Steve Ready, Bill Madigan. Were some made with no serial number? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    80B123 original owner, pics soon.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mine is 79 A 028, Has canti mounts, I think it is the street model.

mtbr member
    First post, joined so I could share.

This bike showed up unannounced via Fed Ex from a old great friend of mine, after I sent him pics of my new Koski Bros frame.

He was the original owner in 1980, bought straight from Donny at Cove Bike Shop.

Needless to say, it has been through a few iterations. The original forks broke long ago, the original drum wheels were bent and thrown away, and then "upgraded" to Pit Bull bmx brakes.

Our arrangement is that I restore it, and never sell it. Fair enough. I will also be doing a buildup thread of my retro-style 2015 Koski Bros bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-procruiser-day1.jpg  

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-procruiser-serial.jpg  

mtbr member

Check.... "all things koski" thread

Mark Slate, his girl (on a Schwinn w/ a CBR fork, that looks like the paint matches mark's bike) and Eric Koski on Pro-Cruisers with Cook Bros. forks.
    These are early Pro-Cruisers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-ek-slate-his-gal.-707x1024-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Hope The lost Lawwill ?

So do I have a story. In the early 80's I had been part of the original BMX bike racing movement for years. I was starting in High School and got a job working in a bike shop across the street. We as kids would break our bikes down and rebuild them after every race outing. So working in a bike shop was a natural fit. Cruisers were the in thing. So I was going to use my after school job money to buy a Cruiser. My future brother-in-law John George was racing for and working for Mongoose. He knew I wanted to buy a Cruiser. He told me Mongoose had a frame they used to design the prototype of the Kos Cruiser. The Kos was not out yet at that time. He said he thought he could get Mongoose to sell it to me for less than I was looking at spending. It was a frame and a fork alone so I'd have to build it out myself, but he felt I would get a better Cruiser then what I'd buy. The Fork is a Mongoose Fork. Mongoose had bought the frame from Cook Brothers. So I built this one off Cruiser with the proceeds of my first job. My dad who had done a lot of BMX bicycles helped me weld a shifter on the frame. I outfitted the back with an Atom drum brake 5 speed. My job ended in early January as a seasonal position. I had enough to pay for my bike. Over the years i rode it all over Santa Monica and Venice. At some pint I parked it and it grew dust. Around 2006 I dug it out and got it running again and offered it to my Son. "No way! I don't want to be seen on that thing, I want a mountain bike." So it has set for anther decade. I got an itch to find a matching Atom Front hub. It took a few years and $300 to buy what I could have had for $80 in the 80's, Oh well. Then another 2 years to find Arraya C7 rims to match the original. I took my wheel and bike to a great local guy here in the San Fernando valley, Paul at Atomic Cycles. He identified my frame as a Lawwill, I've been getting on the road again. Here are some pics. It's amazing never knowing the history of the actual bike. I originally put a brooks seat on, a SunTour derailleur, Shimano break lever. Very close to the original parts list. The dual Atom hubs really allow the ballon tires to ride extra smooth. I looked for my serial number, it's buried under the original paint.

Lawwill Pro Cruiser serial numbers needed-lawwill_current.jpg