Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    illuminaughty

Lawwill Leader Fork

It's so cool finding treasures I saw this one about a week or so ago at a bike shop.They were going to take it off a Trek and put on a rigid fork...I kept checking back and now it's MINE! Long 1" steerer, looks like it was rarely used. This is the second in my collection but this one is in way better condition.

Does anyone have any tuning info or links on this shock. I've seen a couple on Retrobike and Mombats but no solid info as far as air and oil...thanks in advance if you can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Leader Fork-ll1.jpg  

Lawwill Leader Fork-ll2.jpg  

Lawwill Leader Fork-ll3.jpg  

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    If I remember correctly, you can adjust the geometry by raising or lowering the black tubes in the triple clamp.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I helped Mert develop that fork back in 1990-1991 and I came up with the name for it, too! If you look, you will notice that the leading links are different lengths-this controls the geometry so that the trail never changes as the fork compresses, unlike other forks, where the steering quickens up as they compress because the amount of trail is changing. Also notice the links are pointing upwards-this helps it get up and over obstacles. I used to demonstrate this feature by running head-on into a curb without pulling up on the bars and the fork would just float up and over! Risse racing is still around in Norcal and can service the shock. I used to use about 60 pounds of air for a plush ride-I'm about 155 pounds. Also the fork oil weight can be changed to speed up or slow down the action-i.e. 7.5 weight to 10 weight oil. There is about 2.5 inches of travel available.

mtbr member
    I had a copy of the manual around somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up. I just moved and don't remember coming across it so it may be lost to the ages.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What an awesome-looking piece of equipment. Thanks for the detail, Pat. I would love to have one of these myself, and would be truly grateful if someone could get me in contact with someone who would like to sell one.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Control Tech made the commercial versions of the Leader. There were 3 generation-difference mostly being how the shock was mounted, and graphics. Here's an old pic of several gens. check out the shock mounts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Leader Fork-lawwill-forks.jpg  

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by FairfaxPat View Post
    I helped Mert develop that fork back in 1990-1991 and I came up with the name for it, too! If you look, you will notice that the leading links are different lengths-this controls the geometry so that the trail never changes as the fork compresses, unlike other forks, where the steering quickens up as they compress because the amount of trail is changing. Also notice the links are pointing upwards-this helps it get up and over obstacles. I used to demonstrate this feature by running head-on into a curb without pulling up on the bars and the fork would just float up and over! Risse racing is still around in Norcal and can service the shock. I used to use about 60 pounds of air for a plush ride-I'm about 155 pounds. Also the fork oil weight can be changed to speed up or slow down the action-i.e. 7.5 weight to 10 weight oil. There is about 2.5 inches of travel available.
    Pat, thank you for the info, great stuff. From your pics it looks like mine is the middle one. Does that make it 2nd generation? Also is the air valve a needle valve input behind the "slotted plug" on the top of the shock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yours is the 2nd gen Control Tech. There were actually two generations previous to Control Tech, the first 12 being built by Sandy Kosman' drag race shop in S. F.-that's the one I crashed on in 1991 in Moab-( was paralyzed and spent 18 days in hospital before I got better.) Then Mert built the next gen. to finish development and then came Control Tech. The early ones used a rubber needle valve like on a basketball, Risse sent me a few awhile back, so they are available-the later models used a Schrader valve.
    Last edited by FairfaxPat; 06-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FairfaxPat View Post
    I helped Mert develop that fork back in 1990-1991 and I came up with the name for it, too!...
    This place never ceases to amaze me! Cool fork, great story. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    You probably have already seen this but here is a manual for the Lawwill 3. The shocks I believe are pretty much the same except for the air valve. I forget what weight oil I used but I know Control Tech back in the late 90's said I could go as high as 120psi.
    Lawwill Leader 3 Manual | Retrobike

There is also some limited info on parts for rebuilding the shock.
    Lawwill leader 3

There is also info about one of the members here using a valve from a motorcycle tube to replace the needle valve. Look for post #8.
    My Not so "Vintage" IBIS SS

Don't sell it they are getting ridiculously expensive on ebay but if your inclined to get rid of it I would be interested. Just saying!

Great find!

illuminaughty
    Thanx so much Quasimoto, great info....:-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm also interested in one...I missed out on one that just sold on ebay...arghhh...I have a fisher rs-1 (merts design) that I want to put one on.The fisher is in excellent condition and would be soo sweet to match it up with a lawill fork. PM me if someone has one for sale...I soo want to ride the fisher, but it isnt finished till I get me one of these forks!

Thanks to all the info provided here also.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Just a note to the new guys: WTB spam will be deleted. da'Hoov is an old hat around here and if it's for sale, he'd take out an ad. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I bought the first RS-1 from GF when he got a new one, back in the early '90s. I put the Lawwill fork on it and rode it for a few years, then sold it to a friend here in Fairfax, who still has it. Here's a pic with GF and the bike. It's interesting to note that the rear suspension, also designed by Mert, kinda looks like the fork laid over on it's side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Leader Fork-j3456x2304-05534-1.jpg  

illuminaughty

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Just a note to the new guys: WTB spam will be deleted. da'Hoov is an old hat around here and if it's for sale, he'd take out an ad. Thanks.
    thanks for the vote of confidence....and yes I would...if it was for sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I adapt a Schrader valve stem from a old motorcycle inner tube (with threads all the way) to easy up on the inflation procedures plus car valve never go bad like the originals.

Sorry I don't have a better picture.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ooooops..sorry....

VRC Hound
    G! You misspelled "asshat"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    These are great forks.
    I have two NOS pairs of leader 3s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    sweet. I like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    They look cool as hell!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lawwill Leader Fork-rsz_img_0218.jpg  

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig View Post
    G! You misspelled "asshat"
    Who would do such a thing?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Can we ask for things for free, because I would really lie DaHoov to give me one of his Lawill forks.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBike13 View Post
    Can we ask for things for free, because I would really lie DaHoov to give me one of his Lawill forks.
    Of course! Just go to his post, see his name in the left margin? If you click on it, you'll see some options, one of them is to send him a Private Message ("PM"). Write what you need or want to say, and scroll down and hit send. It doesn't even need to be free.

If you get a message back, in that box near the top of the screen, "Private Messages" that is underlined should be in bold and then after that, you would have Unread and a number. Click on Private Messages to see what you got.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help or ask the Hoov. He's somewhat of an expert on the private messaging system.

mtbr member
    Thank you, GOB. You rule with a velvet fist. Appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast