Thread: Lava Dome

mtbr member

Lava Dome

Ok, I know these aren't the super bikes of 80's and 90's but this one grabbed my attention on the bay so when it came to me I added the components to make it the bike it should be. It's my first Kona, and that makes me wonder why? Great geometry, history and a genius designer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=proto2000]Ok, I know these aren't the super bikes of 80's and 90's but this one grabbed my attention on the bay so when it came to me I added the components to make it the bike it should be. It's my first Kona, and that makes me wonder why? Great geometry, history and a genius designer.

Perhaps because it is a production bike frame that is made overseas, rather than a handmade bike made by a domestic builder? Maybe the Brits go a bit too crazy over them on the Retrobike site? I dunno, I like my '94 Hot alright! I dig my Joe Murray designed bikes, both Konas and Voodoos alike.

Klunker Kev`
    Love Konas, great bikes. I`ve got a couple Kilaueas and another frame I`m currently building up. In the early 90`s, they were hard to beat for the money...

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Never ridden a Kona... That looks real nice! Tange tubing?
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Since my 98 Explosif is still my main bike (ok, this year my Transition Trans AM is getting more rides, BUT both companies are based in the same town!) I don't think I need say a whole about how great steel framed Kona's are!
    It's kind of funny about the Brit comment above because when I was shopping around for a new HT frame some of the companies I contacted, a couple of Brit ones referenced that their frames were based on old Konas.
    Bikes=Sanity

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    That's a 1993, I was torn between that and the Diamond Back Apex that year...
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

VRC Illuminati
    Not for me personally, but thats a good classic lookin' MTB right there.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Sweet Kona! I've never owned one, but wouldn't mind having a Lava Dome such as yours, or even an Explosif or Hot.

mtbr member
    Love vintage Kona's...even the relatively low end models are cool...

Witty McWitterson
    I loved my Kona Hot. I would probably still own it today if it weren't stolen from me back in 98 or so. It was a great riding, and handling bike.
    Just a regular guy.

Threadkiller
    Wow! That brings back some memories. That was my first real mountain bike. I bought it in May 1993, Rock Shox Quadra and LX Thumbies. I paid $750 for it and rode the heck out of it. Late 1995 I changed it to almost all XTR and a RS Judy XC. October 1998 a crack developed on the downtube waterbottle boss. Kona warrantied it and I paid up for an Explosif.

It looks to be in really good shape. I hope you get some epic rides on it.
    Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch.

No known cure
    Nice! I love early 90's sloping TT frames from the PNW. You may want to check the direction of your brake pads.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member

First ride

The first ride was awesome, bike handled way better than I thought it would. It is more stretched out than I usually ride because of the longish stem but once I started hitting the single track it felt right. The NOS Turbo Ti saddle is not that any more with the mud and sweat on there. BTW, the arrows are pointing forward so I think that they are on there correctly. The rear set has a front front specific pad set on them but that's what I had so that's what I used, worked great too. All in all it's a nice riding bike that will stay with me for a few years. The Breezer is the other bike that went out today ridden by my neighbour who wants it so he had a chance to get some mud on it. Great morning of riding in NorCal.

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.