Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Late 1980's Ross Mt. Bike Models - differences

There was the Mt. Whitney, Mt Hood, Mt, Rainier and maybe others, I just don't know which was the low end and which was the high and what the differences were.

Most important to me are the differences between the Mt. Hood and the Mt. Rainier. This would be about 1985-86 when they had under chainstay mounted roller cam rear brakes and friction shifters.

I would love to find/see an old catalog but any information would be much appreciated.

All the vintage websites seem to make mention of Ross bikes but I can't find any good info.
    Last edited by _BKK; 05-02-2006 at 12:22 PM.

John Galt
    I won't be much help, but maybe describing the bike I briefly owned will help if someone can compare/contrast...

I bought a Mt. Rainier from 1986 last year for its rollercams and then parted out the bike. The tubing was Tange MTB and the bike had Mountech FD, XC Power rollercams, XC Power levers (currently for sale on EBay ) and XC Power friction-only thumbies, XC beartrap pedals, XC Sport hubs and those 'no model name' heavy Araya rims so many entry- to mid-level bikes had back then. When I got it, the RD was Shimano STX, so that was obviously replaced. I'm actually not sure if the XC Sport hubs would have been original. I never did pin it down with component dates and could be wrong there, but the previous owner said 1986 and that fit with the friction-only shifters.

The bike was HEAVY, but it was also too big for me and I'm 6'1" - I think it was a 22" frame. Given it had Suntour XC in the days before XC Pro and Tange MTB tubing, I assume this was a mid-range bike (maybe upper end of mid?).

For reference, it was blue and white. Here are some frame photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RIDE

I have two Mt Hoods.

Both are Hi-Techs,1986 & 1987/88 models. The '86 Has Cunningham Designed rollercams and Suntour XC and the '87/88 Mt Hood has Shimano U-Brakes front and back with Shimano 6 speed components.
    Both Mt Hoods have Tange Triple butted MTB cromoly but the '87/'88 seems heavier and has a longer wheelbase.
    I'm sure someone here has some scans and info.
    Last edited by Built4Speed; 10-17-2006 at 06:39 AM.
    'Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death'
    http://fotki.com/vintagemtbr/

Joe R.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the input. If somebody has a catalog or scans of the details on these bikes it would be great.

That picture of the Ross Mt. Hood looks just like the one I had. I really enjoyed that bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by _BKK
    Thanks for the input. If somebody has a catalog or scans of the details on these bikes it would be great.

That picture of the Ross Mt. Hood looks just like the one I had. I really enjoyed that bike.

Hi-Tech Mt. Whitney was my first mtb in 1984; it was top of the Ross line, welded up in Japan. I have the catalog/spec page w/pic; see if I can scan it and post it. Weighed 31 lbs. XT Deore friction thumbies and derailleurs, with the antler symbol. Bullmoose bars, all chrome, Ishiwata tubing in the frame, Tange fork. Perfect condition when it was stolen in 1995, god damn it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    (First post by a newbie)
    I'm 58 and have only recently gotten into any kind of shape. My wife and I will be doing mostly onroad riding - we have a pair of RANS Fusions on order - but we also have a couple of old Rosses for casual mixed use (mine is a chrome Mt. Whitney). Lots of choices for riding here in the Asheville NC area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Two99Point80
    ...a couple of old Rosses for casual mixed use (mine is a chrome Mt. Whitney).
    Casual always preferred to formal. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks - was hoping you'd notice :-) Please email me if you would...

mtbr member
    Check out this thread from another site. Some good info. I guess Tom Kellog designed the first series before starting Spectrum.

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-39115.html
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

mtbr member
    From the Spectrum web-site: "November, 1980 - June, 1982 - Tom sets up the legendary "Signature" department at Ross Bicycles and develops the Ross Signature line. After a motorcycle accident, Tom leaves Ross Bicycles and founds Spectrum Cycles. Tom hires Ross Bicycles’ Master Builder Jeff Duser away from the Signature Division of Ross in March, '85."

mtbr member
    Two Ross threads on the same day. Who would have guessed. I meant to post my info on the other thread.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    This is weird how bikes pop up. I just bought a bike on Craigslist that turned out to be..you guessed it..a Ross. This ones a Diamond Cruiser, Mountain bike type lugged steel frame, BMX looking straight fork, 26" Blue anodized wheels, Blue ano.high-flanged hubs, Blue ano. highlighted crankset and Blue ano. pedals. Heavy as a tank but looks to be in good shape. I bought it for the wheels but may have to clean it up and see how it behaves...pics anyone?
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4bikes
    pics anyone?
    post 'em up!
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The one I have was purchased in 1986.
    http://img161.imageshack.us/slidesho...464358ep8.smil

John Galt

Ross in 1986 NORBA Nationals

The bikeforums site, linked above, contains mention of Ross' team in the 1980s. I haven't watched the video in a while, but I recall that Ross had at least a couple of racers in the 1986 NORBA Natl's video that Veloculture was kind enough to send (thanks!). Does anyone here know more about the team and/or who was on it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here's a site I tripped across that has some race winners posted from the early 80's. I'm sure some are in there if you can figure out who.

http://www.mountainbikeroots.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi,

I just finished building up an old 1984 Ross Mt. McKinley frame that I got off of Craigslist for $50. I had some parts already but I put about $100 into components. I have been a fan of Ross bikes since my first mountain bike was a '83 or '84 Ross Mt. Hood and I had a lot of adventures on it as a tow-headed youngster. I really liked the ride of the Mt. Hood and I wanted a bike with that ride quality but with updated/early nineties components. So I outfitted the Mt. McKinley with beefy DX rapidfire shifters, an LX rear derailler, LX brake cantilevers, a cartridge BB, a chromo quill stem, a basic Forte aluminum handlebar, short bar ends, comfortable Ritchey True Grips, a Specialized Prolong saddle, silver SPDs and a low Q factor late 80s Shimano crankset. The shifting is quick and precise and the bike stops on a dime. The finished bike is a little heavier than newer bikes of course but it has a nice solidity and balance to it. I like the chrome frame and from what I understand it is resistent to scraps and scratches.

Anyway I was so happy with the way the bike turned out that I wanted to show it off to other Ross fans who might possibly understand my particular mania.

B

Last edited by William40; 09-17-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    Very nice, great mix of old and new(er)....lots of happy riding coming up on this one..
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice bike William40! Anyone who has rode a Ross of that type will understand your particular mania. Mine is the signature series and your description of " nice solidity and balance" is a perfect explanation of the feeling you get when riding it. It not only "stops on a dime" but turns on one also. I like the tires you put on your bike but the original ones (on mine anyway), for those who don't know, had a smooth band of tread down the center that made it feel like it had thin tires when going straight on the road. The bike is heavier than some of the new ones but nothing worth being concerned about, mostly after experiencing the practically effortless ride it gives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just have to say that this bike is far from outdated. Technology has kicked this bike closer to the road as a reliable commuter but it is still formidable if you want to push the envelope on the road or dirt. I think that Ross was very intent to bring great diversity to the bike's design for well rounded function. If I was still into biking, I would take great pleasure in blowing the competition off the road/path with this bike....At least, I'd try!

Built4Speed

Here's a Ross Mt.Hood

I learned something about this bike when I tried to swap the heavy dogbone stem for a Tioga T-Bone with a 150mm length and 5 degree rise...the quill is a .0833 diameter so I can't use the 1" style. I'm not even going to bother installing a 1" threaded steerer fork so I'm stuck with Ross stem. I've been using this bike as my daily ride and it's silky smooth but I have yet to do some serious trail riding with it. It's a heavy bike but I'm sure it'll do good on the trail.I'll post a trail photo in a few days.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

Built4Speed

Nice Ross you have there.

You must have a newer bike compared to mine.I can't fit a traditional 1" stem on mine as it seems to have smaller diameter quill.
    I like your Ross. Thanks for sharing.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A friend of mine gave me this frame back in 2002. I have often wondered where it roots came from. It is a Ross Signature Reynolds 753 steel lugged frame with a 1 1/8th steer tube. It says made in USA exclusively for ROSS by Waterford precision cycles. I converted it to single speed.

here today
    Bring back this thread.

But does someone have a catalogue scan for 1986 Ross Mt. McKinley or pictures.
    Just acquired a frame and will look at doing a build or restoration project.

Any info appreciated, thanks in advance!

likes beer
    Im looking for a .833 inch (21.15mm) quill stem for a 1984 Ross Mt. Whitney.....anyone?

Even some of those original integrated bullmoose bars would be great.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast