Spin it again

Koski DKG Trailmaster #20

This one came to me as a frame + fork that looked like it hadn't seen much usage over it's lifetime.

I've tried to build it up as I imagine it might have looked rolling out the door of Cove Bike Shop some 30+ years ago.

150_1072

150_0966

150_1052

150_1084

150_1030

150_1036

150_1058

Suntour VX derailleur modified for use on oversize seattube.
    150_1066

150_1061

150_1054

150_0960

150_1045

Here are some odds and ends from the 1980 Trailmaster catalog that influenced the build:
    tm_logo

The 1980 Trailmaster catalog lists Breezer, Pro-Cruiser, Laguna, Cook Bros, and Champion frames, but not the Trailmaster frame (huh???) I didn't even know the Trailmaster/DKG frames existed until hiawatharider started this thread 30 years riding the same mountain bike several years ago.

Magura Ergo grips with turned down flanges, Magura Shorty levers, Suntour thumbies:
    grip_grayscale

Headset seal - the one on this TM was originally on an early Ritchey built up at Cove. And yes I would agree with the "special formulation rubber" description, the seal was exposed to grease and grime for 30+ years and still feels pretty fresh.
    headset_seal

Cinelli 1A stem. I'll have to tell my son to try and remember not to launch any 50 ft jumps when he borrows the bike.
    cinnelli_1a

Suntour VX derailleur modified for oversize 1.25" seattube. Apparently Koski would reform the FD clamp halves by beating them over an 1.25" mandrel:
    marked_vx_catalog_scan

For this modification, the industrious E. Koski only charged an additional $3! Considering all the time I spent screwing around with the front derailleur modification, I would have gladly paid the extra three bucks!
    marked_vx_pricing

150_1071

velocipede technician
    I feel a trailmaster ride coming on..
    looking for 20-21" P team

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I ALWAYS look forward to seeing your bikes as well as your threads, NSR. Excellent, as usual. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Very Cool! Great pictures and a beautiful bike!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

downtube/top tube?

very nice bike! i know most trailmasters were supplied with the decal on the top tube, but i, too, like the look on the downtube. i wish mine wasn't 2,000 miles away. i'd ride it tomorrow. cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Incredible bike nightshade_rider. That frameset landed in the right hands for sure.

mtbr member
    I saw my first Trailmaster at a group ride in Houston this weekend. It was lab led as a 1979. Stunning bikes to say the least!

slow
    Very nice! I too have messed around with that front derailleur mod in the past, and it is tricky to get right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wow what a cool bike, well done..

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider View Post
    This one came to me as a frame + fork that looked like it hadn't seen much usage over it's lifetime.
    Awesome bike!

Its...been repainted though, so how do you figure it hasn't seen much use?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider View Post

I've tried to build it up as I imagine it might have looked rolling out the door of Cove Bike Shop some 30+ years ago.
    Bike Looks GREAT!!! Nice Job man

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Awesome bike!

Its...been repainted though, so how do you figure it hasn't seen much use?
    Hey E- Still a bit of a mystery to me whether the frameset has been repainted or not. I am not expert enough to know just by inspecting it. I don't think I'd even be able to tell the difference between powdercoat and wet paint.

My first impression upon seeing the frame was that it was repainted. It was the first TM I had seen with the newer-style split cable housing stops, and plastic cable guide screwed on under the BB. So I assumed that the stops were re-brazed when it was re-painted.

But now I'm not so sure ... the split stops started appearing on early Ritcheys around mid '82. And EK was still marketing the TMs during this period as he was still posting ads in Fat Tire Flyer during '82.

But you probably have seen the actual frameset and likely know more about its history than I do.

I did get the bike out on the dirt for the first time yesterday. A bit doggish on the climbs but super-fun on the downhills. The wheelbase is 1-1/2" longer than the early Ritcheys, but most of the difference is front-center as the stays are about the same length. And the head angle is a bit steeper on the TM. Feels very sure-footed and predictable on the descents, although some of the difference may be the small block 8 tires, first time riding the dirt with those as well.

mtbr member
    Koski DKG Trailmaster #20-houston-trailmaster.jpg

Sorry for the cell pic. And the thread jack.... Carry on.

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post

Sorry for the cell pic. And the thread jack.... Carry on.
    Very cool ... I bet your PM box will get a few hits today

mtbr member
    It's not mine... The wife and I were out on a group ride on our vintage rides, neither as cool as this one or yours... What caught my eye were the wood balls on the tip on the bar ends and of course the TR bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    What caught my eye were the wood balls on the tip on the bar ends.
    Sounds like moots? Thanks for the cell pic!

mtbr member
    http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/2005nov/116_1635.JPG

Like this, but w/o the foam. Yup, Moots.