Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kooka history

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Kooka history

I remember when kooka cranks first were introduced. I was starting a bike mail order business(yeah, to support my MTB habit) and kooka readily sold me several cranks. My friends were so lucky. Some of the first ones cracked; kooka improved them and replaced them. The spider of the crank was well designed. Before 94mm BCD became standard, you could mount a 20tooth on the spider without an avid adapter. Their sweet color schemes made you faster too, and go for $$$ on Ebay. Anyone have any history on the rise and fall of Kooka? Here is the old Bike Pro write up. Kooka Cranks - Bicycle Parts at discount prices / the Buyer's Guide / Bicycle Parts at their finest! / Professional Bicycle Source / Bike Pro
    Urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member

They are History

7 individual cracks developed in 500 miles of road riding, and then one failed. Thanks Kooka.

Kooka history-img_2010_zps4e898613.jpg

Kooka history-img_2011_zpscc408af2.jpg

artistic...
    I was gonna say it's the History of breakage.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does anyone actually own a set of Kooka cranks (that have actually been ridden ) that haven't broken? A friend of mine in the business at the time had a bunch of sets, and he offered me a pair for nothing. Of course, he warned me that they would eventually self destruct, hence the reason that he offered them to me for free.

I stuck with my XC Pros.

mtbr member
    They were known as either Kreaka's or Kracka's bitd. All I got to add.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Been riding the same set for Kooka I-Beams for about 20 years now. I've heard others complain about breakage but they've treated me right. I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs so not exactly light.

Also have a second set in silver (not the I-Beam style) on a recently rebuilt Zaskar but haven't ridden them too much.

...and since I was such a good boy this year Santa is delivering more Kooka goodness.

Tough crowd. I'd counter the breakage critics with all the other cranks I've seen suffer breakage. Plenty of broken Caramba's, Cook's, Topline's, whatever. Not sure how you could break a road crank. That seems like an obvious manufacturing flaw that should have been under warranty.

Don't know much about their history but the minute I saw them I had to have a set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have a set that had been used and remain. I believe that the first runs cracked and that later ones were thicker and did not, do not remember the source of that information. The Zaskar mine came on definitely had hours on it. The one's I have are tie died and have a identical spider as Groundoggy's set. The tie die colors and patterns is artwork IMO.

underachiever
    I've had a Kooka crankset, several sets of brake levers and a bottom for years. No issues. Love 'em!

Team Brooklyn
    Rode, raced and swapped mine from bike to bike over the last 20 years and no problem so far.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Some were forged and some were made from billet.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    My silver ones were second run billet, the only problem I had was the bolt that holds the spider to the arm sheared a few years ago and I had to drill out the part stuck in the arm, and then re-tap the hole to take a different bolt threading.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Picked these up somewhere. Someday I will use them on a build:

Levers are already assigned to a project:

Never have actually used Kooka products.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    From what I've read the set I posted are the original design that had some breakage issues. There's some extra aluminum around the BB taper - on later cranks it is machined away. Not sure how removing aluminum increases strength but I read it in another thread and you can't put it on the internet if it's not true.

Aemmer's set is the 2nd gen. Still an I-Beam style but less prone to breakage.

Misterdangerpants has the 3rd generation.

...and then they went cold forged probably because all three probably broke if you put enough force on them.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundoggy View Post
    From what I've read the set I posted are the original design that had some breakage issues. There's some extra aluminum around the BB taper - on later cranks it is machined away. Not sure how removing aluminum increases strength but I read it in another thread and you can't put it on the internet if it's not true.

...and then they went cold forged probably because all three probably broke if you put enough force on them.
    How can you tell Aemmer's set is 2nd gen? The spider?
    Thanks
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The area where it attaches to the BB is milled out on 2nd and 3rd generation cranks. Instead of that milled out thin 'U' shape there would be solid aluminum.

There is no milling in that area on the first generation cranks.

mtbr member
    I have a set like Aemmers, 2nd gen I guess. Bought them new to put on my new K Fervor. Guess that was back in 94.

Kooka's still going strong, now set up as a SS. I keep an eye on them, as I've heard about breakage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=Groundoggy;9998746]The area where it attaches to the BB is milled out on 2nd and 3rd generation cranks. Instead of that milled out thin 'U' shape there would be solid aluminum.

There is no milling in that area on the first generation cranks.[/QUOTEThanks for the info, I guess I have the second generation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    I have a set that had been used and remain. I believe that the first runs cracked and that later ones were thicker and did not, do not remember the source of that information. The Zaskar mine came on definitely had hours on it. The one's I have are tie died and have a identical spider as Groundoggy's set. The tie die colors and patterns is artwork IMO.
    Definitely anodized artwork on many Kooka cranks. Even in silver I just think they have a beautiful, elegant shape and luster.

You are selling your set on eBay right? A bit faded but not much shoe rub (which I noticed immediately). I was the high bid for a recent set that sold. It was hard to resist for Christmas as long as things didn't get too crazy and I'm a sucker for 3DV. Hoping I didn't ace somebody here out but oh well. They were too damn purdy to miss out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundoggy View Post

Your set is the same series as my silver 180s with the double-granny bolt pattern. Its also worth noting that the Kooka that was american isn't related to the Kooka under canadian ownership other than the canadians bought out the americans, and solved all the product defects when they switched to canadian manufacturing and especially cold forging of the crankarms.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Chucklehead
    Kooka = Garbage.

Pretty garbage, but garbage.

True story; early on when they were still in Carson City one of the original principal figures in the 'company' was a guy named "Stan Fail". I think I still have a business card from that guy from Interbike '93.

You cannot make ironic crap like that up.

Riding Kooka cranks is living on borrowed time. They will break, and it will not be a subtle event. Why not just retire them to a bookshelf and run something else?

If they haven't failed in several years of usage, they're not gonna just let go without any warning signs....

Chucklehead
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    If they haven't failed in several years of usage, they're not gonna just let go without any warning signs....

May your brother in law be a maxilofacial surgeon, so at least you can keep all that money for your mandibular reconstruction in the family.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    +1, many have had good luck with the later Kooka's

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've been riding on a pair of the forged cranks for years now and they are still solid. I weigh 240 lbs. and have bashed them on all sorts of rocks and logs in AZ too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Still using my two set of cranks ...

Also my brake levers ( had another 2 pairs without issues ) ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast