Klunker Project Finished

Printable View

• 02-13-2008
    benwitt11
    3 Attachment(s)
    Klunker Project Finished
    Here are the build pics for my Klunker build. The bike is complete save for some subtle pin striping that will be done next week. Thanks.
  • 02-13-2008
    1 cog frog
    Stunning
    That is a beautiful bike. I liked it when you posted the last pics, but it is beautiful all finished and painted.

I am still intrigued by the headtube reaming to 1 1/8". Was it really hard on the reamer? I asked about doing that in the frame building forum and the only response I got back was "why ruin your reamer doing that?"

I would love to hear more details about the frame modifications.

Looks awesome, can't wait for a ride report!

frog
  • 02-13-2008
    benwitt11
    It's really not that much to ream out. 1" BMX has an ID of 32.7mm, 1 1/8th has an ID of 34.0. This leaves you to ream .65mm out of the head tube it fit a threadless headset. That's not something I would normally worry about. I do have a bit for my reamer that it a little past it's prime. That is what I used with liberal amounts of cutting fluid and time. It's not so bad.

The frame was modified with rear dropouts from Paragon, and the BMX BB shell was opened up to fit an eccentric insert. The binder bolts were then added to the shell and it was slotted. The seatpost clamp was removed in favor of two binder bolts, and hydro guides were brazed on. The head tube was unenforced with lugs, and that's about it.

We've been putting in some hot laps around the shop, (faster and more fun then it sounds,) and it rides really well. It is heavy, solid and stiff, and this contributes to a superb sense of balance in corners. I could not really get how slides like famous Repack photos were possible, but it's pretty clear now. The bike is drastically different from any "modern performance geometry" and I love it. We'll see how it rides on the trails, but it should be a lot of fun.
  • 02-13-2008
    1 cog frog
    Thanks...
    I appreciate the info, do you remember the wall thickness of the headtube after reaming?

I may have to see if one of the local shops is willing to do the same to my frame. That would solve my brake woes pretty easily.

Were the re-inforcing rings necessary or just decorative?

That is probably the best looking bike I have seen posted here in a long time IMHO.:thumbsup:
  • 02-13-2008
    benwitt11
    I do not remember the HT thickness. The frame builder who did most of the mods did not think that it would have been an issue without the rings, but I like them and the do add some sense of security.

Thanks for the compliment, but there are some really nice bikes here, this is just a Schwinn! (My vote goes to the black Fat with the Rody fork! Damn.)
  • 02-14-2008
    teamdicky
    Those moto levers are a nice touch.
  • 02-14-2008
    Joe Steel
    Great project Ben!

I bet you hate to see it come to an end.

Cheers~

Joe
  • 02-14-2008
    Cactus Jack
    Beautiful bike; one of the nicest I've seen.
    So what's the next klunker project?:)
    Thanks for sharing!
  • 02-14-2008
    CS2
    That is so nice. I'm really jealous.:D

Tim
  • 02-14-2008
    Boy named SSue
    That turned out really cool. Good job.

Those bars are boss. What are they?
  • 02-17-2008
    BikeSATORI
    very nice, looks like a lot of fun!

...pardon me for missing out, but just from what I've read here I'm assuming you had other threads with more detail on the build... ? ...care to point me in that direction with a link? I'd be curious to read more about the build.