Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: klunker bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

klunker bike?

What makes a good klunker frame, is it just about any bike and frame? Or are there certain brands. Why asking I might want to try and find a good old frame and put either disc brakes or v brakes on it. I have seen alot of old bikes fixed up on this site, some frames looked pretty shtty other alot of work put into frame to make bike looke excellent.
    I sure alot of money too?

Are there any forums where you can go to look for ideas and information? I mean there is this one but this also is more about mtb. bikes right?

Are bike swap meets a good place to pick up a old frame, and what would be a good price to pay? OO sure you can not say until you see it, but there is a refurb bike shop where I am and they are asking top dollar for some pretty crape bikes and frames. Yes everyone is allowed to make a profit, but just asking where else to look? Are there any good bike swamp meets that have decent bikes and frames here in the NE say between baltimore and CT.?

Mtn Biker Machinist

This is a good place to start

Follow the link to an advanced search for klunker in this forum. Lots of great examples of the original klunkers, some sweet newer ones, extreme modifications, and some great stories. Enjoy, this is where I got my ideas for my klunker project. Have fun and good luck in your search.

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=6481059

frog

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Follow the link to an advanced search for klunker in this forum. Lots of great examples of the original klunkers, some sweet newer ones, extreme modifications, and some great stories. Enjoy, this is where I got my ideas for my klunker project. Have fun and good luck in your search.

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=6481059

frog
    Looks like the link doesn't work anymore.

Mtn Biker Machinist

new link

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=7902652

pics of my modified cruiser

frog
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Lot's of inspiration on Alan Bond's site:

http://www.clunkers.net/

Retro on Steroids
    The question is like asking, "What makes a good hotrod?" Find a frame, any frame, and build a bike. And if you come across a better frame, move the stuff over. Some klunker builders try to recreate the original '70s version, but the parts are hard to come by and it's a lot easier to build a hybrid.

As Mike pointed out, Alan Bonds is the master of the craft, the only link left to the real Old Skool that Alan helped invent. Look upon his site, my son, and get ideas. Alan builds all kinds of bikes, depending on what kind of parts he has been able to round up. His paint jobs are beautiful.

This is a photo I took of one of Alan's bikes on a sunrise ride to the top of Mount Barnaby in Marin County, around 1977. He's had thirty more years since then to perfect his art, as if it wasn't already perfect then.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    The question is like asking, "What makes a good hotrod?" Find a frame, any frame, and build a bike. And if you come across a better frame, move the stuff over. Some klunker builders try to recreate the original '70s version, but the parts are hard to come by and it's a lot easier to build a hybrid.

As Mike pointed out, Alan Bonds is the master of the craft, the only link left to the real Old Skool that Alan helped invent. Look upon his site, my son, and get ideas. Alan builds all kinds of bikes, depending on what kind of parts he has been able to round up. His paint jobs are beautiful.

This is a photo I took of one of Alan's bikes on a sunrise ride to the top of Mount Barnaby in Marin County, around 1977. He's had thirty more years since then to perfect his art, as if it wasn't already perfect then.

Love that picture. Thanks for all you share with us here.

clunker
    CK - Alan built a replica of that blue bike...it's coming out west next week

I'll bring it to the FTF
    ...strictly downhill...

Stokeless Asshat
    Oh my!!!!!!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Eric, you always get the cool stuff.
    I need a bigger allowance, or cooler friends.
    Great Klunkers.
    I really enjoy this topic every time it comes up.
    Thanks for the photo's
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

horn doggie
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb49

I'll bring it to the FTF
    That bike may also make it to the May 3 Toro park DH races, Monterey area (across from Laguna Seca aka Sea Otter Classic venue).

This bike will be there, too.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb49

I'll bring it to the FTF
    does the front mech actually make that shift? looks like a massive difference between chainring sizes?

Stokeless Asshat
    I see you built up the new drums. How are they working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    That bike may also make it to the May 3 Toro park DH races, Monterey area (across from Laguna Seca aka Sea Otter Classic venue).

This bike will be there, too.

Want:

clunker
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    does the front mech actually make that shift? looks like a massive difference between chainring sizes?
    Yes, it IS a big jump - funny that was also my first reaction when I first saw the bike LOL - Alan says it works so nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    (scooterdude) I see you built up the new drums. How are they working for you?
    check out the scooterdude page we put on Alan's site
    ...strictly downhill...

horn doggie
    I see you built up the new drums. How are they working for you?
    Pretty good, I'd say. They're no discs, but have good modulation for the first few seconds of use, before starting to fade at high speeds.

And, good enough to win DH races at Toro against suspended and disc-braked modern bikes, not to mention much younger motors. And fast enough to have made the podium in EVERY Expert class at the April 11th race based on its race time in the Open single-speed class. LOL
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    Pretty good, I'd say. They're no discs, but have good modulation for the first few seconds of use, before starting to fade at high speeds.

And, good enough to win DH races at Toro against suspended and disc-braked modern bikes, not to mention much younger motors. And fast enough to have made the podium in EVERY Expert class at the April 11th race based on its race time in the Open single-speed class. LOL
    Great picture. You're a bad ass!

Stokeless Asshat
    You're serious? Damn! I bow to thee and kiss thy ring.

Jeff

Want:

horn doggie
    You're serious? Damn! I bow to thee and kiss thy ring.

Jeff
    Thanks! And all the time I'm just having fun and uncorking the potential in the bike. I'm as shocked as anyone about its prowess at this venue.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

horn doggie
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2
    Great picture. You're a bad ass!
    I'm humbled.

Just having fun with it!
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Pre-war Fleet straigth-bar

You guys have really given me the bug to build a klunker (at least a poor man's klunker)

I scooped this up on CL yesterday, and found what I think is a Schwinn Sidewinder fork except it's painted blue?

Anybody know what a "Fleet" is? I can't find much with google... maybe a relative of a Schwinn?

mtbr member
    Don't get caught up in the headbadge. You have a prewar Schwinn there. Probably a 37ish Motorbike without looking at the Schwinn catalogs.
    Enjoy the build,
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

Retro on Steroids
    It's a big score and you couldn't do better for a klunker start -- for any amount of money. The same models were sold under a lot of names, and you got the Holy Grail.

Here is Alan Bonds' collection of head badges. Note the similarities.

Pretty sure you didn't stumble across that anywhere near where I live.

How about keeping the original fork and adding fork braces?
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    I blame you and your friends Charlie for liking the Excelsior badge the most. Those are all cool though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    It's a big score and you couldn't do better for a klunker start -- for any amount of money. The same models were sold under a lot of names, and you got the Holy Grail.

Here is Alan Bonds' collection of head badges. Note the similarities.

Pretty sure you didn't stumble across that anywhere near where I live.

How about keeping the original fork and adding fork braces?
    Cool -- thanks for the info. The any "amount of money" comment makes me feel better about spending $80 on my poor man's project.

I bought it on the other side of Michigan from where I live and will pick it up in a week or so. So it sounds like I can track down the year as a Schwinn serial number?

Pardon my ignorance, but is that the original fork? And what is a fork brace?

I know these aren't nearly old enough for a faithful klunker, but these are the cranks I found.

mtbr member
    You better go get that thing today because a half a dozen people have read this post now and are finding the seller to offer twice what you paid......

You are lucky I live in Washington.....

Enjoy your build,
    T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast