Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16

    Is The Klein Pulse 1 and Pulse 2 Sizing the Same?

    Hello,

    I have 95 Klein Pulse frame that I converted into a single speed bike. I love the way it handles and climbs (love the long top tube). My question is: is the Klein/Trek Pulse II the same dimensions (top tube length and seat tube length) as the Pulse 1 frame? Wanting a geared bike but still want the singlespeed too!

    Thanks, Singlespeeder

  2. #2
    Carsten
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeeder
    Hello,

    I have 95 Klein Pulse frame that I converted into a single speed bike. I love the way it handles and climbs (love the long top tube). My question is: is the Klein/Trek Pulse II the same dimensions (top tube length and seat tube length) as the Pulse 1 frame? Wanting a geared bike but still want the singlespeed too!

    Thanks, Singlespeeder
    the 1996 Pulse II is the exact same frame as the 1994/95 Pulse. only the 97/98 Pulse Comp/Race/Pro with external cables have a slightly different geometry mainly to accept a bit longer travel forks. but still the same basic geometry, i.e. relatively long top tube. and infacht they ride just as nice as the Pulse, Pulse 2, Attitude and Adroit.

    Carsten

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Carsten for your thoughtful reply,

    I had found a Pulse II Race and the owner said the it is a medium but the seat tube length is 1 inch longer (17.5 c to c) than my medium Pulse 1 frame set (16.5 c to c). Looks like he has a Large frame?

    Thanks again, this site ROCKS! Singlespeeder

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16

    Here Is A Picture Of The One In Question

    011513010302010407200805027040ff2baedbd18d43004dd6.jpg

    Any idea if it is a large or medium frame?

    Thanks,
    Singlespeeder

  5. #5
    Carsten
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeeder
    Thanks Carsten for your thoughtful reply,

    I had found a Pulse II Race and the owner said the it is a medium but the seat tube length is 1 inch longer (17.5 c to c) than my medium Pulse 1 frame set (16.5 c to c). Looks like he has a Large frame?

    Thanks again, this site ROCKS! Singlespeeder
    hmm, there is no Pulse II Race. it's either Pulse II or Pulse Race. Pulse II would be the same as the Pulse (note that it just says Pulse on the top tube). The Pulse Race may have a slightly different geometry in the same frame size but i doubt that the seat tube would be 1" longer is both are medium frames. anyways, pictures of both bikes would make it much easier to give clear info. does the "Pulse II Race" have internal cables or external cables on the top tube?

    the head tube length is a better indicator for the frame size. if they are the same length (around 4.5" i think for the medium frame) it's the same frame size. the large frame would have an around 5" long head tube. i have both frames in med and large at home. will grab my high precision calipers and measure them tonight

    you can also check the Klein catalogs on www.mtb-kataloge.de The Pulse/PulseII is in the 1994-1996 catalogs and the Pulse Comp/Race/Pro (same frames but different specs) in the 1997 and 1998 catalog.

    Carsten

  6. #6
    Carsten
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeeder
    011513010302010407200805027040ff2baedbd18d43004dd6.jpg

    Any idea if it is a large or medium frame?

    Thanks,
    Singlespeeder
    ah, yep, that's a 97/98 Pulse Race. Size is large (21").

    Carsten

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16
    Fantastic Klein link, very helpfull! To me, there is not very much difference between the medium and large Pulse frame sizing? A few mm difference in top tube length and about an inch in seat tube length. I am 5'10" and by the sizing in the catalogs I could use either frame size, being just less stand over height and a little longer wheelbase (and alot less seat post hanging out). What is your opion?

    Thanks,
    Singlespeeder

  8. #8
    Carsten
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeeder
    Fantastic Klein link, very helpfull! To me, there is not very much difference between the medium and large Pulse frame sizing? A few mm difference in top tube length and about an inch in seat tube length. I am 5'10" and by the sizing in the catalogs I could use either frame size, being just less stand over height and a little longer wheelbase (and alot less seat post hanging out). What is your opion?

    Thanks,
    Singlespeeder
    yes, at 5'10" you could live with both assuming that standover clearance is sufficient on the large frame. the medium frame will handle a bit quicker.



    and if you REALLY like the finish (i.e. paint quality, welds and details) of the pre-Trek Pulse you may be dissapointed by the Pulse Race. the ride is the same but that's it. the frame is Vbrake ready and doesnt have the press-fit bottom bracket which may be an advantage for you though.

    the asking price is okish but not a bargain btw

    Carsten

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •