mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well King ball bearing size

I looked around the other forums with no luck so I thought that someone here has had the same problem I have. I picked up a King no logo headset in real nice condition but the guy blew the lower bearings out and scattered them on the floor when he was removing it so there are none to get a diameter off of. Not really wanting to disassemble the other one to get a dimension, easier to check with the Pros here first. I've seen that the King bearings are .125" but cannot confirm this. Most of the bearings in my not connected to bikes headsets are .156". Anyone have a for sure size or do I send them back to have a new bearing pressed in? I do have the tools and ability to do this myself if that's a concern.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    I don't know if this will help, but the King bearings are designed to have the metal seal removed so you can clean and re-grease them. Details here on opening them up: Headset Tech | Chris King Precision Components

Once you expose the bearings you might be able to figure out the ball diameter. I doubt you can get a caliper or any other measuring device in there, but you can make a visual comparison between them and whatever loose ball bearings you have that you know the size of.

Just an idea, since I looked online and can't find any information about the bearings themselves, just the info in the CK service manuals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would just give them a call. Their customer service is quite helpful.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure there were two different diameter cup (and by extension, bearings) for the King no logo headsets, but to echo what others have said upstream, I'd check with CK.