mtbr member
    May 2008

Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?

Just picked up this ultra rare Ken Beach Gecko "Y File It?" fillet brazed mountain bike. Bet you have not seen too many of these from this Santa Barbara framebuilder. Circa 1985.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He be a moose too.
    Me likes!

Dumpster Diver
    Cool bike, the guys over at RetroBike would love it. '85, really?
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet Brazed Forever
    Just picked up this ultra rare Ken Beach Gecko "Y File It?" fillet brazed mountain bike. Bet you have not seen too many of these from this Santa Barbara framebuilder. Circa 1985.

Wonderful bike also!! I might be tempted to switch saddles around with your Goat though

I recently sold one of his old bar stem combos, heres a pic:

Stem ID quiz.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Cool bike, the guys over at RetroBike would love it. '85, really?
    Haha!

Super cool frame/fork/stem, but the Spinergy and drive train is pretty UKR.

I believe KB posts on this forum every now and again. Hopefully he'll chime in on this bike.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, I did not build this one up. Bought it as is. I have a set of unused original GX-26 Specialized rims and NOS Shimano 7 speed hubs I will likely throw together to put on this. I also may change to thumbshifters. I have to get rid of the crappy seat post. It takes a 26.6.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey Yetified! I used to assemble a lot of team and prototype bikes and built most of the wheels for the Yeti race team. I put together Julie F's championship bike for Yeti. I remember John Parker coming over to our shop in Malibu on quite a few occasions with about 20 rims and hubs, and saying "I need these for the race tomorrow". Of course he would show up at 6pm the night before! I was a lacing fool and pulled some really late nighters getting those wheels built and trued for those guys. I loved it!

Bird watcher
    I got this stem many years ago form a friend who wen to school in Santa Barbara. I had it on my brave racer when I had it. Will only use shimless bars.

I think Ken still build bikes on a one by one basis.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey, I was in school in SB then. I may have sold that to you???? I have not heard that KB is building. Last time I saw him. we were riding in Moab. Soon after that, he moved to Colorado.

Bird watcher
    Did you know Nick Rouhas?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey,, I have a King top race first generation in silver..never used. Nick? Can't remember.

mtbr member
    One of the tings that caught my eye with this bike is the bar. It is a straight titanium tube - no bend to it. Fillet Brazed Forever tells me that this was common on geckos. My WTB bars have a 16-degree bend, so straight bars are really foreign to me.

The other thing is the fillets. They are not filed, but are very clean as is and they certainly work with this paint scheme.
    MB

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro MB

The other thing is the fillets. They are not filed, but are very clean as is and they certainly work with this paint scheme.
    Hence the bike's model name, Y File It. Mountain Goat added unfiled fillets for strength in strategic spots on their frames, though not as smooth as Ken's and probably not meant to be as Jeff Lindsey was more than capable.
    Stuart

Dumpster Diver
    Hey Yetified! I used to assemble a lot of team and prototype bikes and built most of the wheels for the Yeti race team. I put together Julie F's championship bike for Yeti. I remember John Parker coming over to our shop in Malibu on quite a few occasions with about 20 rims and hubs, and saying "I need these for the race tomorrow". Of course he would show up at 6pm the night before! I was a lacing fool and pulled some really late nighters getting those wheels built and trued for those guys. I loved it!
    Very cool. I would like to speak with you at length about that. I like it, you're bringing really great stuff the board right off the bat. No wonder, you're friends with Steve, classy guy.
    Stuart

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Let's talk! I've go a ton of stories about those great days!

Dumpster Diver
    Let's talk! I've go a ton of stories about those great days!
    Can you come up North with Retro MB for a vintage ride?
    Stuart

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Can you come up North with Retro MB for a vintage ride?
    Road trip!
    MB

mtbr member
    Is this you Treavor?

Sweet looking bike.

Yes I'm alive still. Making Samurai carburetor setups so you can run GSXR carbs on a 1.3 Sammy. LOL Full circle. Now into Rock Crawling. http://geckocycles.com/sammy.htm

Knees, shoulders and back are shot, still have the shop and make a bike every now and then if it pays enough. Got to eat. Sammy stuff doesn't pay the bills either but it is fun making things.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by geckocycles
    Is this you Treavor?

Sweet looking bike.

Yes I'm alive still. Making Samurai carburetor setups so you can run GSXR carbs on a 1.3 Sammy. LOL Full circle. Now into Rock Crawling. http://geckocycles.com/sammy.htm

Knees, shoulders and back are shot, still have the shop and make a bike every now and then if it pays enough. Got to eat. Sammy stuff doesn't pay the bills either but it is fun making things.
    KB, You haven't been crawling much if your after pic is still valid No body damage? Here's my 86, still pretty stock but a fun light duty zuk. So far resisted going big with it but you're well on the way. Rockcrawling = how far into these boulders can I get before it breaks?

I live 15 minutes from ZOR, Myron is a unique guy.

Sorry for the hijack (but I do haul bikes with it)
    Last edited by azjeff; 05-30-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    KB, You haven't been crawling much if your after pic is still valid No body damage? Here's my 86, still pretty stock but a fun light duty zuk. So far resisted going big with it but you're well on the way. Rockcrawling = how far into these boulders can I get before it breaks?

I live 15 minutes from ZOR, Myron is a unique guy.

Sorry for the hijack (but I do haul bikes with it)
    I got to go visit MY, talk business. Play. Check out his wife.
    LOL. Go to the ZU and ZUK
    I did rip the fender flare and rear bumper off. You should see the Diff.
    You don't need to trash these to totally blow away any other Heep, Toy or Land Rover. I have used my winch over 40 times in the last 2 months. Never once for myself. GOT BALLS? Then try to follow me! NO HILL TOO TOUGH! Never has been never will be. Damn I wish I could still ride. Tears me up that now I'm back to pushing a gas pedal.

MY will be selling my stuff. I got one of his bumpers.

Now back to bikes.
    ANYTHING DIRT! And I will always be courteous and respectful. I can haul out more trash now! HEHE

Got me all teary eyed. Bikes were my life for a hell of a long time. I'm still Gecko Cycles. It is more than a name. It is who I am.
    Last edited by geckocycles; 05-14-2008 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Ho. as VVA would say.
    I doubt that this is an 85. More like 89- 91. Sorry to chime in. This is one of Velo Pro's 3 frames that he had in the basement of his shop that got lost. It used to have XT components from Haro's. He bought a container of them for the parts. We could get complete XT Haro's cheaper than we could buy the parts alone for even with my OEM status. It was originally a 130 mm spacing.
    It is Imron primer with smoke, splatter and clear. This is a very durable paint job.
    I believe he has more still. When the industry standard went to 135mm and these were already built up, they got lost in the move to the new shop. Not worth rebuilding and have the stays widened and drops realigned. At least in a tight margin business as his. I'm glad to see it make it out of the dungeon.
    These sold for wholesale at the time for $515 plus stem and splatter. No wonder I'm out of business! LOL You worked with me. You remember how much time we spent on these. I could barely build 2 a week. Those were long weeks too. Of course could of partied less while making them too. Well, maybe not. Attention to detail increased but production decreased. LOL Those were the days!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    I got this stem many years ago form a friend who wen to school in Santa Barbara. I had it on my brave racer when I had it. Will only use shimless bars.

I think Ken still build bikes on a one by one basis.
    Back in the day there were no shims. This was the only diameter bar outside of a road bar made. This is a top of the line stem, fully hand filed. Imron. Plum Metallic. Air brushed and no power tools used in the finishing. Like I said, Hand filed as was ALL my frames that were filed.

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    did that bike come from Velo Pro bike shop in SB? i had the chance to buy that frame several times. or maybe it was a frame that looked just like it.

Bird watcher
    All I know is it came from a small frame set that a woman owned and changed the stem length. I've had it since 91.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    did that bike come from Velo Pro bike shop in SB? i had the chance to buy that frame several times. or maybe it was a frame that looked just like it.
    Trevor told me that it did. He got a good deal with all original new parts. Then he took off things and is fixing it up. They were fully equipped with XT wheels and trans, shifters headset.

Lat I talked to the owner of VP he said he found 3 of them in the basement.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    KB, I do remember hanging at the shop and hand filing fillets. It was definitely a labor of love, and you were so into the detail of how smooth the fillet was. I still to this day remember the golden rule of Gecko Cycles....NEVER TOUCH THE TUBE WITH THE FILE!!!!!!!!!!! Good advice, and one of the reasons the bikes are still solid today. Production was very slow on the fully filed bikes, and the obvious reason you came up with the Y File It. It took a long time to take a frame from start to finish. First you had to get the tubing which was always a hassle. Then, you had to cut your mitres and set the jig. Then you had to braze the main triangle etc. Then it seemed like another week before all of the braze ons were installed. Then the ultra time consuming filing. Just getting the flux off sucked!!! It was like melted glass. Then you had to paint the bike. Your paint jobs were so multi stage that it took forever to do them. I think that was your favorite part though. You really loved waving the torch over the paint for the smoke. I remember you were very specific about the technique. Same thing with the splatter. It looks random, but you were very calculated in your "artwork".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    All I know is it came from a small frame set that a woman owned and changed the stem length. I've had it since 91.
    Does Margot rind a bell?
    I remember she had a bike that color. Plum Met. Her future husband worked for me for a couple of weeks then he started building Jesus Christ Bikes in Moab. Anyone ever seen one of those? his name was Warren something.

mtbr member
    KB, I do remember hanging at the shop and hand filing fillets. It was definitely a labor of love, and you were so into the detail of how smooth the fillet was. I still to this day remember the golden rule of Gecko Cycles....NEVER TOUCH THE TUBE WITH THE FILE!!!!!!!!!!! Good advice, and one of the reasons the bikes are still solid today. Production was very slow on the fully filed bikes, and the obvious reason you came up with the Y File It. It took a long time to take a frame from start to finish. First you had to get the tubing which was always a hassle. Then, you had to cut your mitres and set the jig. Then you had to braze the main triangle etc. Then it seemed like another week before all of the braze ons were installed. Then the ultra time consuming filing. Just getting the flux off sucked!!! It was like melted glass. Then you had to paint the bike. Your paint jobs were so multi stage that it took forever to do them. I think that was your favorite part though. You really loved waving the torch over the paint for the smoke. I remember you were very specific about the technique. Same thing with the splatter. It looks random, but you were very calculated in your "artwork".
    It is a wonder I haven't gotten any of those bikes back. Just goes to show you that the unique building techniques I developed paid off. Not in my pocket though but in life time bikes. Now if I could only of got Shimano to stop changing things.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Just picked up a 23" Y file it

New addition
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-img_9875.jpg  

mtbr member
    Was this the one in Boulder with the broken canti stud on frame
    ?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes. I sent you an inquiry about fixing and repainting it too.
    Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    Yes. I sent you an inquiry about fixing and repainting it too.
    Thoughts?
    Don't recall a message. Email me. kb@geckocycles.com
    Not doing paint

VVA

mtbr member

Some People shouldn't work on bikes

At least classics. Just Sayin
    I should of used more standard stops?

Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-ferrelsm.jpg

VVA

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's f-ed up Ken.
    I simply asked you basic questions about your bike and submitted that pic with a disclaimer about using a crown race as a headset spacer.
    I'm sorry that my knowledge of the odd features of your bike isn't as large as yours.

mtbr member
    Maybe I'm missing something. This guy says this is the correct ferrule to use because Fisher did it this way. I can't tell him enough times that is not how I did it anyway, but what do I know?

I don't recall that Gary used them this way.
    Those were used when Campy stops were all we had and we used motorcycle levers like Tommaselie's (sp).
    Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-manti-stop.jpg

Someone PLEASE chime in.

VVA

mtbr member
    That's f-ed up Ken.
    I simply asked you basic questions about your bike and submitted that pic with a disclaimer about using a crown race as a headset spacer.
    I'm sorry that my knowledge of the odd features of your bike isn't as large as yours.
    OH I am am I?

I could care less about your spacer and said nothing about it.

I'm trying to help you and you won't listen.

Trying to put bulge bars in that stem won't work. But what do I know? Just put a different stem on so you can use your bars. I didn't use industry standard bars? Give me a break.

Telling me that I didn't put brazeon cable guides on the BB like everyone else. I had my reasons. Nuff said.

I think I have gone way beyond trying to help you repeating myself and spending hours with you with over 25 emails. Even sent lots of pictures of how things should be and you still don't get it.

My intent was to hopefully have someone else explain how this old bike goes together. You need another teacher.

This is why I only sold to dealers after awhile. My OCD demands I try to help but when is it enough?

VVA

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something. This guy says this is the correct ferrule to use because Fisher did it this way. I can't tell him enough times that is not how I did it anyway, but what do I know?

I don't recall that Gary used them this way.
    Those were used when Campy stops were all we had and we used motorcycle levers like Tommaselie's (sp).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manti stop.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	1168409

Someone PLEASE chime in.
    Ken- I never stated that's the correct cable ferrule. I simply asked if it was the right one because it fits and it was found on an 88 Fisher frame in the same place. I have no idea which ferrule is correct and that's why I asked you about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    OH I am am I?

I could care less about your spacer and said nothing about it.

I'm trying to help you and you won't listen.

Trying to put bulge bars in that stem won't work. But what do I know? Just put a different stem on so you can use your bars. I didn't use industry standard bars? Give me a break.

Telling me that I didn't put brazeon cable guides on the BB like everyone else. I had my reasons. Nuff said.

I think I have gone way beyond trying to help you repeating myself and spending hours with you with over 25 emails. Even sent lots of pictures of how things should be and you still don't get it.

My intent was to hopefully have someone else explain how this old bike goes together. You need another teacher.

This is why I only sold to dealers after awhile. My OCD demands I try to help but when is it enough?
    Won't listen? Would you like me to post all the back and forth emails where I've asked you (the builder) about features found on your frame that I (the pupil/restorer) have never seen? How about where I even offered to pay for your time?
    Instead I get smeared on this forum for asking basic questions about your bike. I never said anything about "industry standard"-that's all you. I never said anything about a "bulge bar" either.
    Instead of being helpful, you've turned into a colossal flake and general dick.
    Your bikes are nice, but you are not.

mtbr member
    Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-9b1ed19b-f636-45a3-a65b-aa2a825a5137.jpeg
    purveyor of leftfield brands

Pablo Picasso: "Good taste is the enemy of creativity"

artistic...
    That's f-ed up Ken.
    I am loking for a shimano crown race! Is it a 26.4? My 105 headset came w/JIS 27.0. Let´s talk.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I am loking for a shimano crown race! Is it a 26.4? My 105 headset came w/JIS 27.0. Let´s talk.
    Reckon he'll swap ya for a headset spacer!

Grumps

velocipede technician
    Grumpy wins
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member

Speaking for cool Ken Beach Bikes

Hey Ken, talk about classic, how about The Brass Barbell?

Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-86-10-mb-slickrock-1.jpg

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=DoubleCentury;13426643]Hey Ken, talk about classic, how about The Brass Barbell?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86 10 MB Slickrock 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	1168529[/QUOTE

I believe that is Todd Cambell on his second Slickrock. The one that RimCyclery screwed up the HT with their ream while I watched in amazement. I spent 2 days trying to fix it in Moab with no resources after the drunk mechanic did his part. Ended up with Coors can shims and JB weld. After the Bike Week I took it back to the shop and repaired it.

Todd C got my very first MTB I made and was instrumental to the whole Slickrock movement. '83? He worked for the FS in Moab and did recon on the trails on his KB then on his Gecko. If anyone is to be thanked or have blame placed on for creating the MTB movement on Slickrock, it would be him.
    Todd C pretty had HUGE influence on the geometry of the KB Slickrock.

He wrote several trail books. Rides to Nowhere was his first. Hands down the best Moab trail guide till his revision.
    He was the founder of Rim Tours, no matter what they now say.

This guy is a fearless animal on the slopes of Slickrock hanging onto nothing with 1000' drops. Unreal!

Looking for his first bike pictures.

VVA

mtbr member
    Todd indeed.

There was also Todd Wagner, for whom the route Wags Way was named.

Wagner on the Swiss Cheese route.

Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-swisscheeseridgeham8a.jpg

mtbr member
    Won't listen? Would you like me to post all the back and forth emails where I've asked you (the builder) about features found on your frame that I (the pupil/restorer) have never seen? How about where I even offered to pay for your time?
    Instead I get smeared on this forum for asking basic questions about your bike. I never said anything about "industry standard"-that's all you. I never said anything about a "bulge bar" either. "The bar center section is at least an eighth inch bigger diameter than the clamp will allow.
    Impossible to fit a standard bar". This quote is after I told you that this is a 7/8" bar. 1/8" larger makes it a Bulge Bar. You didn't say "industry"

Instead of being helpful, you've turned into a colossal flake and general dick. After spending close to 4hrs with you you can say this?
    Your bikes are nice, but you are not.
    I see this will go nowhere. I should of listened to my emails saying beware that you are a Moron. Not my words.
    I would never charge my $65/hr for helping out anyone. That's what a dick I am.

VVA

mtbr member
    To tell you the truth, I hate Slickrock! LOL It scares the piss out of me and I consider myself a Adrenalin junkie.
    The Slickrock was a butitiful filed masterpiece. Only about 10 were made. After the YBike came out with the same dimensions but less bling and close to $1000 cheaper, not many more were built.

VVA

mtbr member
    Any day you get off that rock without getting majorly hurt is a good day.

gobsmacked Moderator
    some amazing pictures. Balls! Thanks DC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I see this will go nowhere. I should of listened to my emails saying beware that you are a Moron. Not my words.
    I would never charge my $65/hr for helping out anyone. That's what a dick I am.
    You're beating a dead horse.
    You should definitely listen to the people who talk shit about me but don't have the balls to say it to my face.
    If I had known you were such a flake, I'd have never bothered to contact you regarding your bike.
    As far as paying for your time, you said you wasted 3 hours on me and my questions.
    Do you want to be paid or do you want to continue to whine about it?

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    To tell you the truth, I hate Slickrock! LOL It scares the piss out of me and I consider myself a Adrenalin junkie.
    The Slickrock was a butitiful filed masterpiece. Only about 10 were made. After the YBike came out with the same dimensions but less bling and close to $1000 cheaper, not many more were built.
    Ok, so now I have to upgrade my wishlist from an incredibly cool Y bike to an ever cooler and rarer Slickrock....great, lol.

10 made....sounds like a serious hunt is in order.

Just curious Ken, how many of the 10 were in the 18" range?

Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Moron built

Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-img_9945.jpg
    I'm almost done with it.
    It's a quirkily made frame with unusual features, which adds some appeal, but also made it hard to source parts for. No insult intended.
    I'm using the CBR stem because finding a straight steel handlebar is proving difficult, but there are motorcycle handlebars available. I might go that route and then I can run the beautiful stem.
    The galactic paint hides the hundreds of chips rather well and the lack of decals gives it the "just an old blue bike" look. I think the black parts complement it nicely and since the exact year of manufacturing is unknown, I feel the parts mix is appropriate for a bike of the era that was modified with parts of the same period.
    I used all correct cables for an early xt build, but finding a handful of correct cable guides also proving to be difficult.
    My one complaint about the frame is that it relies on a crappy plastic cable guide that is held into place by friction. Maybe this was the bare bones model and brazed on BB guides were an option on the nicer models.
    I heard it was to prevent them from being smashed on rocks, but I thought that the chainrings 'protected' the BB?
    This frame has 3 bottle bosses and a portage strap mount too.
    Also has adjustable dropout screws.
    The stays are very wide and require a super long spindle, but being so wide, I think I could run a fat tubeless tire on the rear.

artistic...
    NIce!!!!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Definitely a good looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-img_9947.jpgKen Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-img_9942.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?-img_9950.jpg