Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Ken Beach Gecko Vintage Seen One?

Just picked up this ultra rare Ken Beach Gecko "Y File It?" fillet brazed mountain bike. Bet you have not seen too many of these from this Santa Barbara framebuilder. Circa 1985.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He be a moose too.
    Me likes!
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

Dumpster Diver
    Cool bike, the guys over at RetroBike would love it. '85, really?
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet Brazed Forever
    Just picked up this ultra rare Ken Beach Gecko "Y File It?" fillet brazed mountain bike. Bet you have not seen too many of these from this Santa Barbara framebuilder. Circa 1985.

Wonderful bike also!! I might be tempted to switch saddles around with your Goat though

I recently sold one of his old bar stem combos, heres a pic:

Stem ID quiz.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Cool bike, the guys over at RetroBike would love it. '85, really?
    Haha!

Super cool frame/fork/stem, but the Spinergy and drive train is pretty UKR.

I believe KB posts on this forum every now and again. Hopefully he'll chime in on this bike.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well, I did not build this one up. Bought it as is. I have a set of unused original GX-26 Specialized rims and NOS Shimano 7 speed hubs I will likely throw together to put on this. I also may change to thumbshifters. I have to get rid of the crappy seat post. It takes a 26.6.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey Yetified! I used to assemble a lot of team and prototype bikes and built most of the wheels for the Yeti race team. I put together Julie F's championship bike for Yeti. I remember John Parker coming over to our shop in Malibu on quite a few occasions with about 20 rims and hubs, and saying "I need these for the race tomorrow". Of course he would show up at 6pm the night before! I was a lacing fool and pulled some really late nighters getting those wheels built and trued for those guys. I loved it!

Bird watcher
    I got this stem many years ago form a friend who wen to school in Santa Barbara. I had it on my brave racer when I had it. Will only use shimless bars.

I think Ken still build bikes on a one by one basis.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey, I was in school in SB then. I may have sold that to you???? I have not heard that KB is building. Last time I saw him. we were riding in Moab. Soon after that, he moved to Colorado.

Bird watcher
    Did you know Nick Rouhas?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey,, I have a King top race first generation in silver..never used. Nick? Can't remember.

mtbr member
    One of the tings that caught my eye with this bike is the bar. It is a straight titanium tube - no bend to it. Fillet Brazed Forever tells me that this was common on geckos. My WTB bars have a 16-degree bend, so straight bars are really foreign to me.

The other thing is the fillets. They are not filed, but are very clean as is and they certainly work with this paint scheme.
    MB

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro MB

The other thing is the fillets. They are not filed, but are very clean as is and they certainly work with this paint scheme.
    Hence the bike's model name, Y File It. Mountain Goat added unfiled fillets for strength in strategic spots on their frames, though not as smooth as Ken's and probably not meant to be as Jeff Lindsey was more than capable.
    Stuart

Dumpster Diver
    Hey Yetified! I used to assemble a lot of team and prototype bikes and built most of the wheels for the Yeti race team. I put together Julie F's championship bike for Yeti. I remember John Parker coming over to our shop in Malibu on quite a few occasions with about 20 rims and hubs, and saying "I need these for the race tomorrow". Of course he would show up at 6pm the night before! I was a lacing fool and pulled some really late nighters getting those wheels built and trued for those guys. I loved it!
    Very cool. I would like to speak with you at length about that. I like it, you're bringing really great stuff the board right off the bat. No wonder, you're friends with Steve, classy guy.
    Stuart

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Let's talk! I've go a ton of stories about those great days!

Dumpster Diver
    Let's talk! I've go a ton of stories about those great days!
    Can you come up North with Retro MB for a vintage ride?
    Stuart

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Can you come up North with Retro MB for a vintage ride?
    Road trip!
    MB

mtbr member
    Is this you Treavor?

Sweet looking bike.

Yes I'm alive still. Making Samurai carburetor setups so you can run GSXR carbs on a 1.3 Sammy. LOL Full circle. Now into Rock Crawling. http://geckocycles.com/sammy.htm

Knees, shoulders and back are shot, still have the shop and make a bike every now and then if it pays enough. Got to eat. Sammy stuff doesn't pay the bills either but it is fun making things.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by geckocycles
    Is this you Treavor?

Sweet looking bike.

Yes I'm alive still. Making Samurai carburetor setups so you can run GSXR carbs on a 1.3 Sammy. LOL Full circle. Now into Rock Crawling. http://geckocycles.com/sammy.htm

Knees, shoulders and back are shot, still have the shop and make a bike every now and then if it pays enough. Got to eat. Sammy stuff doesn't pay the bills either but it is fun making things.
    KB, You haven't been crawling much if your after pic is still valid No body damage? Here's my 86, still pretty stock but a fun light duty zuk. So far resisted going big with it but you're well on the way. Rockcrawling = how far into these boulders can I get before it breaks?

I live 15 minutes from ZOR, Myron is a unique guy.

Sorry for the hijack (but I do haul bikes with it)
    Last edited by azjeff; 05-30-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    something's missing..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    KB, You haven't been crawling much if your after pic is still valid No body damage? Here's my 86, still pretty stock but a fun light duty zuk. So far resisted going big with it but you're well on the way. Rockcrawling = how far into these boulders can I get before it breaks?

I live 15 minutes from ZOR, Myron is a unique guy.

Sorry for the hijack (but I do haul bikes with it)
    I got to go visit MY, talk business. Play. Check out his wife.
    LOL. Go to the ZU and ZUK
    I did rip the fender flare and rear bumper off. You should see the Diff.
    You don't need to trash these to totally blow away any other Heep, Toy or Land Rover. I have used my winch over 40 times in the last 2 months. Never once for myself. GOT BALLS? Then try to follow me! NO HILL TOO TOUGH! Never has been never will be. Damn I wish I could still ride. Tears me up that now I'm back to pushing a gas pedal.

MY will be selling my stuff. I got one of his bumpers.

Now back to bikes.
    ANYTHING DIRT! And I will always be courteous and respectful. I can haul out more trash now! HEHE

Got me all teary eyed. Bikes were my life for a hell of a long time. I'm still Gecko Cycles. It is more than a name. It is who I am.
    Last edited by geckocycles; 05-14-2008 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Ho. as VVA would say.
    I doubt that this is an 85. More like 89- 91. Sorry to chime in. This is one of Velo Pro's 3 frames that he had in the basement of his shop that got lost. It used to have XT components from Haro's. He bought a container of them for the parts. We could get complete XT Haro's cheaper than we could buy the parts alone for even with my OEM status. It was originally a 130 mm spacing.
    It is Imron primer with smoke, splatter and clear. This is a very durable paint job.
    I believe he has more still. When the industry standard went to 135mm and these were already built up, they got lost in the move to the new shop. Not worth rebuilding and have the stays widened and drops realigned. At least in a tight margin business as his. I'm glad to see it make it out of the dungeon.
    These sold for wholesale at the time for $515 plus stem and splatter. No wonder I'm out of business! LOL You worked with me. You remember how much time we spent on these. I could barely build 2 a week. Those were long weeks too. Of course could of partied less while making them too. Well, maybe not. Attention to detail increased but production decreased. LOL Those were the days!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    I got this stem many years ago form a friend who wen to school in Santa Barbara. I had it on my brave racer when I had it. Will only use shimless bars.

I think Ken still build bikes on a one by one basis.
    Back in the day there were no shims. This was the only diameter bar outside of a road bar made. This is a top of the line stem, fully hand filed. Imron. Plum Metallic. Air brushed and no power tools used in the finishing. Like I said, Hand filed as was ALL my frames that were filed.

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    did that bike come from Velo Pro bike shop in SB? i had the chance to buy that frame several times. or maybe it was a frame that looked just like it.

Bird watcher
    All I know is it came from a small frame set that a woman owned and changed the stem length. I've had it since 91.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    did that bike come from Velo Pro bike shop in SB? i had the chance to buy that frame several times. or maybe it was a frame that looked just like it.
    Trevor told me that it did. He got a good deal with all original new parts. Then he took off things and is fixing it up. They were fully equipped with XT wheels and trans, shifters headset.

Lat I talked to the owner of VP he said he found 3 of them in the basement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast