Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Just bought a vintage peugeot ventoux

Ok, it's got a reynolds 501 frame and fork, all the components are white! Stronglight crank is white, Huret derailleurs etc etc.

Anyways, it has a few places where the paint got scratched. What's the safest way to do touch ups?

Also, I bought it off ebay, but I live close to the guy, so I'm just gonna drive and pick it up. I paid $180 for it, is that pretty good?
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend.

mtbr member
    Might get more info here: http://www.roadbikereview.com/

VRC Illuminati
    What Sho said.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    The responses to my question were just as equally useless as the link you both endorsed.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by roknroll1982
    The responses to my question were just as equally useless as the link you both endorsed.

Your question is just as equally misplaced as the money you spent on that bike.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Your question is just as equally misplaced as the money you spent on that bike.
    Sounds like I got under your skin a little, unfortunately you came nowhere near to getting under mine.

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    I've always been partial to Rock and Roll...... "rok" on !
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

VRC Illuminati
    Sounds like I got under your skin a little, unfortunately you came nowhere near to getting under mine.

You think thats what that was huh?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    ok ok...enough bickering...the point is, I was just looking for some advice, and instead I got a referral to some useless website that didn't help at all.

How was the question misplaced though? This IS the retro/classic part of the forum, right?

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    ok ok...enough bickering...the point is, I was just looking for some advice, and instead I got a referral to some useless website that didn't help at all.

How was the question misplaced though? This IS the retro/classic part of the forum, right?
    If it's a mountain bike you are in the right place...MTBR= Mountain Bike Review...if it's a road bike ....wrong place, try roadbikereview.com ( right address?, I'm not sure)
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4bikes
    If it's a mountain bike you are in the right place...MTBR= Mountain Bike Review...if it's a road bike ....wrong place, try roadbikereview.com ( right address?, I'm not sure)
    Well, I guess it has the capacity to take really skinny knobby tires lol...Cyclocross? I COULD take it out on some trail...I mean, it's all relative, right?

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    Ok, it's got a reynolds 501 frame and fork, all the components are white! Stronglight crank is white, Huret derailleurs etc etc.

Anyways, it has a few places where the paint got scratched. What's the safest way to do touch ups?

Also, I bought it off ebay, but I live close to the guy, so I'm just gonna drive and pick it up. I paid $180 for it, is that pretty good?
    Fingernail polish or modelers paint both work well for small touchups.

As far as price, not a clue, ask me about a mountain bike and I might be able to help..sorry.

velocipede technician
    looking for 20-21" P team

VRC Illuminati

Aye.

Misplaced because you're looking for info for an old road bike. Being a vintage mtb forum, our specialty are mountain bikes. Granted there is a lot of cross over between disciplines...but your chances of finding the info you're looking for here is not as good.

The reason for the Road Bike Review link (a sister site to this one) is that they also have a 'vintage classic' forum where the regulars there are hip to all things vintage road bike.
    I'd be surprised if they could provide you with more than enough info for you.

If someone here has the info for you on this bike, I'm sure they'll chime in...but if not, here is the specific link to the Vintage forum on RBR.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

(thats all we were gettin' at, no harm intended. )
    -eric-

mtbr member
    alright fellas, group hugz.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=hollister]heads up
    http://cgi.ebay.com/58-BICYCLES-BULK...QQcmdZViewItem

not a decent bike in the lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    wow... that ebay listing is shitty bike after shitty bike after shitty bike, and they are shitty bikes in shitty condition

It might be worth something if they were in working order..

He be a moose too.
    [quote=roknroll1982]
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister

Where are you....

[SIZE=7]Stan![/SIZE]
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    that guy has more crappy bikes than I do I should sue for attempted identity theft...

pinguwin...that was rude...it hurt my feelings....NOT

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    shitty bike after shitty bike after shitty bike
    Hey there is one good one in there. I was scanning down the page and saw a Klein and scrolled back up but couldn't find it. Finally noticed it again. Take a look at the pics. It's a Klein, says it right there. Not unlike that Klein Pulse that kept on showing up on ebay, you know.

Pinguwin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    Hey there is one good one in there. I was scanning down the page and saw a Klein and scrolled back up but couldn't find it. Finally noticed it again. Take a look at the pics. It's a Klein, says it right there. Not unlike that Klein Pulse that kept on showing up on ebay, you know.

Pinguwin
    so if I put a klein sticker on my crappy old bmx it makes it a bonafide klein LOL

He be a moose too.
    it makes it a bonafide klein LOL
    It does on ebay.

It's a joke about a guy who took what is believed to be a Jamis and called it a Klein Pulse. He was dumb enough to put it up for auction several times when it didn't reach reserve, he should have just taken the money and ran. Having been notified by multiple people that it wasn't even an aluminum frame, but steel bike and some people warned bidders away, he insisted it was a Klein. We weren't sure at first if it was a fraud or ignorance.

The second time it came up you could be assured it was a fraud because he put a "Klein Pulse" sticker on it and not even a good one, just something he cobbled together. At least the bike pictured above has a genuine sticker from Klein. The bike was up for sale 3-4 times and became a running joke and he might have even made reference to VRC in one of his auctions. What was sad is that had the guy just put the bike up as a Jamis, he probably would have made more money.

There were several threads in both VRC & Trek/Klein. Here is a quick one that I could find:

Strangest Klein Pulse I've Seen

Pinguwin
    Looking for:

locked - time out
    Sep 2005

This is the bike you bought? http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-Peugeot-Ven...QQcmdZViewItem I have one I picked up off the street corner on or local dumpster diving day (cleanup day). That doesn't hardly have a scratch on it. I bet it was only ridden a couple of times. Mine was free. But that's not what you wanted to hear. Like Stan said model paint works ok for small touch ups.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XR4TI
    This is the bike you bought? http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-Peugeot-Ven...QQcmdZViewItem I have one I picked up off the street corner on or local dumpster diving day (cleanup day). That doesn't hardly have a scratch on it. I bet it was only ridden a couple of times. Mine was free. But that's not what you wanted to hear. Like Stan said model paint works ok for small touch ups.
    Yup, that's the one...definitely not what I wanted to hear, btw. LOL. Oh well, I can probably flip it on ebay for a similar price.

hot T

the new Gilbert Grape
    Yup, that's the one...definitely not what I wanted to hear, btw. LOL. Oh well, I can probably flip it on ebay for a similar price.

hot T
    It's not a bad bike buy any means. If you're looking for a commuter bike, it should work great. You probably paid a little on the high side, but nothing wayyy out of line. The tubeset looks like full Reynolds 501, which is not top of the line but decent. From the decals I'd guess it's an '86 or '87.

I commute on a '80 Peugeot road and really like he way that it rides. Mine is lugged instaed of TIGed, and I'm not sure if they share the same geometry.

If you like the way that it rides, and it sees miles, then you did okay. It's a whole lot nicer than what $180 will get you with a brand new bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast