PMK
    mtbr member

Judy Sl and Specialized Carbon FS Ti / First Time Apart

While cleaning the garage I took a side track and did some suspension work.

For many years I have had a Judy SL (yellow with 63mm travel) hanging on the pegboard by it Answer ATAC stem. A long time back, I somehow wound up with it and planned to install it on my Alpinestars urban bike. This is a later Alpinestars with a Chromoly frame, not the elevated chainstay version. For whatever reasons, it never got installed.

Today I decided to see if the fork was trashed inside from corrosion. Took it apart and found the tubes are spotless, the lowers inside look as if it was never ridden. Even the damper cartridge was almost full. Regardless, pulled it apart, cleaned and serviced the damper, same for the upper and lowers. This thing had never been apart before and was in great condition. The obvious failed portion was two elastomers had crumbled.

Prior to working on the Judy, I had another vintage fork to work on. This one was recently acquired. A Specialized Carbon FS Ti. Like the Judy, I was expecting the worse. This fork too had never been apart. The carbon lowers have one cosmetic scratch that could buff out, the upper tubes are flawless. The issue with this fork is someone has swapped out the ti hardware for a mix of steel and stainless. Also, when removing the lower headset race, they put a couple of nicks in the crown.

So this morning was like opening a time capsule of sorts...two never before apart vintage RockShox.

Guess I need to get off my fanny and install these on something and ride them into their graves.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    what are you planning on doin...?

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    If the ATAC is yellow, you should send it my way for safe keeping...wouldn't want it cluttering up your garage for another 10 years

Steve

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudymexico View Post
    what are you planning on doin...?
    Reality says the Judy may hang in the garage for another 10 years, I would like to find a crown for the Specialized fork and install it on the Alpinestars urban / road bike.

Total waste of two forks, but whatever.

PK

mtbr member
    You can send the forks my way...

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    If the ATAC is yellow, you should send it my way for safe keeping...wouldn't want it cluttering up your garage for another 10 years

Steve
    Steve
    It's polished with decals. Sorry.

It seems my laziness, and clutter, will possibly end up on "American Pickers" someday.

PK

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

It seems my laziness, and clutter, will possibly end up on "American Pickers" someday.

PK

Haha...right there with you PK. My wife puts that damn Hoarders show on every chance she gets jus to rub it in

Steve

PMK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, if the Specialized fork does make it onto a headtube, the chosen bike has cantilevers on it.

The fork has the bridge, but the cable stop is missing. No big deal with V brakes. Anyone have a photo of this fork, better yet anyone have a lead on what I believe is a spool shaped part, secured with one bolt?

PK