Thread: jp morgen?

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009

jp morgen?

Had a customer bring this in, ever seen one before? The front end is amazing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jp morgen?-p1010193.jpg  

jp morgen?-p1010197.jpg  

jp morgen?-p1010198.jpg  

jp morgen?-p1010196.jpg  

jp morgen?-p1010199.jpg  

mtbr member
    I remember seeing the prototype at Laguna Seca back around 1997 or so...

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    The front end slides down into the head tube. It's a pedal robbin' bobbin' bandit for sure.

mtbr member
    A member here has a nice one, I remember seeing a few hanging up in a small shop in SF back in 94(ish). Cool looking stuff, no idea how they ride though.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I'm hoping a good friend of mine here shows his off soon.

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    I have to find a close match or match for the rear wheel, then I'm going to get it together and we'll see how she rides.

sftrydr

JP Frankenstem-JP @ Dgo Worlds

Pic is in Durango,1990 worlds, Don Davis(in Bell helmet)+ol fatso here, just over Don's right shoulder is JP being interviewed by the press.He placed real high on one of his contraptions,if I remember right...
    Frankentem is a recent acquision of mine, destined for my road bike, for fall dirt rides into the netherlands over here coastal way.

No thread hijack intended,just some JP Lore from Yore to share.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jp morgen?-2.jpg  

jp morgen?-img_6480.jpg  

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    No, thats cool. I'd like to know more.

mtbr member
    I love JP's work even though I think it's weird stuff. It's so out of the box.

Great pic, Sully. Brings back memories of a couple fierce competitors in the junior class on Volz Brothers that I used to do battle with at all the big races. JP was a fast rider!

Here are some pics of mine. I've been meaning to put up some pics so here they are:

http://fiveandaquarter.blogspot.com/...irca-1995.html
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 07-10-2011 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm still riding one of his "newer" stems, that one in the pic, I believe was his first generation model. He is quite the "out-of-the-box" designer, I like that!

sftrydr
    Looking at my 35+ Veterans results sheet from 90 Worlds DH in Durango, ,JP won the bronze on his own bike, Jeff Enos won the gold for the US,he was on a Softride Beam Bike.
    Old history, which nobody much cares about today....but those of us that were there...seems like just a fortnight ago...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    Looking at my 35+ Veterans results sheet from 90 Worlds DH in Durango, ,JP won the bronze on his own bike, Jeff Enos won the gold for the US,he was on a Softride Beam Bike.
    Old history, which nobody much cares about today....but those of us that were there...seems like just a fortnight ago...
    I Care....
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Nice Sully. I raced there too. What a race! Got any more pics? I didn't know the beam bikes existed at that time. I wonder what JP's bike looked like in 1990.

On a semi-related note and in staying with the hi jack, it's kinda sad that a good portion of the pre-internet race results from a lot of those memorable old races seemed to have vanished.

sftrydr
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Nice Sully. I raced there too. What a race! Got any more pics? I didn't know the beam bikes existed at that time. I wonder what JP's bike looked like in 1990.

On a semi-related note and in staying with the hi jack, it's kinda sad that a good portion of the pre-internet race results from a lot of those memorable old races seemed to have vanished.
    Yes, it was a whopper of an event....Ed Zink, for all his grumpiness, is 1 helluva promoter.
    I have photo's, just buried amongst the boxes...mebbe someday I'll dig e'm out+btchslap this damned scanner thing into some obedient phase...

Yep, the Beam bikes were actually held in some level of respect back then(by some folks, JP included)..
    I had the advantage of dwelling in Bellingham,where the Allsop's designed+implemented the stem+beam bikes.
    Raced the 1st beam prototype at an obscure MB race in Glacier, Wa...(the Sasquatch Classic) in late 89,early 90...
    Had the beam retrofit on my Super Comp for the CC event....the Allsop engineers were sweating bullets in hopes that my top tube didn't fail due to the retrofit...it didn't, and I full on dug the function(bike frame rigid-back isolated from high freq chattering aspect)

The lost race results is something that a few of us geezers have spoken of...Once usa cycling took over norba, the chasm between promoters(who have the results from obscure events) and sanctioning body(usa cycling,who don't have any interest in anything other than high profile awarded events) grew even wider.
    The further evolution(de-evolution) of sukking up to UCI for olympic event participation of mt bikes, has plummeted (imho) what was once a bull goose determined inclusive endeavor(venues w 32 different age-ability graded race options) at national caliber competitive events into a tour de fukyou that showcases the high performers+shtcans most others.

Back to JP:

May have some pics of JP in flight on his bike at Purgatory...had my 35mm camera w me on the ski lift during practice runs....

mtbr member
    Yes, it was a whopper of an event....Ed Zink, for all his grumpiness, is 1 helluva promoter.
    I have photo's, just buried amongst the boxes...mebbe someday I'll dig e'm out+btchslap this damned scanner thing into some obedient phase...

Yep, the Beam bikes were actually held in some level of respect back then(by some folks, JP included)..
    I had the advantage of dwelling in Bellingham,where the Allsop's designed+implemented the stem+beam bikes.
    Raced the 1st beam prototype at an obscure MB race in Glacier, Wa...(the Sasquatch Classic) in late 89,early 90...
    Had the beam retrofit on my Super Comp for the CC event....the Allsop engineers were sweating bullets in hopes that my top tube didn't fail due to the retrofit...it didn't, and I full on dug the function(bike frame rigid-back isolated from high freq chattering aspect)

The lost race results is something that a few of us geezers have spoken of...Once usa cycling took over norba, the chasm between promoters(who have the results from obscure events) and sanctioning body(usa cycling,who don't have any interest in anything other than high profile awarded events) grew even wider.
    The further evolution(de-evolution) of sukking up to UCI for olympic event participation of mt bikes, has plummeted (imho) what was once a bull goose determined inclusive endeavor(venues w 32 different age-ability graded race options) at national caliber competitive events into a tour de fukyou that showcases the high performers+shtcans most others.

Back to JP:

May have some pics of JP in flight on his bike at Purgatory...had my 35mm camera w me on the ski lift during practice runs....

Would love to see more pics. I remember JP made a very unique aluminum hardtail in the late 80s. Wonder if he was on that still in '90. He always had something interesting he was using.

Did JP have anything to do with the design or licensing of the Allsop stem or beam? His stem was a really cool piece (although I don't like their action, personally).

mtbr member
    IIRC he licensed the design from Alsop

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    Got the thing together and rode it around the shop, it's not so bad. I thought it would be like riding a Hippity Hop with pedals but no, it's cruised nicely. If it were mine, I'd have to take it out on the the dirt at least once.

banned
    jp morgen?-hydo-stem.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hydo stem.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	625763
    Such a nice piece. It'd probably be a great tandem stem, since there's no bunnyhopping going on.

What's with the stem underneath?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    What's with the stem underneath?
    RBUK approved riser/spacer

horn doggie
    I have a few of his bits. I''ve also been in his shop. He's a talented fabricator, his primary business being restoration and replication of vintage racing motorcycles. He makes his parts from scratch, even down to complete frames/panels from photos and blue prints, engine cases, and multi-cone expansion chambers.

Here's what I have:.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jp morgen?-nixon-0022.jpg  

jp morgen?-nixon-005.jpg  

Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Hergules
    Feb 2010

Yes... it's a JP Morgen

Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post
    Had a customer bring this in, ever seen one before? The front end is amazing!
    Yes... it's a JP Morgen circa 1993/94. The owner of this bike just donated it to the U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame in Davis, CA. It will be going on display this Saturday, Nov 5th 1-3pm at the HOF (303 3rd St, Davis, CA) along with about 2 dozen other vintage mountain bikes including Breezer #1. Joe Breeze, Jacquie Phelan, Steve Potts, Gary Fisher are all supposed to be around that day. Come by the Hall of Fame if you're in NorCal.... Here's a partial list of what will be on display:

• 1977 Breezer #1
    • 1981 Stumpjumper
    • 1980 Chris King Cielo. Only 4 made
    • 1985 Cook Bros. Only 5 made
    • 1932 Schwinn Excelsior Klunker
    • 1941 Schwinn (klunkerized 1973)
    • 1981/82 Specialized Stumpjumper
    • 1982 Breezer
    • 1982 Lighthouse
    • 1983 Mantis Sherpa
    • 1983 Mountain Goat Deluxe.
    • 1982 Motocruiser prototype. The first Motocruiser ever made. 3 years later became Yeti.
    • 1988 Steve Potts Custom
    • 1983 Ritchey Mountain bike
    • 1984 Salsa Scaboni. 36th one made.
    • 1979 Victor Vicente of America Topanga. 2nd one ever made.
    • 1993 WTB Phoenix
    • 1991 Yeti Ultimate
    • 1987 Fat Chance.
    • 1991 Merlin
    • 1993 Boulder Bicycles Defiant XC

mtbr member
    May 2016

Good job! I found Bob

Though a few years have gone by since someone last posted to this thread, I'm joining in because I am the owner of this JP Bob posted by rev106. I built up this JP Bob frame when I was the owner of Fresh Air Bicycles in SF. It was one of 2 bicycles stolen from my shop in this particular late-90's break-in. It has a serial number and distinctive dent/scratch (made by a UCI World downhill champion to be). I haven't found my receipt or police report yet; I may have lost them when I sold my shop in 2012.

I know this is my bike because JP built only five of these and only one was all red.

I knew this bike could not hide from me forever.

Howell Jenkins

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    Well that is what he said, as you can see it was long ago and who knows where it went after I did some work to it. The guy who brought it in was a regular of mine, not someone that I would peg as a bike thief just so you know, something I deal with a lot and can spot one a mile away . He has not been back for years if he does come back perhaps I can see if he still has the bike.