Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Joe Kid on a Stingray

Not very mountain bike oriented, but still bikes in the dirt and vintage, retro and classic. Check out the trailer for a new movie on the history of BMX. Joe Kid on a Stingray Scroll down to view/download the movie trailer. I don't know about you, but the music in the trailer is really cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Not very mountain bike oriented, but still bikes in the dirt and vintage, retro and classic. Check out the trailer for a new movie on the history of BMX. Joe Kid on a Stingray Scroll down to view/download the movie trailer. I don't know about you, but the music in the trailer is really cool.
    Wow, thats pretty cool. Slightly before my time but brings back tons of memories! I saw some references to that company down there in Vista.

Man those old BMX tracks were so much cooler. Its kinda like comparing Motocross to Supercross. Its funny how BMX tracks and DH courses have changed to be more unnatural and man made. Back then a DH race was like railing your favorite trail. Now its like doing downhill trials at 10 miles an hour with 10" of travel. It was more real conditions back then in BMX and DH. Thanks for sharing that! Not very mtbish but very cool.

~~~~~~~~
    Thanks mike that looks great.

Noticed some clips from the opening scene of On Any Sunday, I still love watching that, even though I've never been a dirt biker.

I was a product of the stingray era, and alot of our inspiration came from Evel Knievel. We built jumps and hit anything and everything that already looked like one. Dirt trails were abundant and an integral part of routes everywhere we went.

Regretfully I missed the BMX era somehow, probably a combination of factors, including getting into skateboarding during the initial urethane wheel boom, and somehow thinking that 10 speed road bikes were the way to go, combined with location and timing.

I do have one faint memory though from long before I ever saw a BMX bike and that was seeing a dirt bike and thinking those bars would be cool on my stingray to replace the ape hangers.

It's too bad since at that age I was very involved in competetive sports, skating, skiing, soccer, etc. and BMX racing would have fit in nicely.

This is most certainly of MTB significance and inspiration, and I am truly enjoying this current wave of retro revivalism.

thanks again,
    Eric, 42 years old but the brain is still stuck at 12.
    Last edited by airwreck; 02-18-2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: I was pretty close with the spelling

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Thanks mike that looks great.

Noticed some clips from the opening scene of On Any Sunday, I still love watching that, even though I've never been a dirt biker.

I was a product of the stingray era, and alot of our inspiration came from Evel Keneivel (sp?). We built jumps and hit anything and everything that already looked like one. Dirt trails were abundant and an integral part of routes everywhere we went.

Regretfully I missed the BMX era somehow, probably a combination of factors, including getting into skateboarding during the initial urethane wheel boom, and somehow thinking that 10 speed road bikes were the way to go, combined with location and timing.

I do have one faint memory though from long before I ever saw a BMX bike and that was seeing a dirt bike and thinking those bars would be cool on my stingray to replace the ape hangers.

It's too bad since at that age I was very involved in competetive sports, skating, skiing, soccer, etc. and BMX racing would have fit in nicely.

This is most certainly of MTB significance and inspiration, and I am truly enjoying this current wave of retro revivalism.

thanks again,
    Eric, 42 years old but the brain is still stuck at 12.

Man, that could be as you described yourself. But I did get into skateboarding a bit and still have my board (Bahne w/ Cadillac trucks and a mix of Power Paw and Stoker wheels with ball bearings) - right before I found out that a road bike was really fast.
    Mike, 42 years old and probably sharing Eric's 12 year old brain.

resident crackpot
    Just watched the trailer. My hair is standing on end everywhere! Wow, did that take me way back! My first race was actually on an MX track. I rode my Sting-Ray without the banana seat, and with bars that had a more traditional BMX styling. Traditional, HA. I should have said new school. That would have been somewhere near '75 or so. Pretty early for Iowa BMX. I know it was the first race of it's kind in the area, might even have been the first in the state. I am going to dig around at my Mom's house and find some of those pics and some more info. If I remember correctly, I won that race. I will post back on that. Maybe I can find a scanner and post some very old race pics.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    I was a product of the stingray era, and alot of our inspiration came from Evel Keneivel (sp?).
    I'm about the same age, and much of the stupid things that I did on a bike was a result of Evil too. My bike spent as much time jumping off of ramps as it did with tires on the ground. And like you the draw of the "10-speed" took me away from anything BMX-like. I still rode my 10-speed Varsity on trails and off of ramps, but it was not quite the same.

Thanks for the link Mike!!!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.