Thread: jc higgins bike

mtbr member

jc higgins bike

i picked up this jc higgins skiptooth bike and im not real sure what i want to do with it any ideas? klunker maybe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jc higgins bike-00303_6jrvhlgx6gz_600x450.jpeg  

surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    How about leaving it in its original condition, as a view into the past? Not every old cruser needs to be retrofitted for modern use.
    Or sell it to someone who will preserve it. There are plenty of bikes you could convert to modern use that are not as complete, and cool as that Higgins.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    My take? Bikes like that are a dime a dozen to be honest. Nothing rare, unusual or collectible about them to make it worth preserving as is, or lovingly restoring to former glory.

I'd say better saddle, bars that allow a more "normal" riding position, run through it and grease all the bearings up, and ride it a while. It'll come to you whether you want to go nuts with funky parts, or leave it a decent running beer grabber.

Side note, your front fender is backwards....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    The front Fender was the first thing I Noticed also in the pic but when I picked it up it was actually on the right way. I actually rode it last night around the block it definitely needs some adjustments and a little grease here and there. This is my first project bike so I'll have to figure it out as I go just not sure which way to go yet.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Side note, your front fender is backwards....
    Incorrect. That's called a "courtesy fender". The idea was that you sprayed less water on other cyclists than you would with a regular fender.

Seriously.

Grumps

mtbr member
    deleted
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    How about leaving it in its original condition, as a view into the past? Not every old cruser needs to be retrofitted for modern use.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ this

My take? Bikes like that are a dime a dozen to be honest. Nothing rare, unusual or collectible about them to make it worth preserving as is, or lovingly restoring to former glory.
    Yet. My '70 BMW coupe is undeniably a classic, 1 of 100,000. My '95 Prelude is also 1 of 100,000 but won't be a "rarity" until more of its siblings are chopped and crushed. Is this bike really a dime a dozen, or is it more like a dime a hundred?

MCS knows more about vintage bikes than I do, to be sure, I just think preserving something today whose value won't be appreciated until tomorrow, is generally a good move.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefat View Post
    I just think preserving something today whose value won't be appreciated until tomorrow, is generally a good move.
    Sure, valid point, it's never a bad thing to do as a life practice, but you wouldn't be destroying a "diamond in the making" in this case either.

So many old bikes out there, so few that achieve any kind of vaunted status. None of the JC Higgins bikes ever grab dollars in the same league as say, a Schwinn Black Phantom (similar type/style) a Cunningham, or a Pierce Arrow Hygienic Cushion shaft drive.

Old doesn't make value either.

Some things from the 1970's and 80's trumps stuff I have from the late 1800s by huge margins. A Huffy (sure, nicely made in the USA for decades, but still a cheap piece of transportation at days end), Western Auto, Columbia, Royce Union, what have you, will never hit big values, even when the next to last one goes into the crusher.

Not being argumentative, I appreciate what you're driving at, just helping focus the broader picture....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Not being argumentative, I appreciate what you're driving at, just helping focus the broader picture....
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Incorrect. That's called a "courtesy fender". The idea was that you -sprayed more water on your feet- than you would with a regular fender.

Seriously.

Grumps
    There I fixed it. Seriously if it were such a thing it would more likely be the size of the rear fender so as to add coverage, not take coverage from one place and put it somewhere else.

Back on topic, that bike is a Murray built bike definitely not the same level of construction that would have been acceptable for "klunking" BITD.
    Even post war Schwinns were eschewed in favor of the pre-war bikes for durability.
    I do think that bike looks like it's in good enough shape to clean it up (and turn the fender around) and preserve it for posterity. Of course it's your bike and if a faux Klunker is what you would like then go for it.