Thread: JC Higgins

mtbr member

New question here. JC Higgins

I found my Dad's old original (early 60's) JC Higgins in the shed the other day...it needs some rust removal but for the most part looks pretty good.

I have zero knowledge about vintage bikes and wondered if anyone has any input here...is the bike worth anything or just sentimental? Where would I start to go about finding replacement parts if any are needed? ( a rim for instance )

Thanks in advance for any input here!!!

bonked
    I don't know about value, but that was a brand sold by Sears store back then. My dad had a JC Higgins .22LR rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Elgin was the Sears "house brand" up until WWI. After the war, they switched to the JC Higgins name (which was one of their long-tern accountants or so I have heard).

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If it's 60's era, it's not worth alot, as there are plenty around, holding up sheds in backyards, all over the US. If it's solid though, and just needs some TLC, and a bit of steel wool, it would make a fun project, and will be a hoot to ride, though in the woods, it may be a bit over geared, have fun!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Just found out it is a 1957...ordered through a Sears catalogue for $26! Wow, that is alot of money for a 13 year old back then...my dad must have mowed a few lawns!!!

Not really looking to make any money off it...it will be a fun project for hubby and I and due to my lack of verticle mass I will not get too many rides on it...but hubby will and my father will be thrilled to see his childhood bike back in shape