Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VRC Hound

Japanese bike museum

Finally got to the Osaka bike museum. I went to see Breezer #9 and roundly criticized the place for displaying it as a Brezzer built by Joe Brezzer. It was correct in Japanese

Pretty awesome bike.

Wandering around the museum I saw a room full of bikes that I could barely see.

I first asked them to turn the lights on but still couldn't see the lights. The curator graciously allowed me to enter through the staff entrance to get my hands dirty, so to speak.

First I was amazed by this bike. I was told it was great because it had a 1st gen XT group :|

Then I saw this one and was told it had a Cunningham-style brake :|

And none were for sale or trade, though I tried, very hard.

Tons of pix are here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ngellner/SakaiMuseum#

mtbr member
    Very cool! Thanks for the pictures.

どうもありがとうミスターロボット

uncle petoschi-san

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    wow - one of those rare official swiss cheese railway-station bikes...

mtbr member
    That's the Shimano Museum right?

I want some of those tracks and hooks for my garage ceiling.

mtbr member
    Wow. I'd love to walk around that place. Cool to see the Motorola Merckx- I just bought one of those.

These two (sarcastic?) comments you made had me wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    First I was amazed by this bike. I was told it was great because it had a 1st gen XT group :|

They make it sound like the museum doesn't know what they have, or at least your guide doesn't. I mean, the obvious response to both of those comments is 1. Sure! The fact that it's a Mantis has nothing to do with it's greatness, just the XT gruppo! and 2. Wow! It has a Cunningham-style frame too! Was your guide a little clueless, or was it just a language barrier?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    That's the Shimano Museum right?

I want some of those tracks and hooks for my garage ceiling.
    i want the merckx.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

adult onset ADHD
    We just lost our bit of cycling history, do to the inaction of the local politicians, the museum was looking for a slot in the downtown district, that never happened. now the collection will be gone forever from this continent.

http://www.pedalinghistory.com/
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Omg!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

VRC Illuminati
    Its just not right.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Not Just Any Merckx

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    i want the merckx.
    Team Motorola Merckx MXL!!!!!!!!! (check the fork and chainstays)

that bike most likely belonged to some big whig. Maybe the bike he won Fleche Wallone on.
    Motorola bikes are great
    Motorola team bikes better
    Most are Corsas
    that is an MXL, rare and reserved for the stones

mtbr member
    They make it sound like the museum doesn't know what they have, or at least your guide doesn't. I mean, the obvious response to both of those comments is 1. Sure! The fact that it's a Mantis has nothing to do with it's greatness, just the XT gruppo! and 2. Wow! It has a Cunningham-style frame too! Was your guide a little clueless, or was it just a language barrier?[/QUOTE]

My guess is lost in translation!

mtbr member
    I think Noah speaks the ranguage somewhat. Did they mention the smooth firret brazing on the Mantis?

velocipede technician
    I think Noah speaks the ranguage somewhat. Did they mention the smooth firret brazing on the Mantis?
    now I have that scene from a christmas story stuck in my head...

nice sig
    looking for 20-21" P team

VRC Hound
    My guide was the curator of the museum. In fairness to him, the museum has a huge range and my guess is that he is more focused on the really early bikes and championship bikes. I didnt take many pictures of them but they had draissanes (sp) boneshakers, etc etc. They had a lot of championship road and track bikes. He told me that for the mountain bikes his main interested was getting the Breezer and confirming that it was authentic. The other bikes are just things he picked up. He really dug a fluoresent pink three seater mountain tandem that was built for the three Shimano brothers for an office party. The real shame for me is that visitors cant see most of the bikes that I went crazy for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zingel
    [/URL]
    This pic reminds me of the movie Coma:

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Quote Originally Posted by haaki
    Team Motorola Merckx MXL!!!!!!!!! (check the fork and chainstays)

that bike most likely belonged to some big whig. Maybe the bike he won Fleche Wallone on.
    Motorola bikes are great
    Motorola team bikes better
    Most are Corsas
    that is an MXL, rare and reserved for the stones
    The funny (or depressing, depending on your point of view ) thing is that when the Motorola team ended they were selling all the team hardware off at pennies on the dollar. An old teammate of mine got Max van Heeswijk's MXL for $600, complete with Dura Ace STI and Mavic SSC wheels , and there were others in the Chicago area that got similar deals on everything from complete bikes to rollers to shoe covers. Unfortunately for me I was too new to the sport to appreciate the value of any of it .

McNears-DTB Schooner
    What's important to some isn't to others. I have wonder what the curator would say touring First Flights collection???
    Wanted: Salsa P7 or P10 1" quill stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

ouch

Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie-
    The funny (or depressing, depending on your point of view ) thing is that when the Motorola team ended they were selling all the team hardware off at pennies on the dollar. An old teammate of mine got Max van Heeswijk's MXL for $600, complete with Dura Ace STI and Mavic SSC wheels , and there were others in the Chicago area that got similar deals on everything from complete bikes to rollers to shoe covers. Unfortunately for me I was too new to the sport to appreciate the value of any of it .
    that is how my MXL is set (Mavic Classic SSCs) just need a nitto noodle bar and UIG stem
    to get rid of the black (stem and bar). Mine is one of the last 100 to come off the line (2005) done in Motorola. With those wheels you are talking Tour of Flanders , Paris Roubaix,......

my guess, by looking at the size and the bars is that it is one of Pre Cancer Armstrongs. Either World Championship, Fleche Wallone or San Sebastien.

VRC Hound
    that is how my MXL is set (Mavic Classic SSCs) just need a nitto noodle bar and UIG stem
    to get rid of the black (stem and bar). Mine is one of the last 100 to come off the line (2005) done in Motorola. With those wheels you are talking Tour of Flanders , Paris Roubaix,......

my guess, by looking at the size and the bars is that it is one of Pre Cancer Armstrongs. Either World Championship, Fleche Wallone or San Sebastien.
    Curator said world championship.

VRC Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by salsa-luma
    What's important to some isn't to others. I have wonder what the curator would say touring First Flights collection???
    Exactly. I don't think he would think much of it. I didn't get the sense he was so into mountain bikes.

I wish they had a display of Dura Ace and XTR/XT over time. That would be neat to see.

mtbr member

Did Lance ride a frame that big? Looks like someone took off his Concor saddle if that is his.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by salsa-luma
    That we need a full tire bike duster and tire filler upper guy

bonked
    Did Lance ride a frame that big? Looks like someone took off his Concor saddle if that is his.
    That's a damn good question, and I kind of wondered the same thing. It does look kind of big, no? So I googled for images of him during the world championship and his bike did look kind of like that one in the video I found. But then I found an article about the bikes he has on display in the bike shop he owns or whatever and he supposedly has the world championship bike there on display. And what's more, it is one of those team color Caloi branded Litespeeds.

Any thoughts on that?

edit actually in the last few frames of the video I think you can kind of see the frame he is on during that world championship is branded 'Caloi'. And in a few shots you can clearly see the bike has a unicrown fork, not the 'aero' style on that Merckx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IF52; 01-12-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

that would have been my first guess (as it was in my post)

Curator said world championship.
    Norway. Crazy race. The Norwegians wanted an awesome race so the repaved all the roads it was to be held on. Then they got a downpour and the new asphalt, all wet was slippery as snot. Was a crash fest.

back in the day when Lance was thicker, angrier and road like a hard man

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast