Thread: Interloc

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Interloc

Jeff, here is your old MTB-frame...

Cheers Stef
    Last edited by zingel; 04-21-2008 at 09:30 AM.

VRC Hound
    When in Interloc history is this? Looks neat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    When in Interloc history is this? Looks neat.
    I don't know ...I bought it because it was cheap

I like butter
    Jan 2004
    you didnt go and peel my custom NERD decalling off now did you?

Those were sold by Merry Sales, they had blown out a bunch of them and we had got that one from a dealer on eBay, IIRC 2002-2003 sticks out in my mind. I know we had it built and Don W rode it in 2005 so maybe it was only a year or two before that. I always thought it was dirt cheap for a fillet frame, if they had had them in my size I would have swooped one as well

bonked
    Where were the Interloc branded frames produced at that point? It is nice looking. I picked up one of the CX frames not too long ago and other than the beat up paint it looks like a really well made bike. I think the cross bikes were 853 IIRC.

You all had that frame on offer not too long ago, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

HIYAH
    I had that exact frame that I purchased from Jenson in 03 or maybe 04. It was nice light fillet frame that I raced on for 1 or 2 seasons. It was dirt cheap too, i beleive less than 200 for the frame...maybe less. After beating the crap out of it for awhile I decided to have re-coated, in order to save some money at the paint shop I decided to strip it myself with some airplane stripper...

Well, there's not much brass in them fillets...mostly bondo (which the airplane stripper melted....)

I beleive the frame was made in taiwan by the same folks making the soma stuff at the time. In fact I beleive Soma and IRD where one in the same during this time period.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    Well, there's not much brass in them fillets...mostly bondo (which the airplane stripper melted....)
    Yikes. Were there reasonably nice welds under the bondo at least?
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    I owned one of these frames back around 2002-2003. Looked great, loved the paint metallic red paint. Cheap too, for around $200 online, close-out directly from Inteloc. Reynolds "New 853" tubing.

Built it up with donated M750ish XT, close-out 2001 Marzocchi X-Fly fork (kick ass fork by the way), Mavid disc wheels (X-Land I believe), and Avid cable disc brakes. I was pleased with the build, completed for less than $650.

Unfortunately, I found the rear end WAY too flexy for my taste on a 22" frame. Also, the top was a bit short for me as well. I'm sure the frame would serve as a great frame for a smaller/lighter rider. Not so much for bigger guys.

bonked
    Is that inherent with 853 or just that bike? The stays look really small so I'm guessing that bike. I haven't ridden 853 much to say and haven't really gotten out on the cross bike yet, but being tall and over 200lbs maybe it is something I should avoid?
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Is that inherent with 853 or just that bike? The stays look really small so I'm guessing that bike. I haven't ridden 853 much to say and haven't really gotten out on the cross bike yet, but being tall and over 200lbs maybe it is something I should avoid?
    Definitely the bike!!! I am 6'4", roughly 210 lbs. I have ridden road & MTB frames made from both 853 and Prestige tubing that were plenty still, yet compliant. I have also ridden some sloppy wet noodles as well. All in the hands of the builder.....................

On a side note, I am suspect regarding the "New 853" tubing used on the Interloc. Whatever the hell that is.....