mtbr member
    Aug 2005

INFO WANTED - Raleigh USA Technium Chill

Hi,

During my parents' house move and clearance of their garage I've come back into possession of my 1990 Raleigh Technium Chill, which I forgot I even still owned. It was stolen in C.'93 and subsequently recovered, but not before the thief had gone at it with a grinder and replaced a few components to disguise it.

After 14 years of being hung on a nail in the garage it's pretty much siezed but i reckon with a bit of TLC I can get it trailworthy again, hopefully as a SS.

What I want to know is if anyone has any literature, spec sheets or any info on the bike so I can restore it as carefully as I can. As a massive long shot I would be eternally grateful (and pay any expenses) for some replacement decals so I can have it sprayed and re-stickered.

Thanks for reading. I'd be so grateful if anyone even offers me directions on where best to look next.

Dave.

VRC Illuminati
    I've got to be honest...it's not worth your time and effort to restore it. You've got a better chance of finding a complete one in good shape for cheap.

I saw a Technium frame and fork at a swap for...$20? It looked like it was in good shape too. I see them pop up on Craigslist all the time.

I understand the sentimental value you have attached to it...but even still, save yourself the time and grief and find another one.

Just my humble $.02.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

John Galt
    Here's a related thread:

What should I do with this thing?

I bought one of these about a year ago, fixed it up and sold it. I got $91 for it on Ebay. I don't think you'll get a lot for it, but cleaning/tuning it up is worth your time if you want to ride it.

As I recall, the original components were a mix of DX (rear derailleur) and Deore (thumbies, crankset, brakes, levers, hubs).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the info guys. To be honest I knew it wouldn't be a cost effective thing to do, but I don't really intend selling it anyway. It would just be a bit of a project and an ideal way to learn a few mechanics' skills without laying my heavy hands on my beloved Cove

Rumpfy, $20 wasn't far off my budget for the SS conversion anyway! Basically it needs painted, new bearings and new cables. Possibly a new BB but they're pennies on ebay. I have a few bits & pieces in my spares box and a friend of my has a set of wheels.

Cegrover, thanks for the link. Looks like i'm not the only one who sees SS potential in this bike!

John Galt
    No worries. Keep us posted on results with photos!

nobody

That will make a great SS

Here's mine.

The 4" travel fork is a bit much but it's still fun to ride. Nice that you don't need a chain tensioner either!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Collected the frame today and it's in worse condition than I thought.

On the plus side I have pretty much everything I need for the SS conversion other than a rear wheel so it would still cost almost nothing to do, and my father-in-law can respray with the best of 'em, but that rusted chainstay worries me slightly.

VRC Illuminati
    Might just be surface rust...

It's a pretty overbuilt frame, I think you should be ok.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    So, how is this project progressing? -GT2005

Quote Originally Posted by Davidpurvis
    Collected the frame today and it's in worse condition than I thought.

On the plus side I have pretty much everything I need for the SS conversion other than a rear wheel so it would still cost almost nothing to do, and my father-in-law can respray with the best of 'em, but that rusted chainstay worries me slightly.

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=cegrover]Here's a related thread:

What should I do with this thing?

I bought one of these about a year ago, fixed it up and sold it. I got $91 for it on Ebay. I don't think you'll get a lot for it, but cleaning/tuning it up is worth your time if you want to ride it.

As I recall, the original components were a mix of DX (rear derailleur) and Deore (thumbies, crankset, brakes, levers, hubs).[/QUO_______

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Simple answer - It isn't! I'm just getting the holidays out of the way before making a start.

First thing will be to strip all of the components and inspect the frame, which will take place this week.

Pics to follow I promise and thanks for the interest. It's much appreciated.