Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ibis Silk Ti vs Bontager Ti Lite vs Moots YBB SL

I'm jumping on the 29er wagon and I'm considering parting with one of these lovely ladies to finance the new build. I had originally purchased the YBB SL which took my riding to a whole other level and started my love of ti. She does duty as a SS mostly these days. The Ibis came next since I am a fan of the ti softtail design and is built a a 1x9. Lastly, the Bontrager is the newest edition and she is built up as a fully rigid SS/ENO Ecc hub/V's. I am considering installing S&S couplers and making her my travel bike since I fly quite a bit for work to warmer, less snowy locales.

To me, all of these bikes are works of art and I'd be willing to clean them up and hang them on my wall but the wife's not too keen on that idea.

Nothing is for sale yet so don't ask. Once I make a decision, I'll post a link to a classified.

So if one had to let one go, which one and why?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    Knowing little to nothing about these bikes other than the names, I would sell the Ibis, definately keep the Moots and maybe use your idea on the Bonty.
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Yeah the Ibis would likely fetch the most money to finance your 29er.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

artistic...
    sell the 3 seatposts.... that would give enough money for a karate monkey.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    sell the 3 seatposts.... that would give enough money for a karate monkey.
    HA! Too true! Luckily I never pay retail so the straight Moots came with the Ibis and the other 2 layback posts were found at the Veloswap in Denver for cheap.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lactic
    HA! Too true! Luckily I never pay retail so the straight Moots came with the Ibis and the other 2 layback posts were found at the Veloswap in Denver for cheap.
    sell the ibis. the moots is an important bike for you. the bonty is full rigid, different. unless it does not fit i would keep it.
    so sell the ibis and turn the moots back into geared mode.

mtbr member
    Another scenario would be to sell the Ibis AND the Bontrager and install the S&S couplers on the Moots as a SS.

This particular YBB is definitely special since I've lusted for one since '92, it's a perfect fit, and was supposedly raced in the World Championships (little sticker on the top tube).

Mmmmmm Beer!
    I say keep the Ibis! Sell the Bonti and the Moots and then get a 29er Moots.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Witty McWitterson
    Keep the Bonty, its the rarest of the bunch. Put a sweet Ti fork and it and love it.

If it were me, I'd sell the Ibis and the Moots. That'll get you probably more than enough to do up a banger Moots 29"er. The Ibis will probably fetch more than anything else.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    tough choice. with heavy heart i'd sell the ibis. that leaves you with a soft tail and a rigid. the bontrager is a nice piece of history. the only reason why i'd sell the ibis over the moots is because you've had the moots the longest. it'd be hard (for me at least) to get rid of an old friend.

the new Gilbert Grape
    oops.
    Last edited by laffeaux; 04-12-2008 at 08:33 PM.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Interesting question. I have a Ibis Mojo I bought new in 1995 and worked at shops that sold both the Bonty and the Moots. Never rode the Silk Ti--it was after my time working in shops--but it's the most interesting design. The Moots is probably the best all-round bike, but you could replace it easily (with a new one). I had a Bonty Race for a while but hated the geometry. My buddy had a ti Bonty like yours. Were they made in Russia or something like that? Or was it TST? I can't remember. But to me it's not as special as a Santa Cruz-built Race or Race Light. Which do you like riding the most? Which will fetch the most money? I'd sell the one you ride the least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    Interesting question. I have a Ibis Mojo I bought new in 1995 and worked at shops that sold both the Bonty and the Moots. Never rode the Silk Ti--it was after my time working in shops--but it's the most interesting design. The Moots is probably the best all-round bike, but you could replace it easily (with a new one). I had a Bonty Race for a while but hated the geometry. My buddy had a ti Bonty like yours. Were they made in Russia or something like that? Or was it TST? I can't remember. But to me it's not as special as a Santa Cruz-built Race or Race Light. Which do you like riding the most? Which will fetch the most money? I'd sell the one you ride the least.

yeah, those farmed out ti Bontys do nothing for me (the steel ones dont really either, the geometry is not for me). Not much out there on the level of an Ibis or a Moots IMO.

I'd eat top ramon for 6 months and get a Castellano Silk Ti 29er made by Steve Potts.

All kidding aside, keep the Moots since its got sentimental value.

mtbr member

Thanks for the Responses Thus Far!!

I can't believe I've spent this much time thinking about this but each one of these frames has been the object of my obsession during the 90s!

Since I'm getting some fantastic feedback here, I thought I would post some more information to go on.

The short term plan is to pick up a pro-deal on a scandium Niner Air9 29er hardtail. I rode one of these for a couple hours in Fruita this last weekend and I was very impressed with how it handled, climbed, and dealt with rocky, technical sections. Bottom line- it just fits the way I ride.

So, I will ride the Niner as a geared bike and possible dabble in SS'ing with an ENO Eccentric rear hub. If the 29er lifestyle agrees with me after a year, I will most likely take the plunge and go for a custom ti 29er. Possibly a Castellano Silk Ti 29er, BlackSheep, Moots Mooto-X, etc.

I have decided to most likely keep all of them for right now. If the Niner works out OK over the next month, I'll most likely sell the Ibis to cover some uber-light 29er wheels and a F29 Fox fork.

Now the question becomes...

If you were to install S&S couplers on one of these classic 90's ti frames, would you cut the Moots YBB SL or the Bontrager? Do you think the resale would be dramatically affected in the long run?

mtbr member
    If you were to install S&S couplers on one of these classic 90's ti frames, would you cut the Moots YBB SL or the Bontrager? Do you think the resale would be dramatically affected in the long run?
    What, are you high? No way in hell I'd do that... I bet you could pick up a Ritchey Breakaway frame for less than the price of the conversion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    What, are you high? No way in hell I'd do that... I bet you could pick up a Ritchey Breakaway frame for less than the price of the conversion.
    Most likely. It would be roughly $800 for the ti S&S conversion. But a Ritchey is no Moots or Bontrager...

I'm really just looking for any excuse to keep these bikes near me.

mtbr member
    Most likely. It would be roughly $800 for the ti S&S conversion. But a Ritchey is no Moots or Bontrager...

I'm really just looking for any excuse to keep these bikes near me.
    I hear ya. I just wouldn't hack 'em up like that. You can't put 'em back. Think of all the guys with 60s muscle cars that got brutally hacked up in the 70s or 80s...

artistic...
    the ibis and the bonty are smaller than the moots? or is it an impression from the pics? the moots looks like an 18in, 23in top tube. the ibis is a small, 22.25 and the bonty a medium, 22.6.
    they all fit you well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    the ibis and the bonty are smaller than the moots? or is it an impression from the pics? the moots looks like an 18in, 23in top tube. the ibis is a small, 22.25 and the bonty a medium, 22.6.
    they all fit you well?
    All pretty much SMALL frames. Ibis is definitely a small but I'm running 100mm shocks in the front. The Moots was a custom geo so it might be between a SM and MED. I believe the Bonti was a small as well. I'm 5'7" and have always tended to go with smaller frames for "flickability". All fit well but I will be going with a medium Niner for the 29er.

mtbr member
    keep the Moots

keep the Bontrager

keep the Ibis

4th option: sell the wife

Personally, that would be what I would do with mine

mtbr member
    Do you really NEED to sell one of the three? I would guess money isn't too much of an issue given what you have already. Is it a space issue? It seems like all three have a level of significance that warrants keeping them all. I couldn't make the choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation12,000
    keep the Moots

keep the Bontrager

keep the Ibis

4th option: sell the wife

Personally, that would be what I would do with mine
    HA! Fruit Loops all over my keyboard.

I have considered selling a kidney for bike parts over the years so is human trafficing really that far off?

artistic...
    HA! Fruit Loops all over my keyboard.

I have considered selling a kidney for bike parts over the years so is human trafficing really that far off?
    vintage kidney? not NOS... it has it's value.

forget the 29er man. your wife is right. you have enough bikes!
    (getting rid of one of those for a Niner? and probably too big at a medium? that's insane...)

mtbr member
    For the money it would take to convert the ti bonti (ss couplers), couldn't you buy a cheap 29r to see if it's really for you?

I sold my MonsterFAT years back to finance a new bike. I've regretted ever since, and now keep everything!

Save them all. "Leave the gun, take the connolis."

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    For the money it would take to convert the ti bonti (ss couplers), couldn't you buy a cheap 29r to see if it's really for you?

I sold my MonsterFAT years back to finance a new bike. I've regretted ever since, and now keep everything!

Save them all. "Leave the gun, take the connolis."
    i like the converting on the bonty... if it means rding more and riding in exotic places. it adds 1/2 lb and rigidity is not lost.

and build a niner on a $600 budget (minus frame/fork). if it doesn't ride well w/ standard xt wheels/tires it shouldn't get better w/ $$$$$$ wheels. anyway... that's my philosophy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast