Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679

    New question here. I have seven Klein's in need of "housing guides" where to you guys get this tubes...?

    I promise if I find the answer elsewhere I will share it too

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    502
    I have bought 4 sets from this guy and they have worked great.
    Klein Bike New Cable Liner Frame Guide Housing Sleeve | eBay

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by LARRYJO View Post
    I have bought 4 sets from this guy and they have worked great.
    Klein Bike New Cable Liner Frame Guide Housing Sleeve | eBay
    Thanks Larry that is a good start, i just wish i can find the "source material" in bulk and make them my self..

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Thanks Larry that is a good start, i just wish i can find the "source material" in bulk and make them my self..
    I believe it's PTFE tubing, 3.2mm OD. I forgot where I bought mine from (years ago).
    Complete my:
    Klein Attitude XS collection: 91, 92

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    I believe it's PTFE tubing, 3.2mm OD. I forgot where I bought mine from (years ago).
    Thanks senor, I take a look on McMaster-Carr and go from there..

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Thanks senor, I take a look on McMaster-Carr and go from there..
    Update: sadly MaMaster does not have such a small size, HERE is what they have

  7. #7
    illuminaughty
    Reputation: da'HOOV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,651

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679
    Here is what I have found so far..
    -White, 50feet for $55

    -Many colors, so far no price but not translucent.

    -I think is translucent but I'm waiting for a response also on the price.

    -McMaster's in traslucent for about a dollar a feet

    Still not cheap, but cheaper than the already made stuff on Ebay

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    74
    I would imagine that it doesn't need to the high temp teflon stuff. Could you use some of that small black plastic tubing that they use for garden irrigation? Just a thought.
    All vintage all the time. Nothing like a nice chromo frame with some properly adjusted cantilevers.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxes88 View Post
    Could you use some of that small black plastic tubing that they use for garden irrigation? Just a thought.
    OD and wall thickness are too thick.
    Complete my:
    Klein Attitude XS collection: 91, 92

  11. #11
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,255
    And the question no one has asked. Why 6 Kleins?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    And the question no one has asked. Why 6 Kleins?
    Actually I have Nine of them but only seven of them need new liners..

  13. #13
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,255
    The question went unanswered.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    The question went unanswered.
    Very basic answer, because I like them and I have great memories of them from years gone by/

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    The question went unanswered.
    Another VRC dick?
    Or are you trying to be funny? Witty?
    How many bikes do you have Jeff?
    Why say anything at all?
    1,2,3 go!

  16. #16
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,255
    Not a dick at all Larry. Witty? Not today. *****ey today? Yes. Bikes I own? Maybe 12-15. Nothing over the top as far as quality/heritage goes. I find 9 of the same make over the top but that's just me, today. 3-2-1 go.
    Quote Originally Posted by LARRYJO View Post
    Another VRC dick?
    Or are you trying to be funny? Witty?
    How many bikes do you have Jeff?
    Why say anything at all?
    1,2,3 go!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Not a dick at all Larry. Witty? Not today. *****ey today? Yes. Bikes I own? Maybe 12-15. Nothing over the top as far as quality/heritage goes. I find 9 of the same make over the top but that's just me, today. 3-2-1 go.
    It seems that if owning 6-9 of the same builder/company is over the top then half the members of this forum are over the top.
    People come to the VRC for help and sometimes in return they get no such thing. As my dad used to say "it only takes one ******* to spoil everyone else's fun".
    Maybe you where not trying to be one and all you really wanted was a serious answer to your question. If so, I apologize. Please tell me I was worng. Please.

  18. #18
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,255
    Sorry Larry...you're wrong. I was being a judgmental, Klein hating jerk. Now I'll just go hide in the corner and keep my peep shut until I have something nice to say.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by LARRYJO View Post
    It seems that if owning 6-9 of the same builder/company is over the top then half the members of this forum are over the top.
    People come to the VRC for help and sometimes in return they get no such thing. As my dad used to say "it only takes one ******* to spoil everyone else's fun".
    Maybe you where not trying to be one and all you really wanted was a serious answer to your question. If so, I apologize. Please tell me I was worng. Please.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  19. #19
    He be a moose too.
    Reputation: pinguwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,099
    I bought some stuff from Graingers. The tubes from Klein had the sizes stamped on it and I used that to get it from Graingers.

    Nylon Tubing - 1/8" - Pipe and Tubing - Grainger Industrial Supply

    If someone needs an exact ID size, I can measure it at the machine shop but going from memory, it's 1/8 OD, 3/32 ID. The official Klein tubing isn't teflon or PTFE, it's simple nylon tubing. Don't pay the guy on ebay. To flare the end, take a larger nail or punch, heat it up and form the flared end. I bought 50 ft. and don't ever need any more.

    Now, if I could only get an old piece of nylon housing that has broken off inside a down tube.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    I bought some stuff from Graingers. The tubes from Klein had the sizes stamped on it and I used that to get it from Graingers.

    Nylon Tubing - 1/8" - Pipe and Tubing - Grainger Industrial Supply

    If someone needs an exact ID size, I can measure it at the machine shop but going from memory, it's 1/8 OD, 3/32 ID. The official Klein tubing isn't teflon or PTFE, it's simple nylon tubing. Don't pay the guy on ebay. To flare the end, take a larger nail or punch, heat it up and form the flared end. I bought 50 ft. and don't ever need any more.

    Now, if I could only get an old piece of nylon housing that has broken off inside a down tube.
    Wow you just save me a ton of money, thanks..

    So do you want to sell me the rest of your roll, I pay you the Grainger's price even if the roll is not complete..

  21. #21
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,467
    Sweet! Thanks, Pinguin!

    LarryJo, no need to call anybody a dick. OP was kind enough to answer. I also think his answer was a very good one.

  22. #22
    The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Reputation: eastcoaststeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post

    Now, if I could only get an old piece of nylon housing that has broken off inside a down tube.
    ping, FTW had a neat trick for getting stuff out of Klein tubes recently...he said he rolled a small piece of paper into a tight cone, put it in a hole in the tube, and turned the frame until the piece (broken drill bit) hit the paper, then he just tipped it out. Might be worth a shot with your stuck tubing.


    Steve

  23. #23
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,467
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    ping, FTW had a neat trick for getting stuff out of Klein tubes recently...he said he rolled a small piece of paper into a tight cone, put it in a hole in the tube, and turned the frame until the piece (broken drill bit) hit the paper, then he just tipped it out. Might be worth a shot with your stuck tubing.
    I think I can picture that....I'd probably lose the cone in the tube as well. heehee. Thanks for the tip, Steve. FTW should make videos!

  24. #24
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Jagwire sells replacement lining for Nokon housing. It's a couple bucks for a few meters of the stuff.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    472
    I would contact a local plastic supply place, virtually every decent sized city has one and you would be very surprised the sorts of stuff they have around. Might save you from buying a huge roll.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22
    My LBS was able to source them. If I remember to ask next time I'm in there I will post the info here.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22
    My LBS was able to source them. I will ask next time I am in and post the info here.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sq_root_of_2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    211
    Is this the size that works?

    Approximate measurements:

    OD
    I have seven Klein's in need of "housing guides" where to you guys get this tubes...?-od.jpg

    ID
    I have seven Klein's in need of "housing guides" where to you guys get this tubes...?-id.jpg

    Tubing
    I have seven Klein's in need of "housing guides" where to you guys get this tubes...?-liner.jpg

  29. #29
    He be a moose too.
    Reputation: pinguwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,099
    I just took the tubing into a machine shop this morning and the OD is .125". They've got boxes full of hundreds of precision cylindrical pieces of metal, in increments of .001", that are used to measure inner diameter. The tubing has an ID of .088.

  30. #30
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,467
    Thanks Pinguwin. I'm going to pick up a little bit for a project.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sq_root_of_2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    211
    I use this for my bikes at friction points, but they are not Klein bikes. It works with the old thick brake cables as well as the thinner shifter cables.

    Conversion to inches OD = 0.1185 inches ID = 0.102 inches. Again my measurements are approximate because the tubing is not completely round. I tried to get the best average reading.

    I will try to go to my source and look at the reel later today, maybe it has the actual dimensions on the reel.. It is fairly inexpensive I seem to remember somewhere around 10 cents to 50 cents a foot no quanitity minimum. Available in black as well.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,679
    From Gary Klein him self (I ask on the Klein facebook page)

    " it is just polyethelene. Teflon shreds and binds up the cables. 1/8 is correct. We eventually just used it to thread the cables and removed it in most cases."

  33. #33
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,467
    Good job, guys! SQrt2, I owe you an email.

  34. #34
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    If your not going for a "parts matching" restoration.....here's a link to the Jagwire/Nokon replacement stuff.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •