Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Are you going to keep the frame that matte black? The rock shox stuff kinda clashes with its flashy bright logos and shiny finish.

IMHO, name brand means squat on this build. Paint the fork the same matte black! Stealthy coolness

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Frame too small?

That's one heck of a seatpost. Hope that thing is solid.

All kidding aside, looking good, but I agree on the stealth look. Make the fork match the frame.

frog

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, I was using that long rod to make seatposts for all my old pre-war bikes. I used it to hold the frame for painting and now it is a little stuck. I will need to put it in a vice to get it back out. I was debating taking the logos off the fork. I think I will and I may remove the labels from the wheels as well.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sooo nasty! I love it!

I vote fullly label-less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looking great!

What are your impressions of those "Mr. Tick" bars?
    --------------

[WTB} 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Looking great!

What are your impressions of those "Mr. Tick" bars?
    I have not actually ridden them yet. The sweep is a little more than I am used to but it feels comfortable. The quality is excellent and he will do them in custom widths for the same price. I am lucky my brake cables were about 5 inches too long for my single speed because they came off an extra large bike so they work with this bar without having to change cables.

mtbr member
    Great project! I think you'll find that fork will set the bike back too much (too slack). Might be worth getting an older 2.5" travel SID (or any other short fork) vs the 3" one you have just to drop it a little more.

I agree with the others, fork needs to be decal free and flat black would be even cooler.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    All that remains is the headset. It should be here early next week. I plan to swap the skewers for some black XT ones, trim the cables etc. The rear brake cable is a little shorter than I would like so I had to route it differently than I planned. I could just get a new cable but I just bled these things and they are working perfect so I will wait until the next time they need a bleed to make a new cable. All the decals are gone. I would have painted the fork but to do it right would mean dissasembling it so I will wait until it needs service to do that. I made a shim for the handlebars out of an old scott handlebar. I trimmed off 2 pieces of it and made a shim for the front derailler as well. The rear wheel mounts up perfect with no brake rub. Shifting seems great in the stand but we will have to see how it is on the trail.

mtbr member
    It's like a modern klunker.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    The rear wheel mounts up perfect with no brake rub.
    Nice!!! Well done indeed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Absolutely love the way it turned out. Looks great. I would throw a Brooks on there myself for a little offset of color. One with the brass rails would look super sick on there but that is just personal preference from my side. Great work!!

Hi.
    Damn man, that is fantastic work. Let us know how it rides!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Still waiting on the headset so I experimented with the headbadge a bit. I used the toner transfer method to make one out of aluminum. It was much easier than brass or copper. With brass and copper you have to use ferric chloride which is just horrible stuff. With aluminum you just use Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) and water, same stuff I used to strip ano off of old rims. I spend 2 dollars on some surplus aluminum and it worked great. Got a nice deep clean etch in about 45 minutes. I think if I had a better laser printer I could get a more detailed image but this one looks ok.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Still waiting on the headset so I experimented with the headbadge a bit. I used the toner transfer method to make one out of aluminum. It was much easier than brass or copper. With brass and copper you have to use ferric chloride which is just horrible stuff. With aluminum you just use Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) and water, same stuff I used to strip ano off of old rims. I spend 2 dollars on some surplus aluminum and it worked great. Got a nice deep clean etch in about 45 minutes. I think if I had a better laser printer I could get a more detailed image but this one looks ok.

Very, very nice work.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Finally got the headset turned down to fit and installed. After that everything else just fell into place. I took it for the first ride around the neighborhood and I am absolutely thrilled with the way it rides. It shifts flawlessly and stops on a dime. The steering is not lazy feeling at all. This is the first time I pulled a bike off the stand and rode it without having to adjust the shifting or brakes in some way. Just a little tweak to the bars and saddle and I was dialed in. I absolutely love it. I will get some dirt on it this weekend and see how it holds up. And I will try to get some better photos.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Took it out for a few miles of dirt today. Front derailler needed some tweaking to get it to drop to the small ring but other than that everything is solid. The 2.35 tire in the rear is cutting in pretty close but it sure takes the edge off the small bumps. 34.6 pounds as it sits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Beautiful bike! Only 34lbs that's lighter than I expected, I applaud you sir it turned out very nice

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Love It!!

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's really excellent! Very distinctive. How's it ride?

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    That is crazy awesome. I'm really impressed with all the custom fab work! Much respect...

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    It is still in one piece. I commute on it 12 miles daily and I get a few miles of dirt on the way home. I have ridden a bike everyday since January 1st this year as a part of my weight loss/get in shape for Keyesville program. Although I ended up not going to keyesville I stuck with the plan which included eliminating beer. So far I am down 17 pounds. So yes this bike has taken a good pounding. My biggest concern was whether or not the rear wheel would move in the dropout. After several drops and small jumps and some off camber impacts it has not budged.

My biggest mistake was using grey primer, I could have used black and all the chips in the paint I am getting would not be so obvious. I will probably strip it and get it powder coated in the future if it holds up. I just didn't want to spend the money only to have to repair it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My biggest mistake was using grey primer, I could have used black and all the chips in the paint I am getting would not be so obvious. I will probably strip it and get it powder coated in the future if it holds up. I just didn't want to spend the money only to have to repair it.

Same here on the grey primer on my Colson!
    Not sure on the powder coat, would have to rough up the front after to add the very dark green darts I have. Currently it's a pearl black with the pearl green up front, don't really see the green until the sun hits it, then it pops. It was my first paint job, so what did I expect anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4