Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    Anyone else out there done this with a 20's or thirties vintage frame. I'd really like to do one of those. I really like the roaring 29er Tony Pereira built, just can't afford one.
    One of our forum members Timmy has a Pereira 29er that to me is still one of the best looking bikes I have ever seen. To my knowledge there is at least one other person who has added disks to a pre-war frame. It was a schwinn and it was posted on Rat Rod Bikes. I think the username was catahula. Just go to that site and search for disk brakes and you will find it. Not much detail though. I think a pre-war schwinn would be a little better suited to this because the stays are round and not as narrow.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    Anyone else out there done this with a 20's or thirties vintage frame. I'd really like to do one of those. I really like the roaring 29er Tony Pereira built, just can't afford one.
    Yes. Currently under the torch for canti's. Well, has been for quite awhile. 27 Colson. I have a 34 CCW in the same state.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    One of our forum members Timmy has a Pereira 29er that to me is still one of the best looking bikes I have ever seen. To my knowledge there is at least one other person who has added disks to a pre-war frame. It was a schwinn and it was posted on Rat Rod Bikes. I think the username was catahula. Just go to that site and search for disk brakes and you will find it. Not much detail though. I think a pre-war schwinn would be a little better suited to this because the stays are round and not as narrow.
    ★ RATRODBIKES.COM ★ • View topic - 1936 Schwinn B98 Nexus 8 Spd Disc Brakes ! > > SOLD

Here is a link when it was for sale... super cool resto-mod!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yeah his setup kinda gave me the idea. Notice how many washers and spacers he had to use for a 160mm disk though. He should try a 140 and pull those spacers out to stiffen it up. His setup must be a pain to align properly but it sure looks smooth.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I got it mocked up today so I could work out the cable routing. Only then did I realize the brakes were set up as lefty rear and righty front. Needless to say this won't work for me so I will be swapping the levers and re-bleeding which kinda sucks because I have to by a bleed kit. I have a lovely Sid fork provided by ccmcdoc via our trade thread and I couldn't be happier. It works flawlessly and looks almost new. Since the fork is black I am thinking of going with a matte black finish which will go with the hubs, fork and parts and it should give the bike a road warrior kind of look. I have some custom decals and a headbadge in mind as well. A cross country fork with downhill brakes on an antique frame. I think we have truly entered the land of ridiculousness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

27 Colson MTB

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    27 Colson.
    Outstanding ride! I'd love to do one of these. Time to find a frame.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Awesome build and great work so far on all the resto mods.

Mind sharing what your plans are for the headset?

Subscribed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Looks real nice! If you could figure out the year it was made you should paint "193? -> 2012" (or the year you finish this) on the top tube somewhere.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Here is the answer to the headset question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How far can you take a pre-war frame?-61301_10200104784363843_2115144878_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is the answer to the headset question.
    Let me know when these go into production. Very Nice!

Certified Creep
    Feb 2009
    Favourite thread.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biss-ness View Post
    Let me know when these go into production. Very Nice!
    They alread are along with a magnitude of amazing cool parts for old bikes. Take a look here: Products

Not my site by the way. Tick Oner is also on facebook and he is the one turning down headsets to fit pre-war bikes. You supply the headset. He is quite an interesting individual. He will only work on American made headsets. He makes really nice handlebars and seatposts too. He also makes bolt on canti bosses for old frames. Very trustworthy.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Just one more cable stop left to braze and we are done with the hot stuff. Next step will be to remove the old seat post collar so I can use an alloy one instead. I also poured in some more brass around the dropouts to smooth them out. Cable routing on the downtube seemed the best option because it is the only straight bar on the bike. Using the top tube for the brake line was the only option for the rear brake. I had to mount it on the sid a bit to keep the cable from rubbing the head tube too much. I am going over the top of the bb shell for the rear derailler and maybe the front too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice work on that frame. I can't wait to see it completed.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Very cool project. I'll be checking back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I built one several years ago using a '70 Schwinn cantilever frame. Originally built it with a pre-war spring fork and Sachs drum brake hubs (rear was 7 speed). Widened the rear spacing to 135 and internally routed the cables.
    I rode it that way for a while and then gave it to my dad, who put a hub motor in the rear and added a disc mount. He rode it that way for a while, then wrecked it and decided he was done with riding. So, I got it back and parted it out. Still have the Sachs hubs. I have a photo of it together somewhere, but can't find it. Here's one of the frame (which I sold on RRB).

You might want to consider adding some material to your dropstand/dropout area so that if you snag the derailleur it won't rip the threads out. Build looks good.
    Last edited by francois; 01-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Seatpost clamp removed, last cable stop brazed on. I filed and sanded for hours. The frame had some heavy pitting but I think after I get the primer sanded it will look ok.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Been watching this thread for a while, looks like youre nearly done now
    Getting close for sure but I still need the headset turned and I need the bb adaptor and a decent crank. Problem is I am totally broke after Christmas. Hopefully a parts donor bike will come along on craigslist so I can score some parts will little or no out of pocket expense. Sure would be nice to have this complete for Keyesville this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Man, Nice job. I like you added braze ons

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Painted today and started working on the headbadge.

Last edited by sandmangts; 12-30-2012 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Always excited to see the updates. All the brazing looks really smooth under the paint. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ha. I still haven't finished the build up of that frame Andy. Hopefully I'll get a chance to paint it and build it up here in the next few weeks if it gets a little warmer.
    1978 Cooks Bros cruiser/klunker
    09 Specialized Stump Elite
    25+ other bikes (mostly cruisers)

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I got the headbadge done today. I used a sheet of brass plated steel from an old door kickplate. The acid etch took off the brass around the resist and left just the steel showing. I then used spray paint and I wet sanded it with a Turtle wax headlight lens restoration kit. It took the paint off the raised areas and left the brass showing.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Made a little more progress. I decided to use the Hope Mini brakes instead of the M4's. I got the rear brake mounted up and it is good to go without having to use shims or spacers. I used a Truvativ bottom bracket adaptor. I am waiting for my modified King headset and a new XT crank to arrive and then it is building time. All the hard stuff is over. The bottom bracket is just a tad higher than my DX which is good. The headtube angle is not as slack as I expected so steering should be pretty snappy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wow that is impressive. Sure does look fun

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast