Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That is gonna be awesome when its done, whether it works or not please get it on film!!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    That is gonna be awesome when its done, whether it works or not please get it on film!!
    I ordered a steel disk brake mount from Pacenti. It is made from 1/4 inch mild steel and I plan to use a 160mm disk wheel and an avid bb7 as a jig to get the alignment right. If I can't get disk brakes to work I will just braze on some canti mounts but I have seen other pre-war frames with disks so I am determined to make it work. It is probably a really stupid idea and completely impractical but it will be so awesome if I can pull it off. I may even do the paint myself.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Disc brakes and the plates to stop on you will have the stoppage solved but my main worry is almost a century of metal fatigue

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    Disc brakes and the plates to stop on you will have the stoppage solved but my main worry is almost a century of metal fatigue
    That is always a concern but honestly. I am 42 years old. My days of taking drops off of loading docks are over and my 36 Mercury which was made in the same factory and is practically identical has put up with lots of abuse. Truth be told I trust these about as much as some modern bikes.

I got the disk tab in today and tried it on for size. Untrimmed like this was a no-go. I would never be able to get the wheel on an off without messing with the brake.

So I trimmed it a bit, still rough but after some grinding and filing it should fit flush to the top of the seat stay. Then I will strip that primer back off, sand it with 80 grit so the brass can get a grip and then I will lay a fat bead in there. This way I can take the wheel off without any fuss.

mtbr member
    This thread is really exciting me. Really cool project.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Incredibly cool, love the dedication and fab skills. Really looking forward to the final product.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Admire your skills and the effort involved...it's a great project...looking forward to seeing the next update.

Steve

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I was brazing like crazy today. Clearly I still have alot to learn but i managed to get a nice heavy strong braze. The key is keeping the surrounding metal red hot so the brass flows. Getting the mount tacked into position was a *****. I used my disk wheel and clamped the brake in place on the rotor to serve as a jig. It worked and I got lucky. The brake lines up just fine. Still lots of file work and sanding to do but it feels super solid.

mtbr member
    Looks really cool. I'm always excited to see updates to this thread.

I would have been tempted to smooth all of the junctions between the dropouts and stays.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    Looks really cool. I'm always excited to see updates to this thread.

I would have been tempted to smooth all of the junctions between the dropouts and stays.
    I actually did that on the other side but I ran out of oxygen. I still need to braze a bit more on the back side of the disk mount because I have some pits from running out of oxygen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looks really good man for a first time braze it turned out nice

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    Nice!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    One thing for sure, if I ever do anything like this again I a getting a proper welding torch. The little bernzomatic kit I bought works pretty well but it is tough keeping the metal hot enough for the brass to flow over it. It would be fine for small stuff like cable guides but not big jobs.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    One thing for sure, if I ever do anything like this again I a getting a proper welding torch. The little bernzomatic kit I bought works pretty well but it is tough keeping the metal hot enough for the brass to flow over it. It would be fine for small stuff like cable guides but not big jobs.
    Not to mention the cost of the oxy cylinders. After a few clunker conversions I spent as much on those little red cans as I would have buying a good used kit.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Not to mention the cost of the oxy cylinders. After a few clunker conversions I spent as much on those little red cans as I would have buying a good used kit.
    Yep. I could have gotten a used setup with a cart, torches and tanks for $150 a while back. I regret not buying it. I went through 5 oxy cylinders at 9 bucks a pop and I am going to need at least one more for the cable stops.

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    awesome project!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh, man! That is one gorgeous frame! I love the curve of the top tubes and the fillet, even rusty they look just perfect! Please do fill every dip and file to hair-losing perfection, oh the beauty! I am so green with envy now and am heading over to CL to see if there's anything there so graceful...

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    This week I scored a Giant AC1 with a cracked frame super cheap. Along with some newer XT bits, Race Face cranks and a Manitou Sherman fork it had these lovely Hope M4's. Overkill? Yes. But they sure are pretty.

mtbr member
    Not overkill AT ALL. This project deserves all the bling more than any of those fancy shmancy frames

You, sir, are doing this frame a great justice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks really nice, can't wait to see it finished. Commented to subscribe!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Looks really nice, can't wait to see it finished. Commented to subscribe!
    hee hee, nice screen name.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Glad to see another LOTR nerd that caught that!

Sandmangts, this is beyond awesome, love seeing the updates!

frog

mtbr member
    Wow, what a project, excellent work.
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Glad to see another LOTR nerd that caught that!
    Haha, Cheers! For some reason I really liked the story of Isildur when I first read it way back in my early teens (early ninties) in LOTR & Silmarillion

Back on topic: Looking forward for the next update! Can't wait to see how it finishes up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone else out there done this with a 20's or thirties vintage frame. I'd really like to do one of those. I really like the roaring 29er Tony Pereira built, just can't afford one.
    The Truth will set you free.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast