mountaingoatcycles.com

How to build a Klunker, 1980 Trailmaster Koski catalog

If you ever wanted to build a Klunker, circa 1980, here is the instruction manual, the Koski/Trailmaster catalog from 1980. This has all of the components that were available back then. Most of these parts were not brand new in 1980 so they would have been used on the earlier bikes as well. I scanned 39 pages which can be found @ http://mombat.org/Koski.htm

Couple of sample pages:

mtbr member
    Awesome stuff-thanks!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    This is gonna be good!
    I appreciate this one,
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

IllumaDucati
    I haven't seen it in years, but somewhere around here I still have the copy of this same Trailmaster catalog that I ordered from an ad in Bicycling! back in 1980, the same year I bought a 1946 Schwinn and laced up some aluminum wheels for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Laguna- check

Cook Bros- check

ProCruiser- check

Champion- check

Breezer-.......uh no and probably not gonna happen in this lifetime!

Great scans thanks for those.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great stuff!

Excuse my ignorance, but can someone school me (us) on the relationship between:

- The Koski brothers
    - Trailmaster
    - Cove Bike Shop

Are they all one in the same?

Built4Speed
    Thanks Jeff. I bookmarked it.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

mountaingoatcycles.com

IllumaDucati
    Here's where you'll find Don Koski today: Koski Snowsports

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Cove Bike Shop had the largest selection of 26" Cruiser/BMX bikes of any shop in Marin. It helps to know that none of these bikes were equipped with a derailler hanger. The Trailmaster, Pro Cruiser, Breezer and Mountainbikes were the only frames that did (locally). By this time Repacks were over and only 2 more 'Norba' attempts were made. Therefore there was little use for a single speed bike. Most everyone involved in the group rides and trail riding (early mountainbiking) used multiple gears. I just looked thru my copy of this catalog and it's very nostalgic, many of the parts can apply to clunkers and can be seen in layouts at clunkers.net.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice catalog
    I had a copy of that get lost in my move maybe one day I will find it again. what a great bike shop the cove was.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    where was the cove bike shop?

Fan of 'Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03954&t=h&z=18

Retro on Steroids
    The Cove Shopping Center, Tiburon Boulevard and Blackfield Drive.

I went to high school with the Koskis. It was originally a bike and toy shop, until the three brothers reached their teens and changed the direction to strictly bikes. In the '70s the Cove was the BMX HQ for Marin, although the scene was pretty much non-existent next to L.A. The brothers were approachable for ordering special stuff like drum brakes. The Atom brake company suddenly noticed that nearly their entire production of tandem drum brake hubs was going to a couple of bike shops in a dinky part of the world, the Cove and the Mill Valley (Schwinn) cyclery, and asked WTF was going on.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks. I thought that was the one. I used to hang out there after school (Redwood) in the early '70's. My recollection was that it was a road bike centric place. I do recall they were really nice to me and gave me lots of education and good deals on upgrade parts for my Coppi even though I was a longhaired punk ass kid who road his Coppi in hiking boots most of the time! Of course we all did that then. Still have that bike.

My best bud lived in the apartments just up the hill above the blvd. Thems was the days.

Man, things sure look different there than they did then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    at the Cove Shopping Center on Tiburon Blvd. in Tiburon, Calif.

Retro on Steroids
    Man, things sure look different there than they did then.
    So do you.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    So do you.
    Did I know you then? How the heck do you know I look so different!

Yeah, I sure do. I gotta say, living down there at that point in my life carries a great many very happy memories. So carefree. Life was mostly about bicycles and riding. Next on the list was playing music. Anyone remember Prune Music in MV? Best guitar shop ever.

Used to commute on a single speed clunker (or the Coppi or any one of several other now-very-valuable-bikes-I-no-longer-own) from Tiburon to Redwood high via Paradise drive. Yes, in flannel shirt, baggy, ripped up 501's and hiking boots.

Same uniform was worn for shuttle rides to the top of Tam and fire roads down, though I had no idea of the 'movement' at that time.

Even in the 70's there were GREAT bike paths all over the place and boy did I ever use them.