Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I can hardly find one of his creations that I don't think is awesome. When i get around to replacing my "made in china" road/cyclocross machine... you better believe he is going to be on the short list. May take some time, though, as i tend to hang on to bikes for a while...

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Good news and bad. Decals are shipping to the frame guy, so almost done. But... The painter mixed up the colors on two frames, mine being one, and the builder's NAHBS submission being the other (DOH!).

So hopefully that will get corrected quickly. Only have a little over a week left to make it in time for a birthday present (not looking likely, now... sad face). But still very close!

-Damon

mtbr member
    Go with the NAHBS job
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Have you been talking to my wife? She said the same thing... Email sent to the builder, too :-)

-Damon

mtbr member
    If you don't dig it they should be able to get it redone for you later. But you could get riding sooner, and likely have an awesome show-quality paint job.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I think it is just a powder base coat before he does his artsy thing, but a picture will tell. With any luck he'll send one tonight that I will share.

Either way, I'm pretty stoked to be in the home stretch. Just a few components left to get, and I'll be ready to roll!

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Not a picture of my frame, but here is the color (the blue grey, not the green). I do dig the color, but i think the black decals on order/being made right now may not look good with it. What do you guys think?

black cat bicycles: Chug-a-Lug

mtbr member
    Twood certainly be stealthy. I might chose silver, but the understated black on blue-grey might look pretty rad.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    First of all, that's hot. Gray with black is awesome.

Second of all, I doubt you're able to wait anyway. Stick them on and ride like hell, D!

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Yeah, it certainly is hot, but the more I look at it, the more I think I am going to pass and go with the original pearl white. What can I say, I'm a patient man... The black on grey is a little too aggro for this bike, and the majority of my components are silver or grey, which wouldn't look very good, methinks. I'm certainly not going to start over with the component shopping.

For me, my Phoenix is about fun, good times, and good memories - not a ninja death sneak attack...

mtbr member
    I really like that color (and that bike)! I say go with it. Will hunt for an RD for you tomorrow.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    C'mon, go with the gray. Pearl white looks boring as heck. I would love my Phoenix to be that color. Nate's green is amazing. Be bold.

Help, FB!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    ok - so imagine that color with silver cranks, brakes... pretty much everything, with mavic rims in the citron/sunset ano... does that combo sound good to you? Color matching really ain't my thing, so i may be missing something, but it just seems wrong.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    ok - so imagine that color with silver cranks, brakes... pretty much everything, with mavic rims in the citron/sunset ano... does that combo sound good to you? Color matching really ain't my thing, so i may be missing something, but it just seems wrong.
    neither one of those

no

just no
    looking for 20-21" P team

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    no

just no
    Somebody would hafta to swap me some rims, because that is what i already have built up

artistic...
    Go w/ the blue grey!
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Well, now that my frame is getting close to being done, i need to do something about the roller cam brakes i purchased for the rear. As was (very) helpfully pointed out to me, the roller cam is not the working solution for the phoenix because the seat stays are so short. There isn't enough room for the cable to wrap around the seatpost and then go straight again in the middle of the frame. Thus, the toggle cam was invented, and Cunningham said it was good.

So, I don't have the bucks for a genuine toggle cam, but i do have the coins for a budget suntour roller cam brake and a few raw materials. While not quite done, a few hours, a dremel and a bandsaw has gotten me to this point.

Many thanks to FilletBrazed for letting me check out his Phoenix and take a little tracing of his toggle cam plate and get some measurements. I just hope my part works when all is said and done...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-cam.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-cam2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    On a side note, would a short cable hanger work?
    as long as che cable aligns with the pulleys and the angle can be fixed (with or without screw
    ).

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to keep it WTB style, which uses a clean little cable guide loop on the side and the side-actuated toggle cam. Fine suggestion, though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    great idea - charlie will be proud of you

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Thanks Levi - it is a little hacky looking, but i figure it is in the spirit of the early WTB days...

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    So she is now pretty much built up and rideable (still need to do some cable management and other odds and ends). Not totally satisfied with the build by any means, but it is getting there. I just had a couple free minutes to snap off a couple pics while it was still daylight.

I am still trying to figure out my (mono-chrome) color scheme, but I ended up really digging the sunset ano rims with the understated grey w/silver decal frame. The homebrew toggle cam works really well and feels solid. I had to break out the dremel on a few bits to get all the pieces to clear, but i like how tidy it is and how it feels tailored to this frame. Next, i think i have a nice thick plate of aluminum that should work for a brace.

I'm trying a 2x8 drivetrain for the first time, so i'll see if i dig that gearing... if not I have a set of old XT cranks that can go on here. Maybe something modern, but I've always wanted a set of Syncros Revolution cranks...

Things I want to swap:
    The junk seat for a proper WTB SST saddle
    The fork for something that works halfway decently
    The front tube for one that doesn't have a slow leak
    The stem for a slightly higher rise model (thinking syncros cattleprod)
    The bars for a flat bar variety (thinking syncros here, too)

I've got other little ideas and projects for the bike to make it a little more interesting/special, but those are down the road. I need to get it dirty first

And I'll try to work on my photography skills, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-phoenix1.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-phoenix2.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-phoenix3.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-phoenix4.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-phoenix5.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-phoenix6.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-phoenix7.jpg  

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I've always felt that the Phoenix, and any other bike that was designed for singletrack, is aggro. I dig the gray-and-black.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, is that ever a lot of seatpost. How does the rear brake work?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Thanks Vlad. The bike definitely is a bit more "aggro" looking than with the original pearl white paint, but I like it.

Uphiller, I'll be the first to admit that I am on the upper end for this frame size, but keep in mind that this frame was designed in the days of no suspension, so a long seat post and a long stem were considered the ways to soften up the ride. The long seatpost is pretty typical for the Phoenix frame (and is really quite comfy).
    The rear brake is a homebrew toggle cam. The cable pulls on the right side of the cam plate and it pivots around an adjuster/bolt on the left side. It does work quite well and feels nicely solid despite not having any sort of booster. It is not the lightest setup, but this is no weight weenie bike. The cool part about using the cam plate is that you can get a ton of rim clearance while still getting a lot of clamping power. It really is a nice rim brake design.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast