Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    human dehumidifier
    FWIW my 96 w/ 135 mm and v-brakes has the ritchey drops but plain braze-ons.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    My '94 Phoenix, has Ritchey dropout, 135mm rear spacing, and RC and TC bosses.
    And 1" steer tube!!!!!!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    my 96 has 140mm spacing. Personally, I think you should keep it 140mm. I know you're impatient but they're out there (mine is a Chris King hub) and if you're going to do it, it would be cool for you to do it right, not just make it universal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alasa View Post
    My '94 Phoenix, has Ritchey dropout, 135mm rear spacing, and RC and TC bosses.
    And 1" steer tube!!!!!!
    I think they all have Ritchey dropouts, but somewhere around 95 they went to the socket-style dropout.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    I think they all have Ritchey dropouts, but somewhere around 95 they went to the socket-style dropout.
    Oh yeah good point that could be true - mine has the socket style dropout as expected.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    While i think the socket style dropout is probably functionally better, I really like the scalloped transition between the stays and the dropout on my plate style dropout. Dave - what did you call that again? French something or other?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    I'm just happy my poor ol' dirty Phoenix got to go on a field trip and come back all clean and shiny. Thanks Damon!
    Cute.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    riding an 80mm on a frame ready for 63 won't be that dramatic. You can find a marzocchi and run substantial sag. It's what i do here and it works great. Or you coud just mod the fork into 63mm. doable.
    I'm looking at picking up a fork now and am going back and forth between a RS SID and a Marzocchi. Any recommendations (model/year)? I've never ridden either, and the Judy I had on there is all but dead.

...The frame decals are ordered, the rollercam bosses are in and about to be brazed on, and spacing set to 140mm.

Thanks,
    -Damon

clunker
    I'm a fan of the Marz (I have a late 90s Z2 X Fly on my 94) especially as they will press a 1" steerer into any fork they make and can drop the travel to your needs. If I had a 1 1/8" steerer the SID would be hard to pass up - about 400g lighter. Maybe RS will press a 1" steerer? I never checked.
    ...strictly downhill...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb49 View Post
    I'm a fan of the Marz (I have a late 90s Z2 X Fly on my 94) especially as they will press a 1" steerer into any fork they make and can drop the travel to your needs. If I had a 1 1/8" steerer the SID would be hard to pass up - about 400g lighter. Maybe RS will press a 1" steerer? I never checked.
    I've got a Marz Bomber Z2. It's a coil shock and prefer air forks on hardtails.. Having said that the Z2 takes care of itself and i have done zero maintenance in 14 yrs of owning this thing. I don't touch it. it keeps working.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    My preference is definitely for an air fork, for many of the reasons already stated. I've only ever ridden an entry level...MX-Pro? Whatever came on my base model Kona in 2003. It was a fine fork, but way overbuilt for what I am looking for.

I just don't know the early marzocchi models very well, so that is why I am looking for suggestions about which (air) model would best be adapted to the Phoenix. A Superfly? A Z2 x-Fly (is that one?)?

I'm sure the SID would be fine, I'm just curious about other options.

clunker
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    My preference is definitely for an air fork, for many of the reasons already stated. I've only ever ridden an entry level...MX-Pro? Whatever came on my base model Kona in 2003. It was a fine fork, but way overbuilt for what I am looking for.

I just don't know the early marzocchi models very well, so that is why I am looking for suggestions about which (air) model would best be adapted to the Phoenix. A Superfly? A Z2 x-Fly (is that one?)?
    I'm sure the SID would be fine, I'm just curious about other options.
    My Z2 X-Fly is air - I am not 100% but pretty sure alll the FLY models are air. It works great with the Phoenix, especially at 60mm.

The bike had a Z2 Bomber (oil bath spring) when I got it that was also good, still have it but it needs service.

I used a 1" MX Comp Air 80mm on this klunker project - that would be the newest Marz sold with the 1" steerer.

...strictly downhill...

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Well, the frame is finally going under the toch. So far, the paint has been stripped, which unveiled... history. Quite a few dents (mostly really small - Xs mark the spots), but also some pinholes in the seat tube and some crusty rusty bits on the stays. The pin holes will be filled with silver and the stays will probably get some brass filling them in. Nothing structurally concerning, and I like that the builder is caring about this and letting me know what he's doing to fix them.

Things are starting to move...

Now i just hope the decals are finished sometime in the near future (i have received several "almost done" e-mails from Velo Cals). I'm sure it'll all get done in the end. I just need to get all this together before my birthday next month

-Damon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-003.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-004.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-009.jpg  

Hoping to resto-mod my WTB Phoenix (long-ish)-010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The pinholes indicate a structural issue to me. It's rusting from the inside out.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly View Post
    The pinholes indicate a structural issue to me. It's rusting from the inside out.
    I'll ask the builder, but I trust his judgement. It is a good reminder to coat the inside with frame saver, though...

human dehumidifier
    If you've got holes then it's going to be rusted thin spreading back away from them. Good luck.

Titanium junkie
    Well, the frame is finally going under the toch. So far, the paint has been stripped, which unveiled... history. Quite a few dents (mostly really small - Xs mark the spots), but also some pinholes in the seat tube and some crusty rusty bits on the stays. The pin holes will be filled with silver and the stays will probably get some brass filling them in. Nothing structurally concerning, and I like that the builder is caring about this and letting me know what he's doing to fix them.

Things are starting to move...

Now i just hope the decals are finished sometime in the near future (i have received several "almost done" e-mails from Velo Cals). I'm sure it'll all get done in the end. I just need to get all this together before my birthday next month

-Damon
    I got my Airborne decals done from VeloCals, top quality work, but very, very slow. Keep
    contacting him, that's what I had to do to get them done. Good luck.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    I got my Airborne decals done from VeloCals, top quality work, but very, very slow. Keep
    contacting him, that's what I had to do to get them done. Good luck.
    Latest update is this Tuesday (tomorrow) . It isn't holding things up (yet), but it is almost getting to that point...

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Decals are now done and on order:

Results for WTB Wilderness Trail Bikes

He still needs to clarify his model years of decal set better, but I have the early (roundier "phoenix" font) style on order. "Next Tuesday" took a couple weeks.

m o t o !
    This tiny holes are sings of deeper corrosion damage from the outside. At least at my steel bikes this was the case and I do know that because I grinded and smoothed down them by hand.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Thanks for all the concerns about the frame, but the frame guy has the best perspective on this (both experience and having the frame in hand). He says it'll be OK, and is taking steps to mitigate any possible problem. I am confident the frame will be just fine... and if not, it has had a good life. I think it'll last a lot longer, though.

velocipede technician
    who's doing the work on the frame?
    looking for 20-21" P team

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty

VRC Illuminati
    My buddy has one of their bikes. Cool stuff.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast