mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Hoo Koo E Koo Resuscitation

My first mountain bike, a 1997 GF Hoo Koo E Koo, was good to me but took a beating over the years. I rode it all over NH and VT. All over CT and PA. Took it to MT and CO and had lots of fun with it in Moab. But like any story of relationship failure, I didn't take good care of it, and started seeing someone else: a Klein Quantum Race. Fun as that road bike still is, I moved to a place with 18 miles of single track just a mile away from my house. I decided to take a look at my old HKEK. Well, that old thing was beat up and past it's prime. It had slicks on it, the paint was all chipped, cables were stretched, chain and cogs rusty and gooey with gunk, and its Rock Shox Indy was loose as Mary Magdalene. I was using it to pull our kids in a trailer to the beach. I decided to rekindle my relationship with the bike. First thing one does when one gets back together with an old frame? Get naked.
    Hoo Koo E Koo Resuscitation-img_2067.jpg
    Last edited by Y Guy; 10-24-2013 at 06:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So I took the old frame to a powder coater. When I put the frame in the car, I was surprised by how light the old steel frame was...I thought it would be way heavier. Anyway, at the powder coater I had to choose a color. I ride a lot in hunting season, so Safety Yellow seemed like a good idea.

Hoo Koo E Koo Resuscitation-img_2069.jpg
    Last edited by Y Guy; 10-24-2013 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ordered a GF decal set on eBay for $4.95. They went on easy and clean. After looking around at tools, I decided I would try to DIY things as much as I could. Here's my head set press: a threaded bar, a few nuts, eight washers (four at each end) and two 2x4 blocks at the presses. The pine used in the 2x4s was soft enough not to damage the head set cups. I took my time rearranging the press to make sure I pushed the cups down evenly. Total cost of the press was $7 at Lowe's.

Hoo Koo E Koo Resuscitation-img_2071.jpg

Hoo Koo E Koo Resuscitation-img_2072.jpg

Hoo Koo E Koo Resuscitation-img_2073.jpg

Next up is getting the fork installed!