Thread: Hite Rite

Track Junkie

Hite Rite

So I was digging through the garage, when I found this. IIRC, this is the precursor to the dropper seat post.

What's the story behind these? Were they popular? When were they sold? Any value to them?

-B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hite Rite-img_1613.jpg  

Hite Rite-img_1612.jpg  

I get paid to ride shotgun.

VRC Illuminati
    Period correct for 80's bikes. A lot were made and they don't tend to have all that much value unless complete and in good shape. eBay search will give you value. Mostly on period correct bikes, but definitely something that'll work as well as any gravity dropper post.

BikePro.com / Buyer's Guide / Hite Rite Seatpost - Bicycle Parts at discount prices / the Buyer's Guide / Bicycle Parts at their finest! / Professional Bicycle Source / Bike Pro
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I tried to bring back the Hite Rite in 2000-2001, talked to Joe Breeze, he was all in, but apparently Angell was not.
    I designed a clamp that would attach to any frame( the Hite Rite was designed around a brazed on clamp, where if you used a current seat collar, it would rotate) that would not rotate and would either have a handlebar remote or the standard QR. Joe came back that if I wanted to buy some HR's, for my idea, I would have to buy the whole lot, I think at that time he had 5000 of them at $10 ea., so it didn't happen. I went back to the drawing board and designed the first remotely controlled height adjustable seatpost in 2001, which are the current rage right now, although I don't get the credit, Gravity Dropper was the first to market, after seeing my prototype at Sea Otter, I know, as well as Zap from Road Bike Action( Mountain Bike editor at the time) as well as several others will or should acknowledge, but, I'm not bitter, just working on the better mousetrap, as far as height adjustable seatpost's are concerned.

Sorry to rob this post to state my case....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I tried to bring back the Hite Rite in 2000-2001, talked to Joe Breeze, he was all in, but apparently Angell was not.
    I designed a clamp that would attach to any frame( the Hite Rite was designed around a brazed on clamp, where if you used a current seat collar, it would rotate) that would not rotate and would either have a handlebar remote or the standard QR. Joe came back that if I wanted to buy some HR's, for my idea, I would have to buy the whole lot, I think at that time he had 5000 of them at $10 ea., so it didn't happen. I went back to the drawing board and designed the first remotely controlled height adjustable seatpost in 2001, which are the current rage right now, although I don't get the credit, Gravity Dropper was the first to market, after seeing my prototype at Sea Otter, I know, as well as Zap from Road Bike Action( Mountain Bike editor at the time) as well as several others will or should acknowledge, but, I'm not bitter, just working on the better mousetrap, as far as height adjustable seatpost's are concerned.

Sorry to rob this post to state my case....
    cool story though....always like to hear about the inner happenings.

Klunker Kev`
    I have one on one of the Kuwaharas. A young guy asked me how well that suspension seat post worked....
    Wanted: Ritchey built Frame/Fork 85 or earlier.

mtbr member
    Bought one off Craig's list for my 82 stumpy for $5 yesterday.

Stokeless Asshat
    Wasn't there a hinged, remote post back in the late 80's early 90's? I recall seeing one fail on the opening climb of The Cow Mountain Classic in Lake County Ca.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Track Junkie
    Thanks for the info guys! Greats history here. Too bad the small clamp doesn't fit today's larger seatpost diameters.

Jeff, I vaguely remember a seatpost that was two parallel posts, and it would pivot backwards and downward in an arc. Don't remember the name though.

-B

mtbr member
    Thudbuster?

Stokeless Asshat
    Not a suspension post but an actual dropper of sorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    Thudbuster?

Want:

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Hite Rite

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Wasn't there a hinged, remote post back in the late 80's early 90's? I recall seeing one fail on the opening climb of The Cow Mountain Classic in Lake County Ca.
    PowerPost. Mid-'90s.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Hite Rite

Quote Originally Posted by Octane View Post
    So I was digging through the garage, when I found this. IIRC, this is the precursor to the dropper seat post.

What's the story behind these? Were they popular? When were they sold? Any value to them?

-B
    I have 5-6 (including Race-Hite, Extra-Hite versions and original oversize post clamps) in my parts box and two on bikes. Made my own clamp-on frame mounts.

Never spent more than $12 even for new in package.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I bought this HR for my first mountain bike, used it quite a bit, took it off when I started racing, it lived on a shelf for years. Then found it a home a few years back on my old FAT.
    Hite Rite-fathiterite.jpg

Stokeless Asshat
    It was definitely spring/summer of 1990. Maybe a proto.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    PowerPost. Mid-'90s.

Want:

Hite Rite

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    It was definitely spring/summer of 1990. Maybe a proto.
    Six reviews between '96 and '00
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/sea...76_141crx.aspx

No pic, though.
    mtbtires.com

Track Junkie
    here's a thread with images of PowerPost. That's the old "dropper" post that I was thinking of...

KS i950 adjustable height post

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Your right octane and Jeff, there was a post in the early 90's that pivoted backwards and forwards, can't remember the name of it though. While that post effectively or ineffectively change the position of your saddle, it is nothing like the current height adjustable seatpost's like we have today. I was the person who created the first modern type of adjustable height post, I used a Hite Rite back in the 80's, figured that's the way a height adjustable post should work. Anyway, it really doesn't matter anymore, I'm playing catch up now to develop something better, it's just taking a while to perfect it, it will be one of those"why didn't I think of that" products.

velocipede technician
    When did ird make the remote?
    looking for 20-21" P team

Hite Rite

Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    When did ird make the remote?
    Early '90s. Remember when Thomsberg show up at a local race with one on his bike.
    I have one of those, too. The throw is too short to work with current seat collars.
    mtbtires.com