Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004

High Zoot Stealth

Does anyone remember High Zoot bikes? Other than the info that Google can turn up, does anyone know anything about them? I just got myself a Stealth frame in a trade for an old Judy...sweet deal!

They list it on the old Bike Pro site...

This one is canti-only.

I need to snap some pics...

rb

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A Dutch shop had one for a long time. Build up with the very best parts. They had trouble selling it even at 50%. It was still very costly.
    [SIZE="15"][/SIZE]le Cadre Custom Bicycles; www.lecadre-bicycles.com/wp

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Here's a couple shots. pre resto...

I know it's not all that vintage, but I figure anything on the BikePro site is fair game!
    Attached Images Attached Images

artistic...
    i remember high zoot. is it as good as a santa cruz heckler?
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I might still have a catalog/brochure. I'll see if I can dig it up today.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Thanks Mike! It looks like I'm going to have to fabricate a shock mount, so all the direction I can get would be great!

Who knew the local hardware store would have the exact hardened SAE 3/8 inch bore pivot bolts it took, too!

It's sort of neo-retro...looks a little like the late 90's early 00's Haro Extremes...

rb

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    RB, here it is. It appears that High Zoot was the name of the bicycle side of Via Tech which itself was a subsidiary of Simula, Inc. (apparently a defense/aerospace contractor - sound familiar - the bike/aerospace/early 90's thing that is) in Phoenix, AZ. The frame you have is the Stealth frame it appears was developed with Conejo and the Raglands of trophy truck fame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Zoot was fantastic

Late to this post, new to the board, but I have both frames -- the High Zoot Stealth (in clearcoat carbon) and its aluminum twin the Conejo Rabbit.

Zoot S/N 10026
    Conejo S/N 1001

Both bikes completely were the greatest. I bent my Zoot's derailleur hanger then sent it to Conejo for repair. They ended up saying they couldn't fix it so they put a new rear end on it. I wish I could have gotten the old rear end back because the new was not only much heavier, but there's really no way to fit a front derailleur onto the frame without cutting away a cross brace of the swingarm. Such is the life of owning a one-off.

I'd sure like to get the original swingarm back. Conejo said it was breaking for people, but I never had a problem with it and raced it a bunch in the messy East Coast rocks & roots way back when.

The Rabbit was also great and worked with the rear swingarm because it didn't have the very large moulding around the bottom bracket.

I built up my High Zoot with the High Zoot carbon seatpost and handlebar (which were also excellent) and the extra-charge High Zoot seatpost clamp (can you believe they charged extra for that?) and in keeping with the carbon theme, the carbon-legged Amp F4 BLT front fork. That was a flexy but wonderful fork for its time.

Please post if you've built up the Zoot. I bet you'll like it! The swingarm's stainless bushings last forever.

After the Zoot I was done with one-off's and bought an Intense Tracer. For XC riding that thing is just totally indestructible.

I can offer other stories such as about the Fox shock but since I'm not sure this'll even get viewed I'll leave it at that.

Happy riding!

Peter
    Last edited by binkymtb; 09-25-2008 at 05:39 PM.