mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Here's my latest, 1984 Stumpjumper SC

After a few adjustments from the LBS, my 1984 Stumpjumper SC is ready to roll! I found it on Ebay, and was the sole bidder for it about 2 weeks ago. It was all original components, with the exception of tires and saddle, and it came without pedals. I turned to Ebay once again and was able to buy a pair of Suntour SC2 pedals,and an Avocet Touring saddle to keep it time period correct. It came with barely used Specialized Crossroads street tires. After cleaning it up and waxing it the night it arrived, there were a few things I needed the shop to do for me. Removing the pie plate from the freewheel and the rear wheel needed some truing. Small adjustments were made to the brakes and gears, and that was it. The pedals and saddle were installed last night, and it was ready to go. Other than a few non rusted scratches on the frame, it's in great shape. I took it for a quick local spin last night, and it was fun and fast!
    Despite the cries from those here that insist vintage bikes should be ridden on the trail as intended, it will be ridden on the streets mostly, and some light trails. First, I have no desire to be banged around on a rigid steel frame, and second, it something breaks in a crash, it could be tough to replace parts. The bike is a nice compliment to my 1985 Stumpjumper. I've always loved the biplane fork and flared chain stays on the pre '85 SJ's. I haven't ridden one since the summer of 1986 when my '84 SJ was stolen.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 83stumpjumper; 11-07-2012 at 07:24 AM.

CS2
    mtbr member
    That is a very very nice looking bike. Is this the bike we talked about?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Very nice find!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

1984 sj sc

Yes, that's the bike we discussed. It really is in great shape. A previous owner put a kickstand on it (WHY?!) and crimped the tubes by the bottom bracket a little. No affect on the frame thankfully, just cosmetic. I'm glad it came with Specialized tires, that saved me the cost of having to by a pair. I'm eager to give it a good ride to get a real feel for it. Now I'm just waiting for an '84 SJ in my size and grey to surface. Cause I'll buy that one too!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 83stumpjumper View Post
    Yes, that's the bike we discussed. It really is in great shape. A previous owner put a kickstand on it (WHY?!) and crimped the tubes by the bottom bracket a little. No affect on the frame thankfully, just cosmetic. I'm glad it came with Specialized tires, that saved me the cost of having to by a pair. I'm eager to give it a good ride to get a real feel for it. Now I'm just waiting for an '84 SJ in my size and grey to surface. Cause I'll buy that one too!
    What size is the bike you just got? What size are you looking for?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It's a 21 inch frame. That's my size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Nice, Would you mind telling what you paid? I'm thinking about thinning my herd of bikes. Haven't been to lucky selling w/craigslist. Just about ready to go EBAY

I have an 84 stumpy sport thats a real tank. Very similar to yours. You're going to like the ride.

You still have the red one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Here's my latest, 1984 Stumpjumper SC-sjs.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sapo,
    Yup, still have the red 1985 Stumpjumper, it's a keeper. For the '84 I paid $500 plus another $100 for shipping. The price seemed reasonable to me, it still does now that I have it. I paid $100 for the used Suntour XC2 pedals, too much, and another $60 for the Avocet Touring saddle, again too much. I need them to get the bike time frame accurate though, so I paid. Another $65 to have a few things tuned up at the LBS. So about $800 when all was said and done. Worth it to me. I would have prefered if it was a straight Stumpjumper model as opposed to the SC, and that it was grey. That would have made it perfect. This is all about trying to fill an emotional void I've had from when my '84 SJ was stolen back in summer of 1986. I figure this is as close as I'll ever get.
    That's a clean looking SJ Sport you have there. Great looking city rider. LMK what it ends up selling for. You just have to find a buyer who loves the vintage Specialized bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It's a fun hobby. I think I probably enjoy the searching and the finding and then the negotiation more than I enjoy the bike after i've got it. Because after I get the bike and get it all fixed up? First thing I do is start searching again.

Plus you get the ocasional rider who appreciates the vintage classic you have. Or on the negative side, peole like my wife who point out an outdoorsman harvesting recycleables from a dumpster. "Hey! That looks like your bike."

I think you did well with your purchase. I usually end up spending $400-500 fixing up $100 craigslist bikes. Maybe another $200 on accessories like grips, seat and tires, so you're gonna pay one way or the other to have it how you want it.
    Last edited by El Sapo Rojo; 11-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Took it out for an extended ride today. Very comfortable position to ride in being so upright. Can't say enough about the Deerhead derailures, they're smooth and put me right in gear. Who needs index when you have friction shifters this smooth? I have no regrets about what the bike cost me, I'm not going to miss any meals because of it. Vintage SJ's in such good condition with all original parts are scarce, I'm glad I was able to give this one the home it deserves.