Humanoid Lobster

Here's my Handsome XO XO, brought to you by the letter "R"

R for retro, as in VRC. This one was made this year, or maybe last year. It's my EP bike for the year, because I could not resist temptation when I saw the shop owner ordering hers.

It's a close copy of a 1993 Bridgestone XO-1. The geometry is the same, and the color scheme is the same. I'm not sure if they got the color "right" or not, but it is a nice orange. This one is TIG welded out of Reynolds 631 in a land across the sea. The braze-ons are a bit different, and it has Breezer style rear dropouts. I almost did not buy it because my Bontrager Racelite is orange, but I decided that I was being petty. Orange is the best color for a bicycle after all.

I built my 53cm up with a mishmash of parts bin components. It's got some XC Pro, a 7 speed Deore XT drivetrain with Ultegra down tube shifters. The parts are just stuff I thought I might as well use instead of hoarding. When Bicycling reviewed the original in 1992 they ended their review with "The irony is, (the) '87 model's flared-end Nitto drop bar would have been the perfect choice for the XO-1". Mine has a Nitto Dirt Drop stem and a WTB RM-2 bar.

I've only been out with it a bit on the street in NYC. It's a really fun bike for city riding. The small 26" wheels paired with 73/73.5 frame angles make it handle with agility, and it climbs like a goat. Handsome said that it will handle some 2.1 tires without fenders, so I'm going to try it out with some knobbies sometime soon. For commuting I'm running 26x1.25 skinwall Pasela's.

Sorry if it offends anyone's 'vintage' mellow, or if the slicks rile up the anti-Klein folks. There is enough vintage going on with it that I thought some might be interested.

Here's my Handsome XO XO, brought to you by the letter "R"-xoxo-07-25-13-001.jpg

Here's my Handsome XO XO, brought to you by the letter "R"-xoxo-07-25-13-002.jpg

Here's my Handsome XO XO, brought to you by the letter "R"-xoxo-07-25-13-003.jpg
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Great pumpkin color match. I secretly wanted one of those.

Lots of funnies in your comments. Looks great jakzilla. Are you commuting on it? Aren't you worried about it getting stolen? It's fancy looking.

the new Gilbert Grape
    And this thread is why "Retro" is included in the forum name.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    And this thread is why "Retro" is included in the forum name.
    Absolutely.

VRC Hound
    NIce one.

mtbr member
    Wow. I thought I was relatively up to date on bikes, and I hadn't even heard of those. I really, really like that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    isn't that a road bike?

mtbr member
    That's nice, can't wait to borrow it. Thanks for sharing.

@zygote, Jack mentions it can use 2.1 tires for trails in his original post.

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    isn't that a road bike?
    That's funny, all the roadies say "isn't that a mountain bike?"

It's a very odd mountain bike. It was designed as an all-rounder. I've got it set up currently with skinny slicks, but as stated above it will accept (most) 26x2.1 tires. The geometry is more like a road bike with very upright head and seat angles. If you do a Google search for "Bridgestone XO-1" you'll see them set up in just about every way imaginable. There's been a lot written about that bike. It is an odd bike, and it confused prospective buyers to the point that it's been said to be Bridgestone's worst selling bike.

I wanted a bike that was very different than my other bikes, and this does that in spades. I had the downtube shifters already, and I wanted to run them just because I could. I grew up riding road bikes with downtube levers, and I kind of wanted to say goodbye to them. I can already tell that it won't be long before I put on the barcons though.

I really like it a lot so far. It's incredibly comfortable. I've tried WTB (offroad) drops several times and never really gotten comfortable on them. On this bike they feel great. It sometimes feels like it needs a little bit more reach, I might end up trying a Nitto MT-3 stem with the RM-2.

This will never be an East Coast singletracker (I *have* a bunch of those bikes!), but I am really looking forward to trying it on some trails. I've got some 1.95 folding Ritchey tires that I'm going to try in a bit. I want to get used to the bikes handling before I do that. (And depending upon where you live, I just might ride on streets as rough as some of your trails.)

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Are you commuting on it? Aren't you worried about it getting stolen? It's fancy looking.
    I'm lucky that one job is a bike shop, and the other has parking which is line-of-sight to a security guard and is covered by cameras.

Thanks for the compliments! You should recognize some of the parts, you've traded with me a few times. The wheels are the WTB/Wheelsmith wheels you sent me a few years back, and the BB came from you. There are parts from 2 or 3 other VRC'ers on it as well.

artistic...
    that is so sexy. who cares if it's in between every bike category?
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    So I've spent some time pondering this bike. And what is throwing me is the measurements. I'm 6'2, so I would typically ride a 60 or 61. I ride a 20 or 21" mountain frame. Road frames just fit differently than mountain frames as we all know, and this is stuck somewhere in between. I'd want one set up similar to what you have, with 26" wheels. I think? Maybe? Would I be better served with the 60 or the 56? I guess my long-winded way of asking this question is - how the heck do you size one?

For the record, I really like their "Shop Bike" as well. Steel frame, steel fork, coaster brake. What's not to love?

Humanoid Lobster
    Mine is sized exactly as I would ride a road bike. It's 53cm with a 55cm top tube, the only difference is the wheel size and it really works for me.

I'd guess that the 60 would be your best bet. They measure them center to top according to my tape measure.

If you're after one off the rack I would do it sooner rather than later. One of the sizes (56?) is sold out.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    Mine is sized exactly as I would ride a road bike. It's 53cm with a 55cm top tube, the only difference is the wheel size and it really works for me.

I'd guess that the 60 would be your best bet. They measure them center to top according to my tape measure.

If you're after one off the rack I would do it sooner rather than later. One of the sizes (56?) is sold out.
    exactly my size.. 53 c-c.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    [QUOTE/]For the record, I really like their "Shop Bike" as well. Steel frame, steel fork, coaster brake. What's not to love?[/QUOTE]

Me too... I did one up with 700c wheels.

Shopbike | Flickr - Photo Sharing!