GMF
    Mmm... Tasty

Help with retro-mod suspension fork project ideas

Hello - i have a somewhat technical question I could use some handy-folks opinion on. My latest project for my '94 Phoenix is to take a White Bros SC-70 fork chassis (31.8mm stantions), and graft in the stantions and guts from a 2007 RS Reba i just purchased. I'll then drop the travel from 80 to around 65 (or whatever ends up feeling right for this bike).

The main obstacle is that the stantions are pressed into the crown. I've already successfully "cryo" pressed in a 1" steerer into a 1 1/8" steerer fork, and have been using that with increasing lack of finesse with no problems so far. So as I look at it, I have a few crown/stantion options:

1) Try and ream the crown and press in the reba stantions like i did with the steerer before
    2) slot the crown a'la a bontrager fork crown and clamp the stantions and steerer in.
    3) Don't slot the crown, but use pinch bolts like a syncros threadless stem

I'm more inclined towards the second one, actually, as the chance of success seems higheest. I'm curious if you guys have seen a lot of fore/aft flex in the crown on bontrager style forks. I've ridden them in the past, and didn't notice anything, but I wasn't looking for it.
    Pure engineering performance says to preference the above 1, 3, 2 by keeping as continuous of a box structure as possible in the crown, but this may be a case of the reality of my riding style simply not caring that much about that incremental performance gain.

So anyway, if you have any suggestions on how to approach this, I'm all ears. Not really interested in the inevitable "why do this" or "sounds stupid" comments because i think a (eventually) toggle cam CNC-era fork with modern internals/performance sounds badass, and that's how I roll. Badass.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Badass.
    Indeed. Only a badass monkeys around like that with a part that could risk loss of teeth in case of failure.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Exactly. There are a lot of toothless engineers in the wake of suspension fork development. My dental insurance is through the roof.