Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Discovering riding again.
    Jun 2012

Listen! Help! Restoring Trek 930

I am hoping i posted this in the right forum and according to rules.

Hi guys,i have a Trek 930 lying around in my basement.I asked my landlord and he gave it to me for free.It is not in a bad shape but it is missing some parts.I have researched and found that it is a 1995 or 1996 model singletrack (No brochure for '96?).The rear wheel is missing and rest of it is there or thereabouts.I am looking to bring it back to life and use it as a commuter this summer.The components that i found on it are as follows.

Front wheel:Matrix singletrack pro 26' with tioga psycho 26x1.95
    Fork:Trek design full Chro-Moly
    Brakes:F/R Shimano M65/T w Alivio clamps
    Frame:OX Comp II Double butted Chro-Moly
    Handlebar: System 1
    Grip Shift 7 Speed Shimano SRT400
    Derailleur:F/R Shimano STX
    Crank:Shimano FC-MC32
    Hubset:Shimano Alivio parallax

Now its been sitting there and collecting dust and me being a noob haven't been able to figure out the condition of the drivetrain components.I have a small budget of restoring this bike <$100 and i will be working on it myself.I just don't know where to start and how to check the parts for wear and what to do to keep it under the budget.Help me out here guys!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good find (especially that it was given to you for free) and a fun project.

If it only missing the rear wheel, then that is where I would start. Check Craigslists for a used or new rear wheel. Keep in mind you are rolling with a 7 speed, so make sure the cassette is a 7 speed (7 gears on it). A tire and tube are an easy find.

After you get the new wheel mounted, then you can check the rest of the drive train (adjustments to shifting, etc...). If the chain is not worn, then probably a good cleaning and lube.

Hope this helps. Should get you pointed in the right direction. Well, at least it is a start...

Jun 2012
    Thanks for replying mtbzarg.

Yes i have been looking around Craigslist but nothing seems to turn up.Looks like people are keeping the Matrix singletrack pro rims in their garage.I see so many people have upgraded here on mtbr but the wheels are not coming up for sale.I'll have to keep looking.Might go to my LBS and try my luck.

What city tires would you recommend? cheap city tire tube combo for 26'

Please tell me how to tell the wear on parts like; derailleurs, crank set,chain so i may check if those are reusable.

Former Bike Wrench
    I used to sell and service those treks, I am very familiar with the 930. You can run a 8/9 speed rear wheel and use a 4.5mm cassette spacer behind a 7 speed cassette.

Matrix and System components were Trek house brands at the time. Basically what has now been replaced with Bontrager components.

Jun 2012
    Thanks, i will definitely use that in case my search for a singletrack pro rims turns up nothing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    I used to sell and service those treks, I am very familiar with the 930. You can run a 8/9 speed rear wheel and use a 4.5mm cassette spacer behind a 7 speed cassette.

Matrix and System components were Trek house brands at the time. Basically what has now been replaced with Bontrager components.

Yup, same thing I did with my sons bike. But if you only have a 7 speed shifter, then you need a 7 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersingle View Post
    Thanks for replying mtbzarg.

Yes i have been looking around Craigslist but nothing seems to turn up.Looks like people are keeping the Matrix singletrack pro rims in their garage.I see so many people have upgraded here on mtbr but the wheels are not coming up for sale.I'll have to keep looking.Might go to my LBS and try my luck.

What city tires would you recommend? cheap city tire tube combo for 26'

Please tell me how to tell the wear on parts like; derailleurs, crank set,chain so i may check if those are reusable.
    Here is an inexpensive street tire:

Michelin Country Rock Tire Black 26x1.75

As for tubes brand doesn't really matter. Just go with the most reasonable price you find. When I order from the website I referenced above you can get like 5 tubes for 15.00.

For servicing the parts you mentioned above I would do a visual inspection. Does the crankset/bottom bracket spin smoothly? Is the chain rusted and frozen? If they look good visually, then you would most likely need specialty tools to remove the crankset and check on the bearings. As for measuring chain wear you could use a tool like this:

Park CC-3.2C Chain Wear Indicator

As for the derailleurs you can check by hand to see if the move properly. For the rear derailleur make sure the cogs look good. Are the teeth worn or is there plenty of life left in them?

Here is a good reference point to start:

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Rear Derailleur Overhaul

I would start here.

Check with your LBS about a rear wheel. They may have one lying around.

mtbr member
    If you can maybe post up some pictures of parts in question.

Jun 2012
    Here are the pics that i took today.Can't seem to be able to upload them on mtbr so i used tinypic to host them.Dunno how long they will last.

All That is Man
    Oh man, that brings back so many good memories. The STX silent hub was the coolest I remember getting mine brand new in high school. I kept that sucker CLEAN. Donating that thing is one of my biggest life regrets.
    John

Ride More, Whine Less
    Here is what you want to strive for: My 930

I do have one spare rim if you are interested. There are no spokes or hub--just the hoop. It has hung in my garage for nearly 15 years with the thought I might use to repair another taco'd rim.

Flow like water
    Don't sweat the details. Any 26" rear wheel with a 7 speed cluster and a QR axle should fit just fine. You could buy an entire junk bike just to get a good rear wheel with cassette. The rims do not need to match. I'd get rolling using any wheel I could find. Later on, you can try to find original parts for it.

It's too nice a bike to let it just sit there. Congratulations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Here is what you want to strive for: My 930

I do have one spare rim if you are interested. There are no spokes or hub--just the hoop. It has hung in my garage for nearly 15 years with the thought I might use to repair another taco'd rim.
    To the OP: I'd take heyyall up on this offer and find a rear Paralax hub or some other correct vintage hub on ebay. Get your LBS to tell you what spoke lengths you need and sell you a spoke wrench and the spokes and then build the wheel yourself. Lots of good how-to's on the net for that. You'll save a ton of $ and learn lot. Building a wheel is very rewarding if you stick with it till you get it right.

That bike looks pretty good overall. I doubt it would have much wrong with it that bearing grease, new cables and new cable housings wouldn't fix.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I just wanted to chime in and echo the sentiment that I very much regret letting my singletrack 950 go.

That 930 is definitely worth investing in and putting back into service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior View Post
    That bike looks pretty good overall. I doubt it would have much wrong with it that bearing grease, new cables and new cable housings wouldn't fix.
    I agree. Everything looks pretty good. Just as Pollution Warrior stated - some bearing grease, new cables and housings and you should be good to go. This and getting a rear wheel.

Keep us updated on the progress. Would like to see the progress you make. It's a nice bike.

Jun 2012
    Thanks guys for all the encouragement.I will find a rear wheel to get it rolling just as you said @DavyRay

what nice 930 you have @heyyall, thats definitely what i am looking at.

It is a good bike @Pollution Warrior, just seems that the rear wheel got bent or stolen and the owner just abandoned it and moved on.

@Jon Thats why i am keen on getting it back to the streets as soon as possible.Its too good to be just sitting and eating dust.

@mtbzarg Sure, i will let all of you guys posted about my progress.It will be a learning experience for me since i have not worked with bikes before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Very cool. I'm in the process of bringing my 930 back from the dead to be my city/commuter bike. It was hanging in my parents' garage for the last 12 years. Still a work in progress. New wheelset is next.

Jun 2012
    Wow what a absolute beautiful machine you have there.You said that your looking for a new wheelset , so can i ask if the wheels are on sale?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by supersingle View Post
    Wow what a absolute beautiful machine you have there.You said that your looking for a new wheelset , so can i ask if the wheels are on sale?
    Quite possibly. The new wheels are on their way so I can let you know what happens after they show up. BTW, I'm also in Chicago.

Jun 2012
    First Update: I got Ritchey Vantage Comp wheels from my LBS.These fit my 930 and have a 26x1.25 tire installed on them.Now i am facing a problem.

I am able to run through all the 7 gears properly but i am not able to use the 3rd chaining which has 42 teeth (considering that the 930 crankset has 22/32/42 t).I saw the bicycle specs for 1993 Ritchey Comp-23 on which the Vantage Comp wheels were standard and found it came with 26/36/46 t crankset and 7 speed 12-28 rear (compared to 11-28 on the 930).
    What could the problem be? Is it a gear ratio niggle or maybe the shifter mechanism has an issue? Anyways here are a few pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! Restoring Trek 930-img_20120713_190233.jpg  

Help! Restoring Trek 930-img_20120713_190308.jpg  

Help! Restoring Trek 930-img_20120713_190257.jpg  

Ride More, Whine Less
    Most likely the front derailleur needs adjusting. This is a simple task and it is most likely a result of cable stretch. A simple check, albeit with a high crash potential, is to the rear in about gear 4 or 5 and the front in 2. Pedal slowly and switch to gear 3 on the front. Then reach down and pull the front derailleur cable where it separates from the seat tube (this only really works because the 930 has a top pull derailleur) while pedaling slowly to see if you get the chain to hop up to the third gear. Most likely it will if it was ever set up correctly. Depending on how much slack there is in the cable, you will need to either just adjust the barrel adjustment or loosen the bolt holding the cable to take some slack out. This is a whole lot easier if you have a bike work stand or a buddy to hold up the seat / rear wheel instead of doing the one man adjust on the fly job I just described.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Most likely the front derailleur needs adjusting. This is a simple task and it is most likely a result of cable stretch. A simple check, albeit with a high crash potential, is to the rear in about gear 4 or 5 and the front in 2. Pedal slowly and switch to gear 3 on the front. Then reach down and pull the front derailleur cable where it separates from the seat tube (this only really works because the 930 has a top pull derailleur) while pedaling slowly to see if you get the chain to hop up to the third gear. Most likely it will if it was ever set up correctly. Depending on how much slack there is in the cable, you will need to either just adjust the barrel adjustment or loosen the bolt holding the cable to take some slack out. This is a whole lot easier if you have a bike work stand or a buddy to hold up the seat / rear wheel instead of doing the one man adjust on the fly job I just described.
    Bike looks good. Thanks for keeping us updated. Follow heyyall's advice - exactly what I was going to suggest.

Ride More, Whine Less
    And while I'm not endorsing stealing bikes here, if that u-lock dates back 10 years or so, you should be able to remove it from the bike using a bic pen. Otherwise, get a dremel and cut through it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3bosEh5PUNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jun 2012
    @heyyall- Thanks for your advice.Tomorrow i will try and get the front derailleur adjusted.I will read up on how to adjust them.

Right now the ride is not very comfortable, since i lean towards the front of the bike (Looks like the frame is little too big for me!).Can i twist the handlebar 180 degrees so that it is positioned a little towards me and i do not have to lean in so much? (there is a small bend in it from factory,so i think it can be done) OR should i go for a handlebar which is bent more towards the riders (so i sit upright holding it)?

EDIT- I already got the U-Lock cut off, a friend helped me with it.However i could not imagine that we could get a U-Lock picked using a pen.Thanks for posting it will help many a rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey - that's my bike too - only your frame looks prettier! Note that the gripshifters (SRT400) are on mine too so BIKEPEDIA must be wrong this model uses "Shimano STX Rapidfire Plus w/Optical Gear Display" - they are SRAM SRT 400 grip shifts
    To identify that year trek 930 by its color "ice violet to ice green fade", see here:
    Trek Bike Models by Year and Color
    1994 catalog see page3:
    http://vintage-trek.com/images/trek/94/Trek94.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast