Dorkimus Prime

Help me remove Shimano Selecta BB cups...

Hi there,

I have an old twelve speed with the horizontal drops that I was trying to make rideable. The bike is a Sekine Milennia, circa ~1980. The left crank was loose and destroyed and after I removed it I noticed the eight spline shaft. I removed the arms, shaft, rings, but there doesn't seem to be any female part for a tool to mate to?

Is a pipe wrench the way to go?

Any idea if this bike would be English or Japanese threaded?

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

Ed

human dehumidifier
    You might find some help here http://tinyurl.com/dg8pkx
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

Dorkimus Prime
    Jeez thanks Bob,

I searched online. Found out alot about Selecta, but people were talking about using a freewheel removal tool...

My cups have absolutely nothing to mate with, the only thing I can think of is pipe wrench.

Unfortunately, I have to buy one.

Ed

human dehumidifier
    There's not a notch or anything on it, eh?

Good luck with the pipe wrench. It can be hard to grab something as narrow as a BB cup with one, and it'll definitely rip the paint right off the shell if you get that involved.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a couple sets of those shimano Selecta Cranks and have always removed the axle and used a shimano splined freewheel tool to remove the cups.

Dorkimus Prime
    I'll try to get some pics, maybe that'll help...

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by rollercam
    I have a couple sets of those shimano Selecta Cranks and have always removed the axle and used a shimano splined freewheel tool to remove the cups.
    Whattayaknow. With a bit of cleaning it appears there are splines. MY cassette tool(FR-5) wouldn't fit, neither would my FR-7 for Falcon freewheels. Do I need the FR-4 for Atom and Reginia freewheels? Any recollection?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    should be the old school splined tool (TL-FW30) from shimano that looks like there HG cassette lockring tool (TL-HG15)but the OD of the splines are slightly smaller and the length of the splines is about an 12mm instead of 5mm for the HG lockring style

Dorkimus Prime
    It was -20C here last night so I didn't spend to much time in the garage after my failed attempt at picture taking. However, I don't think I can get the tool through. I will check again...Today is expected to go up to 1C