mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Help me identify this vintage mountain bike

Just picked this up at the thrift store for $40. There isn't anything on the frame to indicate what kind of bike it is. There is a sticker on the upper part of the seatpost that says, "Kovachi Wheels". Haven't checked the wheelset yet, but did notice that it had STX hubs. Won't be bringing it home until tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me identify this vintage mountain bike-20180627_185212.jpg  

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Just picked this up at the thrift store for $40. There isn't anything on the frame to indicate what kind of bike it is. There is a sticker on the upper part of the seatpost that says, "Kovachi Wheels". Haven't checked the wheelset yet, but did notice that it had STX hubs. Won't be bringing it home until tomorrow.
    I think it's a Blur.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, turns out its not as vintage as I initially thought. I think its a mid 1990s Jamis Dakar.
    Last edited by getagrip; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like a Mongoose Amplifier/ AMP Research B-2 clone offered by Supergo.

DFA
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks, I think you guys could be be right! That would explain why the logos were removed!

However, I think it could also be a Jamis. The reason I think it might be a Jamis, rather than a Mongoose, is because the Dakars had Titec Hell Bent Handlebars, which this one has, and I can't find any Moongoose Amplifyers or Amp Researcg B3s that had them (the latter of which I can't find any with STX components).

https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/...=Dakar%20Sport

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=51840

Still, awesome information!

Interplanetary Poultry
    Thanks, I think you guys could be be right! That would explain why the logos were removed!

However, I think it could also be a Jamis. The reason I think it might be a Jamis, rather than a Mongoose, is because the Dakars had Titec Hell Bent Handlebars, which this one has, and I can't find any Moongoose Amplifyers or Amp Researcg B3s that had them (the latter of which I can't find any with STX components).

https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/...=Dakar%20Sport

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=51840

Still, awesome information!
    That Jamis has a linkage from the top tube to the shock mount, and a painted rear triangle. It's easy to see someone buying the Titec bars and installing them.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

DFA
    mtbr member
    Check the shock mount for cracks. It was their Achilles' heel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA View Post
    Check the shock mount for cracks. It was their Achilles' heel.

Thanks for the heads up. So far, the only thing that I've found wrong with it is that the seat post is jammed in all of the way and doesn't want to come out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here are some better photos - please let me know if these solidify which model this is. Also, does anyone recognize what fork that is without the stickers? I took closeups of the dials on top, which will hopefully be recognizable to someone. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me identify this vintage mountain bike-dscf4704.jpg  

Help me identify this vintage mountain bike-dscf4707.jpg  

Help me identify this vintage mountain bike-dscf4708.jpg  

Help me identify this vintage mountain bike-dscf4709.jpg  

Help me identify this vintage mountain bike-dscf4713.jpg  

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    The bike is a Mongoose Amplifier. Those photos seal it. Lock it in. Case closed. No correspondence will be entered into.

Don't get hung up on the parts, the bike looks like a bitsa.

Fork is a Manitou. Exact year and model is hard to tell without the decals but that's definitely a Manitou and that casting was from 96 and 97.

I think a 1997 Manitou Pro C is a starting point. The top caps aren't adjusters, unscrew them completely and there should be an elastomer stack in each side.

Plenty of threads around on removing stuck seat posts. Easiest is pull the crank and bottom bracket, turn it upside down and pour some penetrating lube into the set post, leave the bike upside down and let it soak for a day or 2. For a good penetrating lube, I can seriously recommend a home brew mix of 50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Trust me on that. I'm restoring a car, I've previously restored cars and vintage tractors and farm engines. Trust. Me.

Grumps

DFA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    I can seriously recommend a home brew mix of 50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Trust me on that. I'm restoring a car, I've previously restored cars and vintage tractors and farm engines. Trust. Me.
    Ed's Red

DFA
    mtbr member
    Here are some better photos - please let me know if these solidify which model this is.
    You asked the experts. You were told from the first pic you posted it's a Mongoose Amplifier 2. Hell, I went out to the garage and took a pic of my broken one to show you where they fail.

Now, if you had an Amplifier II, you'd be on to something. There were only 100 or so hand built in AZ before Mongoose screwed Frank on his invoice and started sourcing them (yours) from Taiwan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA View Post
    You asked the experts. You were told from the first pic you posted it's a Mongoose Amplifier 2. Hell, I went out to the garage and took a pic of my broken one to show you where they fail.

Now, if you had an Amplifier II, you'd be on to something. There were only 100 or so hand built in AZ before Mongoose screwed Frank on his invoice and started sourcing them (yours) from Taiwan.

Well, thankfully, mine is not broken. Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by getagrip; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:50 PM.