mtbr member

Help me identify this Hoo Koo E Koo

I am looking into buying this Hoo Koo e Koo I know it's early with the rigid fork but was wondering what year it was and is it steel. I'm looking to buy a rigid bike and making it my commuter.

How costly would it be to convert to a single speed?

mtbr member
    early-mid 90's & steel by looks of it. I can't quite tell on the shifters, are they push, push vs push + trigger? Ya might try looking thru old catalogs here

Single speeding it, depends on your budget.
    For the crankset -use existing middle ring or get a single speed specific one. To keep the chain on in front = bashguard & n-gear jumpstop (or grind off teeth of existing big ring for a 'bashring' or use frt derailleur as chain keeper). If just riding around town, you might not need chainkeeping devices.

Cut 1 1/4" pvc as spacers w/ SS cog in back or buy a kit for ~$25. You'll probably need to employ a tensioner of some kind or might get lucky with tension with your chain.... they sell half-links too.

loads of info on the singlespeed board, I'm sure they've got a faq.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

slow
    The decals look just like the decals on my wife's old 1991 Advance. I believe that is a '91. If so, the frame is double butted 4130 cro-moly.
    That would make a good SS conversion because you don't want to ride it with those Suntour Express shifters that are on it.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I'm pretty sure this is a 1990 model. I think the other color was green, but don't hold me to it since its been over twenty years since my last build!

This came with Suntour's Xpress shifters, and the crappy Suntour cassette as well. Dia Compe brakes that were hard to adjust and horrible stopping power also.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a 1990 model. I think the other color was green, but don't hold me to it since its been over twenty years since my last build!

This came with Suntour's Xpress shifters, and the crappy Suntour cassette as well. Dia Compe brakes that were hard to adjust and horrible stopping power also.
    In 1990 the HKII was offered, but not the Hoo-Koo-e-Koo. 1991 was the first year the down tube decal said Gary Fisher instead of just Fisher.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help going to see the bike after sandy passes

mtbr member
    Got the bike can't wait to convert to single speed. the shifters are triggers but they are awful. Brakes are weak but the old steel frame puts smile on my face.

mtbr member
    Hey guys looking to upgrade the brake levers, they hurt my hands with the amount of force it takes to stop the bike, I'm a big boy at 250lbs going from shimano hydros to center pull canti's.

Any help is appreciated. I wouldn't mind a set of bling anodized parts. I really like what I see in the show off your NOS parts thread.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You could also try some fresh brake pads. New pads work wonders over 20 year-old dried-out brake pads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you want better functioning brakes, get some shimano or avid Linear pull brakes and some cheap avid SD levers. They won't be period correct, but they'll be inexpensive and will be worlds above what you're workin with there. Save the old stuff in case you ever want to put it back to period correct, but if you're actually gonna ride this thing, I'd go with function over form here.

mtbr member
    Is an adapter required before changing to linear pulls, or do they use same threads as these canti's.

This is going to be my commuter so safety is definitely more important to me than having the bike period correct

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    They'll use the same brake mounts that the canti's do but you'll need new levers since the amount of cable pull is different between the 2 brake styles. You may also need to run housing from the brake lever to the rear brake if you don't have a cable stop for your current rear brake, which you likely don't.

That being said, you should be able to get the canti's working well enough for commuting by just swapping out the pads and fiddling until they're adjusted properly.