mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Help with ID'ing some tabs and mounts on a '90s Keith Lippy mountain tandem

This frame seems to have been built sometime in the mid '90s (140 rear spacing, 1" steer tube, painted-to-match Proforx suspension fork, under chainstay U-brake). It's got a couple tabs and bolts that I haven't been able to identify. I posted this in Tandems as well, but figured it wouldn't hurt to show it to the VRC crowd as well.

A single bolt on the top side of the down tube, above the bottle cage mounts:

Another single bolt on the side of the downtube:

A threaded tab on the non-drive-side chainstay (the boss to the right is for the under-chainstay U brake):

Looks like it had a Pro-Stop disc along with the u-brake. Probably a drag brake, I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy
    Last edited by francois; 01-28-2013 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I've seen some XL water bottle cages that take three bolts to attach, but if I recall the bolts were evenly spaced. Your extra bolt looks too far away from the others to be part of an XL water bottle cage.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Yeah, the blackburn b-52s don't look as long as that. Actually, I think this forum discussed this recently when another bike had those bolts.

I recall that Hollister knew the answer.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Some of the Potts have a roller on the drive side downtube near the bottom bracket for the cable to the rear derailleur.

for example, FFB's Potts here: The Pottsey twins, drop bars or flat bars?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Some of the Potts have a roller on the drive side downtube near the bottom bracket for the cable to the rear derailleur.

for example, FFB's Potts here: The Pottsey twins, drop bars or flat bars?
    At first I thought that one might be for a cable roller. But, if it was, I can't figure out what it would have operated, and there aren't any other cable stops or tubes that correspond with it. The four cables that go to the rear of the frame (F&R derailleurs, drag brake, and rim brake) are all routed through little brazed-on tubes on the underside of the BB shells. The paint appears to be original, so I don't think anything has been changed.