mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Help identifying bike frame

Looking for assistance in identifying a bike frame given to me by a friend. He bought it while living in Marin from someone who painted it camo to hide in the bushes while hiking and taking pictures or so the story goes. I believe my friend said the second down tube was added to increase stiffness. It still had the camo paint but I've had it powdercoated white and turned it into my townie. The parts on it were very nice (phil hubs/bb, king headset, etc) so I believe it's a better frame builder. The steerer tube is stamped Tange and it has Shimano dropouts.

I've checked with First Flight bikes thinking it might be a Breezer but was told this is not the case. Any insight into what this might be.
    I'm including pre and post powdercoat photos along with the serial # stamp

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help identifying bike frame-photo-1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images        

VRC Illuminati
    If it was a Breezer and you'd powder coated it white, you would have been stoned to death for defacing a bike worth 10's of thousands of dollars in its original state.

That said, cool lookin' bike and I have no clue who made it. Hopefully someone will be able to identify.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Didn't one of the bike rags ask for help in identifying a similar double downtube bike recently? They suspected it was a tandem made into a mMTB.

mtbr member
    If it had a Protovelo sticker on it, I'd call it a Rivendell that didn't work out and sleep well.

Any idea how old it is? What's the rear wheel spacing?

You think it's a Tange fork? I don't think I've ever noticed a fork crown like it. That might be your tell...

mtbr member
    Didn't Univega make a bike like that? I used to have a red one with that frame, it came with Ukai Speedlines, 986 dia compes, SR sliding seatpost MTS100 i think along with a SR double clamp stem. The fork looks like a tange a heavy one too like the old cannondales had. Mine also had the pump mount in the same spot. I will see if i have any old pics of it laying around.
    1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    If it had a Protovelo sticker on it, I'd call it a Rivendell that didn't work out and sleep well.

Any idea how old it is? What's the rear wheel spacing?

You think it's a Tange fork? I don't think I've ever noticed a fork crown like it. That might be your tell...
    I think it's early 80's but not positive. The steerer says Tange so I'm assuming the rest of the tubing is. No idea on the lugs though. The seat tube has one bottle cage mount still showing so it looks like the downtube was added later.

Rear wheel spacing is 126mm