mtbr member
    Feb 2015

help with 83 Ritchey press fit bottom bracket

I'm looking to take out the press fit bottom bracket out of my 83 Ritchey, Not sure the proper steps. Is it basically taking the circlips out and tapping out the bearings? I really don't want to mess it up. Thanks for any advice

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Right, you don't. I have removed half dozen or so and it is a simple procedure providing that there isn't any amount of rust in the BB area. When you look down the seat tube with a bright light you will be able to see the condition. If you just see a lot of rust on the sleeve of the spindle it could be very problematic and you should abandon the idea of removing. The press fit bearings for those BB are very very robust. I would first remove the clips and then get a small pen knife and pry{carefully the rubber and tin backed bearing seal off the bearings. This way at least you can see one side of the exposed bearings. Then you can flush out with solvent and repack with grease. Most of the time this is all you need to do to bring back. I will let some one else explain how to tap out the axel from the sleeve spindle. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks, the reason I wanted to take out the bottom bracket because I noticed some gunk around / on what looks like a bottom bracket sleeve. I wanted to make sure there wasn't any rust in the area. Everything spins fine and is in good condition, as they say, don't fix it if it ain't broke. Hate to open up a can of worms..

Retro on Steroids
    That bearing was chosen for its availability. It is 35x17x10 mm, made for automatic garage doors, a common size and one of the few off the shelf items on those bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks CK, if I wanted to pop it out ,would I take the circlips off and then tap the spindle with a 2x4/ hammer until they pop out?

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by bellanti View Post
    Thanks CK, if I wanted to pop it out ,would I take the circlips off and then tap the spindle with a 2x4/ hammer until they pop out?
    Might want to throw some WD in there too, in case it's a little rusty. Spindles were made by several machine shops, Cook Bros, Chris King and Phil Wood. The spindle should have a shoulder to set the inner side of the bearing, depending on who made it. Some had circlips on the inner side.

Gary set the the bearings in place with the aid of a ball peen hammer and a deep 34mm socket. That's how you will remove the one that doesn't come out with the spindle, and put the new ones in.

mtbr member
    I learned something new today. Thanks CK.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks! Your such a wealth of knowledge on those bikes. I might give it a go and clean out the gunk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have done this too many times now on my Fisher. I used a rubber mallet to pop one bearing out by hitting the spindle. Then pop the spindle out of the bearing that came out, place it back into the bearing still in the bottom bracket, hit it with the rubber mallet and done. All bearings out and unharmed (if you want to use them again).

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    CK, one quick question.. during 83, did your shop hire anyone to assemble the bikes? It cool to know Tom built the frame, fork and handlebars, you most likely built the wheels and Gary/ you might have installed the bottom bracket and the rest of the bike. Out of all the bikes I own, this is the only one I can put names and faces to its production. The history of these bikes is what makes them so cool..thanks everyone

Retro on Steroids
    CK, one quick question.. during 83, did your shop hire anyone to assemble the bikes? It cool to know Tom built the frame, fork and handlebars, you most likely built the wheels and Gary/ you might have installed the bottom bracket and the rest of the bike. Out of all the bikes I own, this is the only one I can put names and faces to its production. The history of these bikes is what makes them so cool..thanks everyone
    By 1983 most of the wheels were built by Wheelsmith of Palo Alto. Only the custom bikes had hand-built wheels. By that time also Gary and I mostly worked in the front end of the business. We had three or four employees assembling bikes. Our best mechanic was a guy named Mike Flanagan; he did all the precision assemblies, including BBs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Cool, mine has the phil wood hubs with UKAI speedline rims, I would guess made by your shop.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    UKAI speedline rims.....my illusive rim I have been searching for while. Not sure how many cruiser bikes came with them but certainly don't see many vintage mtb's with them. 1983 what a pivotal time in mtb history. Seems everyone in the know wanted an iron in the fire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Seems like 83 +-was the last year you saw BMX\ road crossover parts on mountain bikes.

Retro on Steroids
    Seems like 83 +-was the last year you saw BMX\ road crossover parts on mountain bikes.
    Reason for that was that Shimano and Suntour had identified the market and had complete gruppos, one per bike, everything you need and not fifty things you don't need. After putting the equipment group together from a dozen suppliers for the first year or two, that changed everything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I guess that's why I like those Ritchey bikes from 81-83, they are all pretty much unique. I have rarely, if ever, seen two bikes with identical builds.